Calisthenics, tell me more...

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by DrPepper, Jul 16, 2019.

1. DrPepper

DrPepper Tele-Afflicted

I've been watching a few calisthenics videos on yt, looks interesting.

I never caught the bug when I was younger, but now at 60, out of shape with medical complications, I see something that looks promising if you put in the time and effort.

Who all here are into calisthenics?

Recommend some beginner exercises...

I will be getting a dip station soon, until then I will use my walker... :(

2. Manual Slim

Manual Slim Tele-Afflicted

I gave up my gym membership a few years back when my schedule changed and have relied on home body-weight exercises since then. It’s hard to go wrong with the classics. Also hard to give personal recommendations without knowing your particular circumstances, but push-ups, pull-ups, leg raises, squats, calf raises, planks, etc. are pretty effective.

Dennyf, Toadtele and DrPepper like this.
  3. strat a various

strat a various Friend of Leo's

I'd suggest Jazzercise, but some people don't like Jazz. Honestly, if you have health challenges, you should be asking a physical therapist ... you could hurt yourself, dude.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2019
    DrPepper likes this.
  4. basher

basher Tele-Afflicted

DrPepper and Deeve like this.
  5. Deeve

Deeve Friend of Leo's

I came late to the moving the body game, so I'd suggest starting easy, and w/ some guidance. The gym I joined encourages a meeting w/ a trainer every 6 weeks to review current routine, confirm the moves are safe/appropriate, and suggests a few changes to keep tings fresh.

Lifting your own body weight is a good test of progress - pull ups, push ups, curl ups, planks, single-leg-stands . . . but there are time when a smaller weight can be useful, esp when starting (and I still consider myself a starter)
    @basher reddit list looks great

Good on ya, @DrPepper

Peace - Deeve

Last edited: Jul 16, 2019
    DrPepper likes this.
  6. ricknbaker

ricknbaker Tele-Afflicted

DrPepper likes this.
  7. DrPepper

DrPepper Tele-Afflicted

8. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

I slept better and relaxed better when I did exercise. Proper exercises specifically to strengthen my back muscles relieved common back pain too. Everyone thinks it's discs or bones but often back issues are the muscles. It's the muscles that hold you up. But, I just cant seem to exercise anymore. It's just boring and hard! Maybe something like jazzercise would be easier. I have joint issues so cant run, even on a treadmill. But can sit and do a bike no problem.

9. DrPepper

DrPepper Tele-Afflicted

I have been doing restorative exercises since March, and started a few dumbbell exercises a few weeks ago. Last week, I started tracking calories and macros in an online app. My weight loss has stalled while tracking calories to figure out my BMR.

i'm a beginner, not a first for me, but when I commit, I'm OCD... Looking forward to getting toned and stronger.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.