Calling out to all Hot Rod 52 owners...

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by Tele-Meister, Sep 26, 2021.

1. Tele-Meister

Tele-Meister Tele-Meister

Is your Telecaster bridge nickel or chrome??

On the [fender website](https://www.fender.com/en-US/parts/...od-telecaster-bridge-assembly/0091114049.html) it says this bridge is nickel, which is exactly what I'm looking for since my tele build got nickel hardware... But then I'm about to buy this bridge from Reverb, and I ask the seller if it's nickel, just to be sure (nickel, or any finish for that matter, wasn't mentioned in their product description). They tell me it's chrome, and that the Fender site probably is mistaken since all tele bridges Fender makes are in chrome finish.

So I'm back to square one now-- if you Hot Rod 52 guys can tell me if yours is nickel, or in chrome, that will help greatly! Maybe there's a bit of both who knows :lol:
    Also, since I'm looking for a nickel bridge, if anyone knows of a good nickel three brass compensated barrel bridge, I'd love to know about it (the only one I know is Joe Barden).

2. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's Ad Free Member

See if darrenriley.com lists the Hot Rod bridge. His descriptions are good.

Tele-Meister likes this.
  3. Tele-Meister

Cool site! Unfortunately he doesn’t mention the finish of the bridge— it’s on the site though!

archetype likes this.
  4. Si G X

Si G X Tele-Afflicted

"and that the Fender site probably is mistaken since all tele bridges Fender makes are in chrome finish."

I thought that was the case I must admit. I don't recall ever seeing a Fender bridge described as nickel. .. not that I'm any kind of authority on the matter. :D I do prefer nickel though and have looked before and not found one.

Tele-Meister likes this.
  5. Si G X

Si G X Tele-Afflicted

It looks Gotoh do a nickel finish option on their tele bridges.

6. Tele-Meister

darn it! But the site says nickel! Why would they mess up like that :lol:

I mean doesn’t this really look like nickel though? https://reverb.com/ca/p/fender-009-1114-049-american-vintage-hot-rod-telecaster-bridge-assembly

Can’t always trust your perception ;)

7. Tele-Meister

So yeah hot rod owners, ya got any nickel on your bridge?

And for anyone else, where did you guys get your nickel bridge? I’d like some that will look as “plain” and “typical” as possible. And brass saddles. Compensated? I’m not sure does it really matter?

8. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire

Theres a '52 HR owners Club with plenty of pics/members here.

Tele-Meister likes this.
  9. archetype

It wouldn't be the first time Fender has messed up on specs. :D

OTOH it might be nickel plated. It looks like a vintage bridge plate, but it's not. It's significantly thicker than Fender's "vintage" plate and AFAIK unique to the Hot Rod model.

Tele-Meister likes this.
  10. Tele-Meister

Thanks! I didn't know about that, that's going to help a lot. I'd also like if some hot rod owners (the guitar, but yeah hot rod car owners would be great too!) would give me some insight on their bridge finish, because as I said earlier, you can't trust perception... it may look like nickel but its not!

bender66 likes this.
  11. Tele-Meister

I know I might just get it anyways. It looks nickel, maybe it is. I'm sure the seller knows what he's talking about. I like that it's thicker that's pretty cool. I like the "Fender PAT Pend" I like the barrel saddles too. It just gotta be nickel! Ah so annoying, it's too bad. Anyone know of any thing similar but nickel? Maybe some Hot Rod Tele guys out there got nickel HR bridges... who knows o_O

12. Tele-Meister

For a second there I thought you were talking about GOTOH but the "G" got cut off :lol::lol::lol::lol:

13. old wrench

old wrench Friend of Leo's

I've been using the nickel plated bridge plates from Philadelphia Luthier Supply on my Tele builds -

Vintage Tele -style Bridge Plate w/ stagged sides - Half Satin Nickel - Philadelphia Luthier Tools & Supplies, LLC

They are real good quality - made in Nashville TN :)

PLS also sells good quality compensated saddles made by the same outfit that makes the bridge plates.

I've also used a couple of the nickel plated Gotoh bridges - they are good as well - same goes for their compensated saddles too

14. yegbert

yegbert Poster Extraordinaire

Tele-Meister likes this.
  15. Tele-Meister

https://reverb.com/item/10933711-ge...ge-compensated-staggered-brass-barrel-saddles

I mean this is actually perfect! But of course, it was sold 4 years ago. However, when I looked it up on google, I only get chrome results. I even found it on the Fender site and it says it is chrome. So I learned something new today: fender only makes chrome bridges. That's a bummer.

@old wrench, I want to thank you: that will most likely be what I'll do. Too bad the compensated saddles are out of stock. So are the nickel dome knobs and control plate... and tuners... I hope they get their stuff back in stock in the near future :)

old wrench likes this.
  16. archetype

It's difficult to render colors on-screen with all the variables involved, but in all the Hot Rod bridge pictures I've seen the plating looks more like nickel than chrome. IMO it looks like a lower surface sheen with the faintly warmer color of nickel plating. But... there's no way to tell from a pic on-screen.

Tele-Meister likes this.
  17. archetype

You can get any Fender bridge plate stripped and nickel plated by a good plating shop. Just be prepared to pay the cost of being a small job they slip in with others and wait for them to do a nickel batch.

I've looked at old listings for new '52 Hot Rods and none of them mention nickel hardware.

Old listings at Sweetwater, zZsounds, and GC show the same specs in slightly different formats:
    • Hardware: Chrome
    • Machine Heads: Fender/Gotoh® vintage-style tuning machines
    • Bridge: Vintage-style Tele bridge with three compensated brass saddles
    Sweetwater's old listing for the '52 Hot Rod in the Telebration series states chrome hardware, FWIW.

Tele-Meister likes this.
  18. Tele-Meister

Thank you so much for the information! I’m probably going to get the one from Philadelphia Luthier Tools. Thanks for the thing about the plating, I might do that for this chrome bridge cover I have.

archetype likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.