Can’t find wiring diagram for my esquire idea

dogmeat

Friend of Leo's
yes. either tone control affects both to some degree. and, turning either volume to zero kills both pickups. there are a couple ways people make it work, and if you watch guys play, you'll see a lot of guitarists fiddling with the controls during the song to get what they want

all I can say is try it. it might work fine but don't expect it to work how you think it will

2HBStrat

Friend of Leo's
yes. either tone control affects both to some degree. and, turning either volume to zero kills both pickups. there are a couple ways people make it work, and if you watch guys play, you'll see a lot of guitarists fiddling with the controls during the song to get what they want

all I can say is try it. it might work fine but don't expect it to work how you think it will
That depends on the wiring. My '99 Precision Deluxe has two pickups. You can turn either pickup completely off but the other pickup still works. That would work on a guitar as well.

dogmeat

Friend of Leo's
I have 3 guitars with 4 pot controls... they all do the same thing. never fooled much with a bass other than I built a lightweight P type for a friend (standard split coil with series/parallel). every Gibson (and others) I looked into had the pickup's hot to one corner of the pot, and the wiper terminal to the switch (which goes to the jack). they all work that way in both, kill one pup with the V-knob and it kills the other.... unless maybe if you have active electronics

2HBStrat

Friend of Leo's
I have 3 guitars with 4 pot controls... they all do the same thing. never fooled much with a bass other than I built a lightweight P type for a friend (standard split coil with series/parallel). every Gibson (and others) I looked into had the pickup's hot to one corner of the pot, and the wiper terminal to the switch (which goes to the jack). they all work that way in both, kill one pup with the V-knob and it kills the other.... unless maybe if you have active electronics
If you switch the hot wire to the the pot with the hot wire from the pot it makes the pickups independent.

dogmeat

Friend of Leo's
'spose so but thats not how Gibson etc wire them. in any case... the tone pot will still affect both pickups when in parallel

and for what its worth, so will the volume pot(s)... both of them

Last edited: