Can a 1x12 cab sound like a 4x12?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by btgulledge, Jul 20, 2019.

1. btgulledge

btgulledge Tele-Meister

I have a 5watt amp that sounds great through my marshall tv 4x12 w/greenbacks. I would like to make a 1x12 cab or combo with a 25w greenback that sounds similar for this amp. Is the air space the reason this cab sounds so good? Can a single 12 cab have that same tone as the big guy? I was thinking of dividing the volume of the 4 x 12 cab by 4 and building a 1x12 cab that way. Any thoughts?

WireLine likes this.
  2. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

Maybe a Thiele design with an EVM?

suave eddie, kbold and Obelisk like this.
  3. strat a various

strat a various Friend of Leo's

Can a 1x12 cab sound like a 4x12?

No.

Unless you put your ear really really close to the 4x12.

4. Mase

Mase Tele-Meister

Or if you get 4 of them....

5. jhundt

jhundt Doctor of Teleocity

you mean, really close like the way the soundman mikes the speaker?

So that everyone who is hearing the sound through the PA is hearing pretty much what a 1x12" sounds like?

6. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I have one of those Engl 1x12" cabs. It's ported, very heavy (for a 1x12") and puts out more bass than a 4x12" in comparison to the other frequencies.

In fact it's so dark I usually use it in combination with a bright cab (that is too bright by itself).

PhredE likes this.
  7. ClashCityTele

ClashCityTele Tele-Holic

I was going to say why can't you just plug your amp into one of the stereo 8 Ohm sockets (that all Marshall cabs have!).
    Then you would have a 2x12. Until I read the spec of the 1960TV cab:rolleyes:
    The amp should sound better through an 8 Ohm 2x12.

8. joe_cpwe

joe_cpwe Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

If a 1x12 could sound like a 4x12 would somebody be building and marketing that cabinet?

You may want to take a look at this video and these cabinets.

J-Flanders and RiverDog like this.
  9. PingGuo

PingGuo Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

The Thomas Blug designed 1-12 for the amp1 gets the closest I’ve ever heard. Idk how he did it but that thing is magical.

It’s very full sounding without being muddy or farty.

And I know for a fact that it sounds great with Marshall and Train Wreck style amps.

10. StrangerNY

StrangerNY Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I've got a prototype cabinet from a builder here on LI, and it gets damned close.

[​IMG]

From the front you're only seeing one of the ports. The back of the cabinet has a similar port at the bottom. Built from 9-ply voidless birch, loaded with an Eminence 1258.

It's might not have all the thump of a 4x12", but it's close enough.

- D

PhredE, Obelisk and nojazzhere like this.
  11. Obelisk

Obelisk Tele-Afflicted

This would be my suggestion. I use a stereo set of Mesa made Thiele cabs with a EVM-12L speaker in each cab with a Traynor head powering each cabinets. Those little Thiele cabs have a huge soundstage. I have never used one with a Celestion G12-80, but that would work great. I use a 6G3 Deluxe on top of a Mesa Thiele and it gets glorious overdrive(EVM-12L is a highly underrated for overdriven guitar sounds). The front ports are key to the design. For being a 1/4 the size of a 4x12, it sounds pretty big. It still won't get to the same zone as a 4x12 due to physics. A 4x12 simply creates a larger wavefront than a 1x12. I still prefer the sound of my two Thiele cabs over my 71 Marshall 4x12. That cab sounds great, but I can get all the volume and low end thump from the smaller Thiele cabs.

That cab looks wicked. I bet it gives a large soundstage in a relatively small package.

To the O/P. If you are going to build your own small cab, then make sure to use similar "Baltic Birch" plywood to eliminate rattles and other extraneous resonances. Here are the plans for the EV TL-806 cabinet that Mesa based their cab on. Mesa made their cab slightly wider to sit a Mk I head on top of the cab.

http://www.realoldiesradio.com/docs/EV/ElectroVoice_TL806.pdf

Well Executed and Ricky D. like this.
  12. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

No

Dismalhead and bftfender like this.
  13. jhundt

the point is: nobody is hearing this. Unless you are recording in a really good studio with a really good engineer who is wise and generous with ambient mic technique.

You are in a rehearsal room, basking in the glory of the 4x12 sound. It is SO wonderful! WOW!!

you take the 4x12 to a performance, the soundman is gonna close-up mic one speaker. All the ambiance that you loved is gone.

you take it to the studio and the engineer says, "oh sure, we'll mic it" and he does something similar. And you'll end up using a track that is run through a digital speaker modeller, anyway.

look at the real world, and you might see why a 4x12 is of limited usefulness. They do sound glorious when you are standing right in front of one.

Just like a big old Cadillac used to make you feel like a pimp-daddy when you drove through the streets of West Oakland after midnight...

14. joebloggs13

joebloggs13 Tele-Holic

In a word....No. :)

Dismalhead likes this.
  15. t-luxe

t-luxe Tele-Afflicted

Use an IR.

16. jhundt

what is an IR?

17. ahiddentableau

ahiddentableau Tele-Meister

18. G.Rotten

G.Rotten Tele-Holic

Well, the sound comes from having more than one speaker. The same 12" speaker by itself won't sound as full.

19. Tone Chase

Tone Chase Tele-Meister

I have a Dr. Z Monza combo with a single 10” Alnico Red Fang. When it’s cranked, you just might swear that it sounds like a big amp through a 412, or at least give it serious kudos for being that small, and sounding that big.

Playing the combo through various additional cabs makes it sound even better at lower volumes. Actual speaker choice, or matching various combinations of speakers just make it even more impressive.

I am sure that a great guitar player can make good combinations of gear sound dynamic, and large.

20. btgulledge

btgulledge Tele-Meister

Thanks for the responses! I was looking for the same bass response as the 4x12 but in a smaller package. Ive tried a few open back 1x12 combos with my amp plugged into the speaker and they were very flubby and loose on bass side. I even tried a 2x12 custom cab which was the worst, but has unknown speakers in it. I also have a RI blusebreaker that sounds terrible in the combo w/ vintage 30s, but sounds soooo good with that tv 4x12. ill check out that mesa design or maybe go get some ply and play around with a few sized boxes.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.