Calling all gardeners. Cat trouble

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Toadtele, May 24, 2020.

1. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Hit the nail right on the head there. I've said on here before that when we got Alex, he was sort of a rescue dog. He had a mind of his own, but I continued to work with him until he's now under voice command controls. He was never harmed, or beaten or any of that stuff, I just used the skills I developed in training hunting dogs to get him righted. Yesterday, when we returned from our walk, I unleashed him about a hundred and fifty feet from the house, and he decided he was going to head off on the side street we were crossing, a stern call to him was all that was needed to turn him around and come back to me, and head on home. If you are going to be an animal owner, you should have at least the rudimentary skills to train the animal to obey you, not because you want to have control, but because you MUST have control of him to safeguard his well being. Toto was so easily trained it was almost unnecessary, but I did work with him to make sure that he would obey me, because they do not always see the dangers to themselves, and it's up to you to take care of them.

Torren61 likes this.
  2. notmyusualuserid

notmyusualuserid Friend of Leo's

Which address would you like me to post? And is the OP cool with paying international livestock shipping fees?

telemnemonics, beagle and Manual Slim like this.
  3. Torren61

Torren61 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Ashes don't weigh much...

Lake Placid Blue and RoyBGood like this.
  4. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

You could foster a dog for a while if you dont want one permanently. Old Dog Haven, etc.
    Too big a space to put a hogwire fence around for a while? a few drive in posts..?
    Have you tried spraying the cat with the water hose? They hate that.

Lake Placid Blue likes this.
  5. medownsouth

medownsouth Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

I love it when threads devolve into a bickerfest about dumb **** - usually have to wait til Thanksgiving or Christmas to get this for free ;)

faulp, Lake Placid Blue and Toadtele like this.
  6. PlainAllman

PlainAllman Tele-Afflicted

Domesticated animals are another part of societal evolution. To keep order in a society people have to be responsible for their property and pets. If you had a lion escape from the local zoo would you just let it wander into the yard and eat your kids and then say it’s just a lion being a lion. I should hope not. Feral cat problems start because of irresponsible owners. One cat in the garden today can become feral cat fight club every night at 2 a.m.

Lake Placid Blue likes this.
  7. notmyusualuserid

notmyusualuserid Friend of Leo's

Ever considered a career in comedy? Here's a tip. Don't.

beagle likes this.
  8. cyclopean

cyclopean Friend of Leo's

cats hate the feel of tinfoil.

also, kidnapping someone's pet is really ****ed up and only an awful person would do that.

the cat's just acting on instinct.

9. johnny k

johnny k Friend of Leo's

Put tarmac on every square centimeters of your yard, and a hoop. Cats hate basketball.

Alamo and Torren61 like this.
  10. Torren61

ANYONE who advocates that a property owner should just allow an animal to exhibit destructive behavior to their property is not only wrong but they ARE the problem in every way. People who think that way should not be allowed to own animals of any kind because they are show an attitude of self entitlement. If you turn your animals loose and especially with no collar and tag, and that animal comes onto MY property and does damage to the work I did and spent money on, you're not likely to see the return of that animal. You don't deserve to own animals.

Lake Placid Blue and RoyBGood like this.
  11. Torren61

The owners are allowing that behavior. Be a responsible animal owner and there IS no problem.

12. otterhound

otterhound Poster Extraordinaire

Surround your yard with catnip and watch as this eternally stoned cat wanders aimlessly about . Don't forget to have a good laugh all the while .

faulp, Torren61, RoyBGood and 2 others like this.
  13. sean79

sean79 Poster Extraordinaire

The first rule of Feral Cat Fight Club is: you do not talk about Feral Cat Fight Club.

14. Matthias

Matthias Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

We've used a spray repellent that's a mix of citrus and peppermint and had some success. They use our shingle as a litter box but tend to stay away for a couple of weeks if we spray it. I bet you could mix your own.

15. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I think another Dog is the answer. It is nice to see there are many here who agree with me.

My latest dog,Jack, is a rescue.
    He is a Bearded Collie. Really nice guy.

Except to cats.

During his first month with us he asked to go outside to our fenced backyard.
    Within 15 Seconds he corners and killed a neighborhood cat!

Cats don't come around anymore.

RoyBGood likes this.
  16. Toadtele

Toadtele Tele-Afflicted

Not super comfortable with the direction this thread took. I agree with most of the sentiment expressed here. Even opposing sentiments.
    But at the root of this all was someone looking for an effective non violent solution to a problem. I probably opened some doors with a joke or two and assume that others here were joking at times as well.
    Anyway I went to my local feed store and was recommended a granular non harmful solution. I bought a couple different brands. All rated very well. In short, the cat is safe, hopefully my wife’s garden is protected, and more importantly I didn’t strain a relationship with my neighbors.
    Thanks for all the feedback.

17. loco gringo

loco gringo Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Jello shots. Won't do anything for the cat, but after 6 or 7 you won't care.

Toadtele likes this.
  18. Toadtele

Toadtele Tele-Afflicted

Way ahead of ya. My son brought over a dozen. I am caring less image.jpg

19. stxrus

stxrus Friend of Leo's

I have a real problem with a neighbor & feral cats. She used to trap them, get them fixed, shots, etc. that stopped a number of years ago. She just feeds them and does nothing else. The cats have, at times, made it impossible to eat outside. They have destroyed plants, pots, solar lights, you name it
    I don’t have any good solutions except trap and take to the local shelter or animal control.
    Feral are NOT pets but pests

I won’t go into any details but I have had to take aggressive action and we are looking into legal action ang getting the a Health Dept involved

I wish you luck with this horrible situation you are in

Torren61 likes this.
  20. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

Violence toward animals is not the answer to property damage and annoyance – almost any animal IMO, but especially a pet. That this is even being considered is horrible to me.

You can employ harmless methods. Water hose. Harmless chemical sprays that deter scratching. See if you can rig up motion activated sprinklers or noise emitters that you can turn on when you leave or go to bed. Do some research on how to keep cats off your land. There are passive and harmless methods.

The owner being forced to keep her cat in is the real solution. It's her responsibility. What do your local statues say about pet cats? Do they need to be kept indoors? Here, owners are responsible for the actions of their pets, including noise and damage...and most agencies that provide pets for adoptions will NOT adopt to you unless you promise that your adoptee will be an inside pet. There is probably a legal solution to your problem, which IMO is the proper solution – not violence toward animals. Get video of the cat in action. Research your local rules. Make reports to the proper authorities and/or file a lawsuit if necessary. Getting mad and doing violence in return is not the answer. The cat is just doing what cats do by instinct. It's the owner that's the problem, by letting the cat out in the first place, and then refusing to take responsibility and accountability for the results of doing so. Don't punish the cat for things that are the owner's fault.

Also, are you sure the cat is digging up the vegetable garden, and not raccoons?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.