Calling all Tele Detectives, help finding APC ADDER T300N?

guildguy516

TDPRI Member
For those of you guys who remember Adder Pickups, they are no more. I purchased one years ago and it's been the mainstay in my gigging Tele since. I picked up a second Tele (back up for road) and I'm missing THAT neck pickup. Does anyone have one I could purchase or know where I could locate one? PMs or thread responses both welcome. Thank you and happy holidays!

That Cal Webway

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
I think they were somewhere in the Chicago suburbs.

Maybe a former employee or whatever would have some, check on reverb or Craigslist in the area

I'm sure Crook guitars wouldnt give up their stash tho!

blowtorch

Telefied
Ad Free Member
My best friend from HS was in a band for awhile and had a sorta endoresement deal with Adder. He didn't realize it meant venomous snake, I got a laugh out of that
I think they were somewhere in the Chicago suburbs.
Very probable , as the band he was in at the time were based in Chicago

Ringo

Poster Extraordinaire
The Lace Tele neck pickup may be pretty similar, IIRC there was some sort of connection between the 2 companies?
I had an Adder Tele neck pickup years ago, it didn’t seem particularly special, lots of other pickups that I liked better, YMMV

guildguy516

TDPRI Member
I'm curious how it differs from what is available today?

Not sure what it would cost, but I know Seymour Duncan could take the one you have and duplicate it.

It's a very unique sounding pickup: I would say it's the love child of a 60s Strat neck and P90. It has big fat highs, clear lows, gently scooped so it can push an amp but not make it woofy, and the definition is exceptional. It's a very responsive pickup. It's Strat-y in nature but if you dig into it the mids seem to jump out a little more and you can push it into 50s PAF territory. I've been around the block, more like through the neighborhood, with gear and have not played one that I've liked quite as much as this one.

I have been told that the only pickup that gets decently close are the Fender SCN.

guildguy516

TDPRI Member
The Lace Tele neck pickup may be pretty similar, IIRC there was some sort of connection between the 2 companies?
I had an Adder Tele neck pickup years ago, it didn’t seem particularly special, lots of other pickups that I liked better, YMMV

I believe the founders of both companies were brothers. I've read they started Lace, had a falling out and the one started Adder. Aesthetically Adder pickups do resemble Lace pickups, I don't have enough experience with Lace to know sonic similarities. I will be looking into this, thank you!

That Cal Webway

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
Maybe doing the long task of calling all guitar shops in the huge Chicago area, and even repair places...

Sax-son

Tele-Afflicted
I don't want to criticize your wanting a specific builder of a pickup. However, there has to be a close substitute for your favorites. There are so many great winders out there now that there has to be somebody that could build you what you need. Chances of finding a new set are most likely pretty slim depending on how long they have been out of business.

guildguy516

TDPRI Member
I don't want to criticize your wanting a specific builder of a pickup. However, there has to be a close substitute for your favorites. There are so many great winders out there now that there has to be somebody that could build you what you need. Chances of finding a new set are most likely pretty slim depending on how long they have been out of business.

There are a lot of good winders on the market today and I've had great experiences with a few; a Tele neck pickup is a weird thing for me.

I am a 'plug n play' player, don't use many effects - if at all - and I don't get bent out of shape on woods, finishes, strings, pickups, cables, all that stuff that takes our focus away from playing. I buy a guitar that I already like how it plays and leave it be. A Telecaster neck pickup is my one exception.

It has been such a struggle to find one I am satisfied with! I searched for so long to find one I could get excited for, I even had a few made. They were good, not great. Someone recommended this Adder pickup and I've never looked back, this one pickup just does 'it' for me.

telemystix

Tele-Meister
Silver Supporter
I would put a wtb ad at

the gear page

i sold mine there about a year ago
Maybe someone will have one to sell there

great great pickup

i currently have a seth lover hb in my tele neck which is really really good!

PeterUK

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
For those of you guys who remember Adder Pickups, they are no more. I purchased one years ago and it's been the mainstay in my gigging Tele since. I picked up a second Tele (back up for road) and I'm missing THAT neck pickup. Does anyone have one I could purchase or know where I could locate one? PMs or thread responses both welcome. Thank you and happy holidays!

I’d suggest placing a ‘looking to buy’ or ‘Wanted’ in the classifieds here and on TGP.

Good luck!

:) Peter

guildguy516

TDPRI Member
Have you given the Fender Twisted Tele neck pickup a try? It has a P90 vibe going on.

I have heard great things about these pickups. The twisted Tele was going to be my next option but someone reached out to me with a T300 for sale. Thanks for your advice!