Calling all gardeners. Cat trouble

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Toadtele, May 24, 2020.

1. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

there’s a story where George Clooney was just starting out and he roomed with Richard Kind and if you saw a picture you’d know exactly who that guy is - he’s hysterically funny.

So they had a sick cat that was living with them and they took it to the vet and Richard was really worried about the cats health.

I guess the cat couldn’t poop.

So they got it home from the vet and gave it medicine and they were waiting and waiting and then one morning George Clooney took a dump in the litter box and he waited until Richard Kind woke up.

And he could hear from the other room Richard scream out “oh kitty! Good kitty! Good good kitty !”

:lol: I’m also laughing because of a joke I can’t tell…

johnny k, Toto'sDad and Torren61 like this.
  2. PlainAllman

PlainAllman Tele-Afflicted

My mother moved into a new home just about a year ago and discovered there is a feral cat problem in the neighborhood. Their solution so far has been the live trap and relocation method. They caught 8 in one weekend. Unfortunately it seems to be an unending battle. It is a hassle of course to have to take a ride and dump these animals somewhere to possibly become someone else’s problem but the shelter won’t take them.

3. tubelectron

tubelectron Tele-Afflicted

I am from the opposite clan, sorry... "On habite chez son Chat"

In our garden, cats can come and repart as they want. We just put grille around the very few elements we don't want them to touch, that's all.

But most of the time they stay here or around : they adopt us... "Un Chat n'appartient qu'à lui-même" :D

At the start came freely Tigrette and her daughter Tibou. They decided to stay :

[​IMG]

Then came Black&White :

[​IMG]

He quicky understood who were the mistresses :

[​IMG]

But finally managed adroitely to be accepted by the two Lady cats :

[​IMG]

Then came Minouche and Le Rouquin - not allowed to enter the house, and not wanting to :

[​IMG]

And then arrived Balthazar - seen here with Le Rouquin :

[​IMG]

OK, @Toadtele - now you understand why I'm completely unable to give you any advice to get rid of any cat coming in your garden, bien au contraire ! :)

-tbln

Alamo, johnny k, Strato50 and 2 others like this.
  4. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

Balthazar is a good looking cat !

5. jball85

jball85 TDPRI Member

Torren61 likes this.
  6. AndyPanda

AndyPanda Tele-Holic

I'm a cat lover - but my cat wears a harness and leash when he goes outside. The neighborhood is full of feral cats pissing and crapping everywhere and killing all the birds. I see no reason why cats should be allowed to run free and crap in my yard and spray my car. I have no patience for feral cats at all. I vote for the permanent solution! And that's coming from a cat lover.
    Kitty.jpg

7. stxrus

stxrus Poster Extraordinaire

The biggest problem is getting the “owners” to admit it’s their problem. If it was 2-3 cats it wouldn’t be a big issue but last year I trapped 42 cats in 32 days. The population was reduced to less than six including a pregnant female I never could catch. Within 2 months we were back at over 15.
    BTW, I am a cat lover NOT a feral lover. Rats that meow

PlainAllman, Torren61 and RoyBGood like this.
  8. OldPup

OldPup Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

There are motion activated sprinklers for nuisance animals. They take aim at the offending creature and hit them with a harmless stream of water until they scurry off. A friend of mine tried it for deer eating his garden and said it worked like a champ. You find them for not much money on amazon.

Strato50 likes this.
  9. kafka

kafka Tele-Afflicted

Cats can be good or awful. Like a dog, it depends on the training. Maybe this cat is otherwise well behaved, but it does need to learn the limits of it's territory. There's no reason to do harm to the cat, or be cruel to it's owner.

The scented stuff might work. I'm a little skeptical, but you can give it a try.

The automated sprinkler is a neat idea, but it sounds fidgity, and I can imagine it being more trouble than it's worth.

The super soaker will definitely work. I see absolutely no cruelty in it. It has the adantage of being associated with you, a human, so the cat will learn that the territory is occupied by someone unfriendly.

10. Switchy

Switchy Tele-Afflicted

whoa-whoa-whoa-just-take-it-easy-man-meme.jpg

Toadtele likes this.
  11. GGardner

GGardner Friend of Leo's

12. Torren61

Torren61 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

So if I had a dog and he came onto your property and killed your cat and I said “It’s a dog. They kill cats. It’s just what they do. Live with it.”, there would be no objections?

Lake Placid Blue likes this.
  13. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

Yeah hordes of feral cats can be a big problem, but this is a neighbors pet.

Some are calling a cat that leaves the owners yard a feral cat.

And seemingly even suggesting trapping and it seems burning the cat and sending the ashes to Scotland?
    Day yum!
    Sensitive are we???

I gotta say, I grew up in Maine, and Maine is Maine.
    Rural, old world, hand made stuff, old tractors, families with chickens running in the yard and out into the street.
    But Southern coastal Maine has been getting bought up by tourists from suburban corporate upper middle class regions of other states, and those folks are trying to turn Maine into the lifeless urban sprawl they wanted to escape.

Now it's illegal to keep chickens in my town, illegal to fire a gun, and it looks nothing like Maine any more.

Instead of hearing roosters crow in the morning, we hear imported laborers running lawn mowers, weed wackers and leaf blowers as they eliminate every trace of wild from each manicured property.

Last edited: May 25, 2020
    Toadtele likes this.
  14. stxrus

stxrus Poster Extraordinaire

I don’t know about your laws but if an animal, not belonging to me, comes on my property and is a hazard/nuisance I can take legal/physical action to correct the situation
    My suggestion to you is to trap the cat & take it to the shelter or animal control. File a police report so there is another paper trail. I know it’s a “pet” but the owner is not being responsible
    Your neighbor’s rights end as soon as yours are infringed upon

Toadtele and Lake Placid Blue like this.
  15. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

16. ping-ping-clicka

ping-ping-clicka Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

I had the same problem the many many feral cats were pooping every where in our garden and the have that terrible disease in their pooh, really not good, not goody, bad, bad.
    So I worked on my recipes got the balance between onions tomatoes, mild green chiles, cuman , and just a pinch of cilantro,
    rustled up the no lard corn tortillas and, presto change , nancy is your aunt and bertrand is your uncle..

huevo con gato! cat with eggs

17. Peegoo

Peegoo Friend of Leo's

Hav-a-hart trap. Bait it with canned cat food.

18. 41144

41144 Tele-Afflicted

I ( and Mrs 41144) hear your pain... Our anti-cat quest led us to...

Lots of cats don't like strong disinfectant smells.
    Here, that means Jayes fluid, a concentrated disinfectant - No idea if that's in the USA too or what your equivalent would be.

Either pour it neat onto the earth where you're trying to deter the cats from going (careful here it could kill plants it comes into contact with) or soak something, we use teabags, in the Jayes and then place them strategically where needed. ( We rest ours on top of bits of old crockery to make re-soaking them more effective.)
    Down side of the teabag thing is your garden could end up looking a mess of bits and pieces - just because of a neighbours cat(s)!

Heed the warnings about Jayes (or similar) it can stain like mad and is, of course, something that needs handling carefully. ;)

19. Strato50

Strato50 Tele-Afflicted

Lake Placid Blue and Toadtele like this.
  20. jimgchord

jimgchord Tele-Afflicted

Red ryder. Wont do any damage but it WILL leave a psychological impression.

Lake Placid Blue and Toadtele like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.