Calling all Super Reverb lovers.

Discussion in 'Amp Owners Clubs' started by ayetee, Jun 13, 2009.

1. Telemach_1

Telemach_1 Tele-Afflicted

Nothing to regret here. I know a quite few great players who own both but definitely prefer the SF over the BF. Great amp.

2. Tonemaster

Tonemaster Tele-Afflicted

Here is my latest aquisition,,,before and after.

T.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Green Lantern

Green Lantern Tele-Afflicted

I don't think so. I think there are enough people around who will buy it at a good price regardless of that, especially since so many people view it as a favorable mod. It would also be nice if you had a receipt from a reputable amplifier technician so potential buyers would know the work wasn't done just by any old dude screwing around in there.

4. TheRumRunner

TheRumRunner Tele-Afflicted

Tonemaster, that's a "Super" job ya'll did there.:D

DW

5. Wild Rice Chris

Wild Rice Chris Friend of Leo's

:D

6. Westreverb

Westreverb Tele-Meister

I got a Super 410 combo with Blue Alnico speakers
    Bought it in 94 and it's been Everything I've ever wanted
    My uneducated question is what is the difference between a Super Reverb 410 and a Super 410?
    thanks for any info

7. AjayTele

AjayTele Tele-Afflicted

Now gigging with an original 68 Silverface Super Reverb. Just a fabulous sound! :D

8. mistermullens

mistermullens Poster Extraordinaire

Had to take my '72 in because I wasnt getting any sound on the Vibrato channel. Turns out the EQ was all the way down. As a result, I discovered how great the normal channel is. One less knob makes it a little easier for me to get the sound I want.

Whoever had the amp before only did half a cap job, so I had that finished. He recommended I replace a transformer, and since he had one from a '68 Super Reverb, he dropped it in there. Lastly, he put the reverb and trem on both channels. Still sounds great, and can't wait to play a gig this weekend!

Sent from my T-Mobile myTouch 3G Slide using TDPRI

9. sledge57

sledge57 TDPRI Member

Here's my 73 SFSR, the speakers were swapped sometime ago and to be honest I don't even know what's in there yet.

But if I were to replace them what do you guys recommend?

Less efficient (not so loud.. :D) would be preferred...

[​IMG]

10. Wild Rice Chris

Wild Rice Chris Friend of Leo's

I hear good things about the Weber DT-10 speakers in a SR.
    https://taweber.powweb.com/weber/
    https://taweber.powweb.com/weber/dt10.html

11. StoogeSurfer

StoogeSurfer Tele-Afflicted

I put in some Weber 10A125s in my '73 Super. There are a close match to the CTS Alnico speakers. Not cheap at $95 each, but they are a high quality product.

12. Mik

Mik Tele-Afflicted

You may have a 1993-95 Fender Super of the Fender Pro Tube line of amps. A Super is not a Super Reverb, different circuitry and features and effects. You can read the specs and features of blackface and silverface Super Reverbs and the later Pro Tube series Super online at

http://www.thevintagesound.com/ffg/

13. SirJackdeFuzz

SirJackdeFuzz Friend of Leo's

I just have to post this :

. . . what a beautifull tone !

14. telerocker1988

telerocker1988 Tele-Afflicted

[​IMG]

The best amp I've ever played through by far. It's a 1968 Fender Super Reverb. Made the first week in 1968 with AB763 circuit, drip edge, 4 black lines on faceplate, original blue label speakers, the works. A Blackface in Silverface clothing. The original Blackface circuit. Sounds magical!

How I got this amp has it's own story. I was awake one morning getting ready to eat breakfast and I get a call from my grandpa. My grandpa said "Hey, there is some guitar gear in an auction today, just thought I'd tell you. It's nearby". I said really? He said "Yeah here is what they have. Gibson Grabber bass, Guild Acoustic, Fender Super Reverb, LAB Bass Amp......" I stopped him right then and I said go back, what did you just say? "Fender Super Reverb". I about lost my breath then and there. I asked for the auction link and pulled up pictures and there it was. What looked to be a dirty looking Silverface Fender amp. I knew nothing about how to date them but I did some research going by the pic and basically decided it was an early 70s at the latest and a great amp. Well I had a Dr Appt scheduled for that day in the afternoon, right before the auction, the appt was about 1 hour away. I called and cancelled it, and hurried over to the auction. It was an estate sale for some elderly people. I got there and there were NO musicians/guitarists there. ONE guy was looking at it and said he wanted it for a collectors item for his music room. He was not even a hardcore collector. The bidding started at $100 and before I knew it this guy and I were going back and forth. I took it to $500 after awhile and he didn't go any further. I got the amp!

