Calling all gardeners. Cat trouble

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Toadtele, May 24, 2020.

1. beagle

beagle Friend of Leo's

Over here that's just tough luck. Cats are expected to be cats. Owning dogs has legal responsibilities, cats doesn't.

kodiakblair and notmyusualuserid like this.
  2. notmyusualuserid

notmyusualuserid Friend of Leo's

Dog ownership has legal responsibilities because cats don't usually chew the faces off children like dogs do.

kodiakblair, telemnemonics and beagle like this.
  3. beagle

beagle Friend of Leo's

Dogs can be trained, cats can't even be herded...

4. 5ofeight

5ofeight Tele-Holic

Are dogs licensed in the U.S.A like they are here in the U.K.?

Torren61 likes this.
  5. Toadtele

Toadtele Tele-Afflicted

Yes. They are supposed to be.
    Even cats are supposed to be.

telemnemonics, Torren61 and 5ofeight like this.
  6. beagle

beagle Friend of Leo's

Dogs haven't been licenced in the UK for over 30 years.

RoyBGood likes this.
  7. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Get yourself one of these. They work great! Check with your local laws, but here in the land of fruits and nuts it's still legal to trap a cat on your property, and take it to the pound. $49.99 at Home Depot. If you have to trap it twice, take it to the pound in the
    next town over.

HAVAHART Large 1-Door Professional Live Animal Cage Trap for Raccoon, Opossum, Groundhog, and Feral Cat.

[​IMG]

8. Switchy

Switchy Tele-Afflicted

Practical? I do it to my cat all the time, she doesn't mind. (*As much as a cat can not mind something)

Ethical? The cat is trespassing, get your nails done for free.

Legal? I'll bet that cat is not licensed, therefore technically feral. Taking it to the pound is an option. Or, trim the cats nails

9. Switchy

Switchy Tele-Afflicted

Wrong, I've heard my cat, I hear her all day long. :rolleyes:

10. scrapyardblue

scrapyardblue Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Wish I had a cat problem instead of a rabbit problem. This one was having lunch not more than 10 ft away....on a plant that was put in the ground just the day before. IMG_20200522_173600.jpg

telemnemonics, Torren61 and Toadtele like this.
  11. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

I absolutely despise cats. They're disgusting. I lived with a girlfriend who had at a minimum 3 at at time, at most 7. They sprayed my stereo, my TV, my Marshall 4X12 which would be considered "vintage" today, tore up the carpet, scratched everything.... then not too long ago, I (against my better judgement) brought a kitten home for my family. We had it de-clawed which was the best decision ever. It was the perfect cat. Seriously - friendly, funny, never damaged anything (because it was clawless). Then one day she decides to start taking a dump on the kitchen floor, and from that point on every dump was on the kitchen floor. We got rid of the cat.

In my opinion, cats are one step away from wild animals, even in their domesticated form. They are truly disgusting and their hateful demeanor is just the icing on the cake. I have a solution to your cat problem, but it's illegal on most municipalities.

12. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

I like cats and dogs just fine. If our dog takes a dump out on our walk, we pick it up put it in a sack. Cat owner's who find that they never have to pick up after their cat can rest assured ONE OF THEIR NEIGHBORS IS DOING IT EVERY DAY FOR THEM!

13. rz350

rz350 Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

I had cat problems in the garden years back, I took strips of galvanized fencing and buried them throughout the garden, I tied them all together with copper wire then connected that wire to a 7.5 watt incandescent bulb for current limiting purposes, then connected the other side of the bulb the hot side of my variac set at about 40 volts....

This provided enough voltage to deter the cat when it would dig and make contact, and also was safe enough that if I touched it, I felt it, but it wouldn't be fatal by any means to an animal, child, etc..

I saw the cat go in the garden, start doing it's digging thing, then it jumped up in the air and ran, I guess it worked, no more issues.

Make sure you know what you're doing if you attempt something like this.

14. voskarp

voskarp Tele-Holic

OK then, sorry for pooping on your advice. I’ll go to someone else’s flower bed next time.:D

15. notmyusualuserid

notmyusualuserid Friend of Leo's

I absolutely despise humans who think that cats, and cat owners, are a problem and who think the perfect solution is terminating the cat.

I happen to think that dogs are a fawning, noisy, smelly, waste of time but I wouldn't go out of my way to kill one.

16. Toadtele

Toadtele Tele-Afflicted

Funny you mention that. This cat doesn’t seem to mess in our yard. But her owner picks it up out of her yard and throws it in the street. Seriously. I almost have to hold my wife down every time she sees it.
    It sounds crazy but this is actually one of our best behaved neighbors.

telemnemonics, Torren61 and Toto'sDad like this.
  17. 5ofeight

5ofeight Tele-Holic

Well there you go, I don't own any animals so didn't realise the rules had changed since I was a kid and had a dog..

Torren61 and beagle like this.
  18. voskarp

voskarp Tele-Holic

Until you some day, possibly hung over, forget about it yourself...

19. voskarp

voskarp Tele-Holic

Wow, that sounds bad...

Ever considered moving?

20. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

Root cause analysis. If the problem is the cat, get rid of the cat. They are one step above squirrels and half a step above rats or mice. Everyone has a threshold for what they are willing to tolerate. I've pelted a few squirrels that have raided my bird feeder, because I'd rather see cardinals on it than tree rats, and that's my decision and my bias. And my property.

Not advocating that we should terminate peoples' pets, but the majority of cats running around are feral strays and nobody is vaccinating them. In fact, there are morons in my neighborhood feeding large "colonies" (as they call them) of cats, not vaccinating or neutering/spaying them, and we had two residents bitten by a rabid cat two years ago. Same cat.

Last edited: May 24, 2020
    Torren61 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.