Camp guitar needs fixed again

Discussion in 'Acoustic Heaven' started by P Thought, Aug 3, 2020.

1. P Thought

P Thought Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

The strap button came out and when I pushed it back in it pushed the block out that was on that end of the guitar. That can't be good.

Good thing I brought along a tele for a spare!

2. rangercaster

rangercaster Poster Extraordinaire

I always bring a backup ...

Stuff happens ...

Jus sayin ...

3. Peegoo

Peegoo Friend of Leo's

It's easier to fix than you think, because you're overthinking it :twisted:

Tie a small loop on the end of a 30" length of 50-lb Nylon monofilament and pass the other end of the mono through the screw hole, into the guitar body. Pull the end of the mono from inside the guitar, poke it through the hole in the little block that popped loose, and securely tie a small washer on the end.

All that's left to do is apply some glue to the block and pull the loop (from outside the guitar), which brings the little block into contact with the inside of the guitar in perfect alignment with the stripped hole. Hang the guitar by the loop; the weight of the guitar imparts the clamping force, and in an hour you remove the Nylon mono and reinstall the strap button.

Mono is critical because wood glue doesn't stick to it.

rangercaster, JL_LI, howardlo and 5 others like this.
  4. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Friend of Leo's

Peegoo has a very good solution and I have used it to glue reinforcements inside guitars. Here is a semi hollow where the jack hole got blown out - I made a curved piece to fit inside and have pulled it in place with nylon line (weed wacker like if I recall)

IMG_2874.JPG

IMG_2877.JPG

In the second picture I've just wrapped the line around the little dowel and pull it tight by twisting. Later I drilled the patch out and installed a new jack - you will want to reinstall the end pin.

P Thought likes this.
  5. P Thought

Thanks for the tips. I think I should wait until I get home to fix it.

String tension: will I break it worse if I play it this way, or should I make the strings floppy?

6. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Friend of Leo's

You are talking about the strap button on the butt end of the guitar, aren't you? Not the one on the neck heel. I'm not sure how that would actually fail like you describe, it is pretty much an integral part of the structure of the guitar - both sides and top and back are all (supposed) to be glued to it. The Peegoo method will pull it back in place and provide clamping pressure, but I'm not sure how you are going to work glue into all the areas that need it.

The strap button itself if tapered like a big oversized bridge pin, it should be gently pressed into a tapered hole. I'd still struggling to see how that made the end block fail the way you describe. I have heard of cases where a big thumb on the end pin (like dropping the guitar on its butt) has split the block and even the sides, I haven't heard of the block comming loose.

To answer your specific question, string tension is pulling the lower bout (the area behind the bridge) up and rotating it forward. I guess that would be trying to pull the top away from the end block and might be doing further damage.

P Thought likes this.
  7. P Thought

Yes, that's what I am inclined to think too. I'll tune it to the key of limp and tow it home. I don't know what to do about those other surfaces that need glue.

@Freeman Keller, you might remember from the original repair thread ( lifted Bridge) that the investment wasn't too much in the first place, but it's a sweet little thing, perfect for its purpose, and I don't want to give up on it too easily.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2020
  8. P Thought

P.S. I ain't too proud to poke a couple dowels through the top and back if that's what it takes. My early repair has already broken the ugly barrier.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.