1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Caline Stack Attack

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by richey88, Apr 6, 2021.

1. richey88

richey88 Friend of Leo's

Saw this and decided to try one. Just delivered, haven’t had a chance to fire it up. Anyone have any experience?? Interested in the compression, 2 preset settings, what is the drive section a clone of? Hopefully get to test drive tomorrow, will report back. Bueller? Anyone?

Attached Files:

kevsonic and 4pickupguy like this.
  2. richey88

richey88 Friend of Leo's

Also, color me out of touch, is that a LOTR graphic?

4pickupguy likes this.
  3. Refugee

Refugee Tele-Meister

Are you sure that's not a game controller. LOL!

emisilly likes this.
  4. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

emisilly likes this.
  5. DougM

DougM Poster Extraordinaire

All they say is that it's based on a US classic. With bass and treble, it could be a Timmy, BB Preamp, or RC booster, because they've used all those circuits before. I just got their Queen Bee (Sweet Honey clone), Mellow drive (Dumble/Zendrive type), and Enchanted Tone, which they say is also a Dumble type, but it's a lot lower gain than the Mellow drive (maybe it's supposed to be like a Steel String Singer instead of a ODS). I took it apart and I see no op-amps or clipping diodes, only two pairs of transistors. It's very low gain and open, the other two are higher gain, with the Mellow Drive being the highest gain and most compressed. But, overall, they're all very open, dynamic, and amp like, IMO. Caline never fails to impress me. My other favorites from them are the Medusa (their take on the Archer Ikon), the Movall Minotaur, which is just a repackaged Azor AP-320, which is Azor's Klon type (Azor is Caline's mini pedal line), and the Azor AP-318, their mini Timmy type.

71W2hZBEEVL._AC_SL1500_.jpg 71zsOYNYWDL._AC_SX425_.jpg 71Hxgtx0aDL._AC_SL1500_.jpg minotaur.jpg s-l640.jpg medusa.jpg

bgmacaw likes this.
  6. DougM

Here's the pedal that's hiding inside the Movall Minotaur
    2_b1d06802-cc1d-4cc5-92a3-04cb03e1d82a_1400x.jpg

7. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

Could this be related?
    [​IMG]
    It's from an earlier Movall series.

8. DougM

Apparently the earlier Movall pedals were designed by the guy who left and started his own company, the very popular and loved Tone City brand of minis. I have their Bad Horse Klon and their Durple, which is Danish Pete's tweaked version of their Mandragora. I guess the current Movall pedals are rebranded Caline made ones.
    www.tonecityaudio.com/index.htnl

9. DougM

I found the whole new line of Movall pedals on Reverb. They're all just repackaged Azor pedals, and the even use the same model numbers. If Azor calls it an AP-315, then Movall calls it a Movall MP-315, etc. They're all $35, which is a little higher than the original Azor versions, but they have nicer cases and graphics. The Reverb page also shows some older Movall pedals that aren't Azor ones, but those are all around $100.
    https://reverb.com/brand/movall-audio-1

10. 11 Gauge

11 Gauge Doctor of Teleocity

I bet it doesn't actually have a traditional compressor circuit in it, because there's no controls for that.

My guess is that it's a BB Preamp clone, with the switch being for different types of clipping diodes. If that's the case and this one is priced similar to other BB Pre clones, it might be worth it to have the toggle, too.

schenkadere and Chiogtr4x like this.
  11. richey88

richey88 Friend of Leo's

The switch is for light and heavier compression. Drive sounds a lot like the Pure Sky, goes a little heavier. I have a BB Pre clone both stack well with the Stack Attack, I think this will be fun! The BB clone sounds good with and without the SA. You can sustain chords and notes on relatively low gain settings, kinda cool. Wish I could try it out with a band. Been over a year

4pickupguy and DougM like this.
  12. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Doctor of Teleocity

This Caline gets its first gig ( and my first electric band gig of 2021) on Friday, yay!

It's a new Caline BB clone + dedicated clean Boost switch and Volume knob ( OD does not have to be on for Boost to work)

Will see ( hear) how things sound
    20210227_125934.jpg

kevsonic, olefudd and DougM like this.
  13. DougM

My Joyo Zip Amp which is their BB clone, has the 3 way toggle for clipping levels, similar to the Wampler Euphoria, with the left setting (top on the Euphoria, because it switches up, middle, down, instead of left, middle, right) the standard setting, and middle setting the most open and lowest compression/clipping, and the right being the highest.
    13709131_800.jpg Wampler-Euphoria-PI.jpg

14. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Tele-Afflicted

When I think of a US classic preamp first thing to mind is Alembic F2B, basically the input section of Fender Bandmaster and others.

15. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Doctor of Teleocity

That appears to be Gandalf the Gray.

richey88 likes this.
  16. kevsonic

kevsonic Tele-Meister

I can't tell either. It doesn't quite resemble the BB preamp I had a while ago or the Orange Burst, or a Timmy or Pure Sky. It's a really good one, but I just can't place it. It seems to be voiced pretty brightly, as I keep the Treble pot at or near 9 o'clock.

The Enchanted Tone is incredible. As I bump up the Gain I bump up the Filter, and it's lovely.

I want a few of their dual-drive pedals, but I certainly don't need them. I just know they'll be phenomenal. The Brigade looks like a sure winner, as does the Andes and Key West. Their naming process is completely mysterious to me.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2021
    richey88 likes this.
  17. DougM

It could be based on their Highwayman, which is their other pedal with bass and treble controls, which is an RC Booster clone.

driver8 likes this.
  18. DougM

I'm using the Enchanted Tone first in line, and I use it as an always on pedal, where it makes all my other drives sound "more good", as Josh at JHS would say, without altering their tone at all. It really is enchanted, and sprinkles its magic fairy dust on them all, enhancing their tone and dynamics. I have yet to find a drive pedal that doesn't sound better with it in front of them. Someone on YouTube said that it's similar to a Colorsound Powerboost.
    When I looked inside, I found no op-amps or clipping diodes, only two pairs of transistors, which apparently is similar to the Powerboost circuit.

richey88 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.