I took it home and immediately called my amp tech who does work for a lot of people in this area and is VERY good. I brought it in the next day and he basically had to work his @ss off to clean it up, change the cable to a 3 prong cable and remove the death cap, as well as replace the outdated filter caps. The tubes he had tested showed they ALL needed replaced, including preamp tubes. The tubes were ALL original to the amp. So he boxed the tubes up and gave them to me and replaced them with modern JJ preamp tubes and Winged C power tubes and biased the amp and gave it a once over and also replaced the burnt out indicator light. I got the amp back the next week and as soon as I plugged it in - it was like magic. Things were coming out of me I never knew were possible. I'm a clean amp + overdrive pedal guy and it was taking my OD pedals like a Champ! It sounded so pure and clear and totally blew everything out of the water I had used up to that point. I was gigging with a Twin Reverb RI at the time and while it's a good roadproof amp, tonally this amp blew it away. The warmth yet clarity to the tone and the sustain and dynamics and sensitivity were unbelievable. I still wouldn't mind trying some NOS tubes in it some day when I have the money but even with current production tubes, this thing KILLS! It has been my main amp ever since but I have to be honest, I'm getting nervous about gigging it the more sentimental and close to it I become. I'm so afraid of something happening to my #1 guitar (which is like my wife and I love "her" to death) and my #1 amp I'm almost afraid to gig them. It's a worry to me. I still have tons of other guitars and still have the TRRI if I ever "retire" the pair..

Sorry about the guitar in the pic but she is my #1 and always has been. :lol: That said my #2 is indeed a Tele! ;)

15. ananikangel

ananikangel TDPRI Member

I DO love Super Reverbs!
    I just got my '70 Silverface today.

Attached Files:

16. tommytele

tommytele TDPRI Member

Killer Super Reverb

Over 25 years ago I bought a shell of a SF SR, it was a mess...missing speakers, modded with a master volume...completely raped. I took it to an amp repair guy at Prune Music in San Anselmo CA. I found him in the yellow pages, didn't know who he was. I had him fully restore the amp...4 10's, blackface set up, the works. It was not a cheap date but it turns out he was a master amp tech: the late great Sal Trentino (Neil Young's amp tech). I have never played an amp with tone so sweet. Amazing at very low volumes and flat out roars when cranked. Never failed me at any gig...it is a keeper

Attached Files:

17. mercy

mercy Tele-Meister

What are we talking at that time, just for giggles... 200 bucks? 500 to restore it?

18. tommytele

tommytele TDPRI Member

I asked Sal what he could do for $200 and he said "put speakers in it" then i said for $400 and he said "get you halfway home"

$780....he said i could pay him in installments and he did not know me from squat...I paid him straight up...a year before he passed away i called him (I heard his health was failing) and told him that my Super was acting up after telling him he had rebuilt it 20 years prior; he said that he wasn't doing repairs anymore but since he had done the work to come to his shop. i showed up and he plugged my amp in outside the shop door because it was so crowded inside. He handed me an old 50's Strat and turned the amp up to 5 or 6 and said play. OK...no pressure here right? I have Neil Young's amp tech telling me to play...well the pentatonic scale saved me that day and he did some tweaking and the amp was good as new.

19. Sombrero Top

Sombrero Top Tele-Meister

Gongrats! Cool amp, although I think your Super is a 1974 model. Washer under the pilot lamp and tailless logo indicates that.

20. Zounds Perspex

Zounds Perspex Tele-Meister

Just ordered a Vintage Sound Super Reverb clone! Hope that's close enough! Woot!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.