Calling On Pros and Semi-Pros Who Use No Effects

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Ben-Zion, Apr 28, 2019.

1. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

I do.
    And guess what, without pedals I can NOT play it ,in fact I have never played a cover in my entire life

https://superfunk12.bandcamp.com/

cyclopean and NWinther like this.
  2. CCK1

CCK1 TDPRI Member

For me, "pedals giveth, and pedals taketh away". If you want/need a phaser, delay, modulation, whatever, you have to use a pedal, and you get that effect. But again, just for me, anything that's between my guitar and my amp, with the exception of a high quality cable, takes a little "something" away from my sound. It is not anything the average person in the audience in the audience would notice, probably not even other guitarists would hear it. But I hear and feel the difference, and it can affect my playing, and not in a good way. My two cents worth, and probably worth a lot less...

3. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Sounds like experience with true bypass only setups that have no buffering.

If you give me only one true bypass pedal & two 10' cables I'll want to just plug one of the 10' cables directly into the amp and skip the pedal completely too, cause I'll think the setup sounds horrible when that pedal is off.

A true bypass pedal on a pedal board that has buffers in the right place is fine but I have never seen a True Bypass pedal that wasn't a major tone suck when it was off compared to just plugging one cable into the amp. That "something" that gets taken away is high frequency content from the increased capacitance of the TB pedal + extra cable!

Kind of makes me wonder about "always on" pedals too. Do you need that thing "always on" because you have a pile of TB pedals in the chain with no buffers?

I have 4 pedals on my input chain. There's no discernible sound difference to my ears vs plugging straight into the amp because some of the pedals have buffers.

Norris Vulcan likes this.
  4. Greg_L

Greg_L Tele-Holic

I do agree. You can't exactly swing your amp around the room, so if you need something like a phaser/flanger/chorus effect, you unfortunately have to use an idiot box. Time/modulation effects are unfortunately a sometimes necessary evil.

5. mrmousey

mrmousey Tele-Meister

Having posted my declaration of why I don't use effects, I feel I need to post a disclaimer......
    I totally get that in certain styles of music from certain eras, the sound of certain effects IS the sound
    One important thing we musicians do for our audience is to evoke a place and time
    Having the correct sound is an essential part of the process

cyclopean likes this.
  6. Velorex

Velorex Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I make my own music, but as the singing Frontman i like it easy on Guitar.
    Wah pedal for one song, distortion for a few. Princeton tremolo and reverb on one or two.

velorex

7. 11 Gauge

11 Gauge Doctor of Teleocity

I don't understand why it's "unfortunately" that you need to use them. Also, why consider them to be a necessary evil?

Why not also consider trem or 'verb hardwired inside an amp to also be necessary evils?

Most or all of these effects can be hardwired inside the amp. Why does it matter if it's hardwired in, or attached on the exterior?

Why do we continue to view the guitar and the amp as the "natural" components with electric guitar? It's electric guitar, after all. The guitar is dependent on the electronics that follow it to make sound, just as the amp is dependent on something that generates a signal to be placed at its input. Adding anything else in between need not be viewed as some sort of "negative application," unless one user's subjective view is better than another's.

"Pro user or not," these perceptions really seem to translate to being subjectively myopic, at best, IMO.

8. Greg_L

Greg_L Tele-Holic

No one's stopping you, or even trying to stop you, from using pedals.

mrmousey likes this.
  9. Jimmy Dean

Jimmy Dean Tele-Afflicted

I have had several great amps, over the years, that I really bonded with:

1) Ampeg Reverbrocket with tube tremolo & spring reverb.
    2) Norlin SG with spring reverb & Maestro Phase Shifter built in.
    3) Roland Jazz Chorus 120 with spring reverb & chorus.
    4) Fender 63 Vibroverb RI with spring reverb & tube tremolo.

I don't like modellers & these days , amps with spring reverb & tube tremolo are way too expensive for my taste.

These days I am bonded with my Quilter Route 101 & my Strymon Flint

10. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Poster Extraordinaire

I have a pedal board so that I can play the music I write and sound the way I want to sound. When I want it to sound like just an amp, its just an amp. From my writing to my guitar to my amp and effects I strive to, and have my own ‘voice’. Not sure how exactly “pedal people” was intended in your statement, but using a verb or a delay doesnt mean I cant write anymore than just using an amp means you can.
    Again, just look how many well respected original artist have a pedal board. Most original recordings use effects and this is precisely the reason in cover bands like/need to use them.
    The only justification we “pedal people” really need for using anything is the same one “non pedal people” are citing for not using them. We just f**** feel like it.

11. FenderLover

FenderLover Friend of Leo's

Wow, 5 pages later and that pretty much sums it up.;)

RetroTeleRod likes this.
  12. NWinther

NWinther Tele-Afflicted

It is all a blur...

13. cyclopean

cyclopean Friend of Leo's

depend upon, or make smart use of? would you ask a synth player not to use more than one of the filters?

how are you even defining "pro" in this conversation?

Jimmy Dean likes this.
  14. cyclopean

how does ego play into any of this? does it take ego to play music that isn't tonally boring?

Jimmy Dean likes this.
  15. cyclopean

just put a clean boost at the end of your board and boom, the tone suck is gone.

16. cyclopean

yes. with a dozen pedals on my board.

Jimmy Dean, Ignatius and 4pickupguy like this.
  17. Charlie Bernstein

Charlie Bernstein Poster Extraordinaire

Not a pro. But I've seen a few people play electric without pedals. Bill Kirchen, Mike Bloomfield, and Paul Simon come to mind right away.

They seemed to manage okay.

4pickupguy likes this.
  18. AngelStrummer

AngelStrummer Friend of Leo's

Where's The Edge when we need him?

Charlie Bernstein likes this.
  19. Charlie Bernstein

Or B.B?

20. Charlie Bernstein

I do. And there must be others, since I keep hearing new stuff on the radio.

But that's song writing. What's pedals got to do, got to do with it?

I play with a "nailer." He likes to get the exact sound and notes of the record. So he uses a lot of instruments and pedals. That's his mission, and he accomplishes it.

Whatever it takes, and by any means necessary!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.