1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Calling all Tele Detectives, help finding APC ADDER T300N?

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by guildguy516, Dec 23, 2019.

1. guildguy516

guildguy516 TDPRI Member

For those of you guys who remember Adder Pickups, they are no more. I purchased one years ago and it's been the mainstay in my gigging Tele since. I picked up a second Tele (back up for road) and I'm missing THAT neck pickup. Does anyone have one I could purchase or know where I could locate one? PMs or thread responses both welcome. Thank you and happy holidays!

PeterUK likes this.
  2. guildguy516

guildguy516 TDPRI Member

Nobody knows how to track one down?

3. That Cal Webway

That Cal Webway Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I think they were somewhere in the Chicago suburbs.

Maybe a former employee or whatever would have some, check on reverb or Craigslist in the area

I'm sure Crook guitars wouldnt give up their stash tho!

4. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

My best friend from HS was in a band for awhile and had a sorta endoresement deal with Adder. He didn't realize it meant venomous snake, I got a laugh out of that
    Very probable , as the band he was in at the time were based in Chicago

That Cal Webway likes this.
  5. AndyPanda

AndyPanda Tele-Holic

I'm curious how it differs from what is available today?

Not sure what it would cost, but I know Seymour Duncan could take the one you have and duplicate it.

6. Ringo

Ringo Poster Extraordinaire

The Lace Tele neck pickup may be pretty similar, IIRC there was some sort of connection between the 2 companies?
    I had an Adder Tele neck pickup years ago, it didn’t seem particularly special, lots of other pickups that I liked better, YMMV

Golem likes this.
  7. guildguy516

guildguy516 TDPRI Member

It's a very unique sounding pickup: I would say it's the love child of a 60s Strat neck and P90. It has big fat highs, clear lows, gently scooped so it can push an amp but not make it woofy, and the definition is exceptional. It's a very responsive pickup. It's Strat-y in nature but if you dig into it the mids seem to jump out a little more and you can push it into 50s PAF territory. I've been around the block, more like through the neighborhood, with gear and have not played one that I've liked quite as much as this one.

I have been told that the only pickup that gets decently close are the Fender SCN.

8. guildguy516

guildguy516 TDPRI Member

I believe the founders of both companies were brothers. I've read they started Lace, had a falling out and the one started Adder. Aesthetically Adder pickups do resemble Lace pickups, I don't have enough experience with Lace to know sonic similarities. I will be looking into this, thank you!

Golem likes this.
  9. guildguy516

guildguy516 TDPRI Member

Yes, in DesPlaines, I live in the next town over and can't find anyone or anything!

10. That Cal Webway

That Cal Webway Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Maybe doing the long task of calling all guitar shops in the huge Chicago area, and even repair places...

11. Sax-son

Sax-son Tele-Holic

I don't want to criticize your wanting a specific builder of a pickup. However, there has to be a close substitute for your favorites. There are so many great winders out there now that there has to be somebody that could build you what you need. Chances of finding a new set are most likely pretty slim depending on how long they have been out of business.

12. guildguy516

guildguy516 TDPRI Member

There are a lot of good winders on the market today and I've had great experiences with a few; a Tele neck pickup is a weird thing for me.

I am a 'plug n play' player, don't use many effects - if at all - and I don't get bent out of shape on woods, finishes, strings, pickups, cables, all that stuff that takes our focus away from playing. I buy a guitar that I already like how it plays and leave it be. A Telecaster neck pickup is my one exception.

It has been such a struggle to find one I am satisfied with! I searched for so long to find one I could get excited for, I even had a few made. They were good, not great. Someone recommended this Adder pickup and I've never looked back, this one pickup just does 'it' for me.

13. guildguy516

guildguy516 TDPRI Member

I annoyed all the local shops before posting here! ha

14. telemystix

telemystix Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I would put a wtb ad at

the gear page

i sold mine there about a year ago
    Maybe someone will have one to sell there

great great pickup

i currently have a seth lover hb in my tele neck which is really really good!

15. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

Have you given the Fender Twisted Tele neck pickup a try? It has a P90 vibe going on.

16. PeterUK

PeterUK Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I’d suggest placing a ‘looking to buy’ or ‘Wanted’ in the classifieds here and on TGP.

Good luck!

:) Peter

17. guildguy516

guildguy516 TDPRI Member

A user messaged me and offered one up for sale!

telemystix and That Cal Webway like this.
  18. guildguy516

guildguy516 TDPRI Member

A user read my thread and told me they had one sitting around they were willing to sell. Thanks for the advice!

naneek and PeterUK like this.
  19. guildguy516

guildguy516 TDPRI Member

I have heard great things about these pickups. The twisted Tele was going to be my next option but someone reached out to me with a T300 for sale. Thanks for your advice!

naneek likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.