Callin All Kat Fans , Epiphone Wildkat Royale Or Regular , I Got Gas

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by spruce, May 8, 2011.

1. spruce

spruce Banned

Ha ha lol , I ain't got one yet , I like em all except for the les Paul , they haven't hit our shores yet , I've narrowed it down , a riviera , swingster or wildkat , I could do with some help choosing the best guitar outta those 3 , oh and some help finding a white rhinestone jump suit , huh huh

2. paesano

paesano Tele-Meister

spruce, I gave it some more thought and decided the following:
    if the question stays evenly balanced on both sides, then maybe go with "the natural."

1. If you get a nice one and it sounds great, you'll be happy beyond measure.
    2. The natural will probably age much better and get "vintagey" with time.
    3. If you change your mind in the future, it might be a fair bit easier to sell/trade.
    4. It isn't "irreversible," since you'd sell the natural, then go ahead with the pearl.
    5. The Pearl is a sweetheart, but it has a strongly "forward" look you might tire of as months pass.
    6. It is doubtful that you would ever tire of the natural. Who doesn't like natural wood, hey?
    7. Not sure about this one. ? It may be possible to alter the natural's finish with darker amber tinted or even colored topcoats later on if you suddenly feel creative about this particular guitar or want it changed.
    8. If there are greater numbers in your area (when they finally arrive) you may be able to play several & have your choice.

Hope that eight-cents helps some. :)

3. spruce

spruce Banned

Some interesting points you made there , thanks

4. paesano

paesano Tele-Meister

Hey spruce, it isn't so easy to choose, I know. In any case, you're welcome. I think maybe you should go with your instinct on this one. All those eight reasons in the post above are all just, you know, more "logic" & "common sense" and "practicality" and all that other stuff that is completely useless if you actually like the other one better.

The "Rulebook" might need to be tossed out this time. (useless)

Not sure, but maybe you like the White Royale Wildkat a whole lot better.... So, I'll give that one another push to the front. Add one more vote to the Pearl White side of the decision now. The issue is this: since I voted for each guitar once, my two votes cancel each other out, and that's like I never even voted. Uhh-ohh, now I'm confused.

No worries! Either one then! :)

5. spruce

spruce Banned

now i dont know so much , i know like the gretsch 5120 white

6. Squier Buyer

Squier Buyer Tele-Meister

Yet another Wildkat fan

It's been awhile since we had another Wildkat lover speak up. I tried to by a new Kat to no avail. The local Long & McQuade didn't have a new one but showed me this used trade in. They couldn't tell me much more about it. They wanted $400 with custom case + tax. The new ones here are $470 without the case so I took it. When I got it home I looked on line for reviews. The first thing I noticed on line was the chrome pup covers and mine were black. When I opened the pocket in the case there was a plastic box with Lollars written on it. Wow I scored big time! Then on further investigation I noticed the nice roller bridge, not sure of the brand. I knew they had Grovers from the factory but mine had some 18/1 Gotohs. I added one more mod....the Gibby speed dials. That's about my skill level. The Jr has most of Bill's mods, so needless to say the two are a match made in heaven.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 1, 2011
  7. RickleTickle

RickleTickle TDPRI Member

Thats a hell of a deal! I hope you are still enjoying it.

8. stratokatsu

stratokatsu TDPRI Member

Sorry to dig up an old thread, but I'm curious...

I wanted P90s in a hollow body and the Wildkat is about the cheapest thing going. There seems to be a lot of mods done to these things, not the least of which are plastic pickup covers, roller brodges or dumping the Bigsby totally in favor of a trapeze tail piece, knob changes, tuner changes and custom made pickguards.

Earlier tonight, I bought a tinted natural flamed maple top Wildkat. Personally, I don't like trems and block all my Strats. I dislike Bigsby units most of all, so it's definite it will go.

What else have people done to these things?

Last edited: Nov 11, 2012
  9. djphelan01

djphelan01 Tele-Holic

From what I've heard you pretty much covered all the mods except for the wiring harness. I think Epi used to make an Alleykat that was pretty much the same without a Bigsby and some different pups. I used to have a lot of gas for one but it subsided until this thread, thanks!

10. TeleMan59

TeleMan59 Tele-Meister

The large amount of cheap wire used in the wiring harness really works to kill the high and lows of the sound. I rewired my brothers using quality wire and GFS pups and it made a huge difference.

11. mindwave

mindwave Tele-Meister

dopnt need the bling inlay, but Spruce's black on white triple p-90 is the one!

12. stratokatsu

stratokatsu TDPRI Member

The Wildkat arrived this morning. I'm impressed with the workmanship. The pickups are hotter than anything I'm used to, to such a point they sound harsh even at household volumes I play.

I'm about to order a trapeze tail piece for it since that's the main thing I want to replace. I'm not concerned about the dual volume, master tone arrangement, though someday maybe I'll rewire it with a master volume and dual tone more like the Strats I'm used to. The current master volume is of no consequence to me since I don't gig.

All in all, I have to say I'm very happy with what I got for my money.,
    [​IMG]

13. mauriciomarques

mauriciomarques TDPRI Member

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.