1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Caline Pedal Owners Club

Discussion in 'Pedal/Effects Owners Clubs' started by StormJH1, Mar 6, 2015.

1. HowserX

HowserX TDPRI Member

Has anyone tried the Caline power supply? I like the face that it has 500Ma outputs as well as a great price. Just wondering if they are isolated well or noisy...

2. sliberty

sliberty Tele-Afflicted

I haven't tried a Caline power supply, but I did use a Mosky mini power supply. I would expect that the quality would be similar since so much of the Chinese stuff is actually manufactured together and just branded differently. My experience with the Mosky was good. It may not be as fully isolated as the high priced, name brand stuff, but it did eliminate the noises and other problems I was having with a daisy chain cable. I'd expect the Caline to be fine.

3. misterdl

misterdl TDPRI Member

Just ordered the cp-21 (rock face) for a bit less than 11$ !!! I thought it was a mistake from the seller but he sent it !!!

Staypuft1652 likes this.
  4. dswo

dswo Tele-Holic

Where?

5. misterdl

misterdl TDPRI Member

Aliexpress but it's too late, seller has adapted the price.

6. Guitaryellow

Guitaryellow Tele-Meister

To be honest I had the orange burst just to see how it compared to the BBE. I found the pedal had a lot of juice and really liked it to the point I took it to a rehearsal, thats where the price/quality became evident as the noise it created with the juice on was too much.
    My gear has to be silent even with my amp on full tilt, thus i sold it, however i did really like it.
    Everything for me needs to cut it live for a new flavour, in general I find the pedals that sound good at home are not so good live and vice versa. HOWEVER it did have a unique sound and i may get another for home, my 2 fav pedasl not by choice but by faithful gig after gig is Pigtronix class A boost and the Crunch Box V2 by MI audio.

opend likes this.
  7. Guitaryellow

Yes V2 i hear some say, each Crunch Box replaced the previous and the Super Crunch Box V2 was the first one to hit the UK direct from MI.

8. DougM

DougM Poster Extraordinaire

I've only tried Caline OD pedals, and they're all great, but my favorites are the Pegasus and Pure Sky. My least favorite was the Crazy Cacti.

9. olefudd

olefudd Tele-Meister

The only Caline I've tried and currently own is the Pure Sky and it's a keeper for sure!

10. sliberty

sliberty Tele-Afflicted

I’ve never had a noise issue with the Orange Burst. Or the Pure Sky. But funny thing... I loaned my OB Tom friend, and he complained of excessive noise. I think this is a good example of how elusive noise issues can be. A pedal that is inherently quiet can still pick up and amplify noise from other pedals if the power supply is not preventing this. I use a TheGigRig Isolators to prevent this problem. YMMV, and that’s the whole point of my post.

dswo likes this.
  11. Guitaryellow

I never have noise issues live or at home with any equipment as I buy the best leads/supply etc. When setup up in small places with PA' s etc and other amps the parameters change.
    Hi end is evident in this situation when everything is cooking, the only pedals that stood out in this situation we're Chinese and even a Friedman BE-OD which was the noisiest ever even with an ISP gate. The quietest being MXR mostly. I had a Mesa many years ago that picked up Taxi calls in the gig, funny at the time.

12. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Friend of Leo's

Just bought a white heat on amazon tonight. I wanted a DOD 250 reissue, but they’re discontinued. Reviews of the white heat sound purtnear close. $25 certainly makes it close enough for me! If it works out I’ll definitely buy some more Caline pedals in the future.

BTW. Will a common center negative adapter work with caline pedals?

13. sliberty

sliberty Tele-Afflicted

Yes, normal, Boss style plug / voltage / orientation.

Whatizitman likes this.
  14. Whatizitman

All the better! I use a behringer adapter. Not a ton of mA on tap, but I rarely use more than two pedals at a time, so hopefully should be good.

I just read somewhere that the pedal only clips the opamp, not diodes. That may be an issue. At worst I can try modding it. Can't really go wrong for $25.

15. Whatizitman

Verdict is...ok. Typical basic opamp boost and clip. I was hoping for more diode clip. I opened it up and sure enough, no clipping diodes. I don’t think modding it to add an asymmetrical clip (my fav) should be too difficult. But I’m a noob in pedal building and modding, so maybe someone could chime in who can tell from my pics if it’s something worth tackling.

Attached Files:

16. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I've had some Donner pedals I liked. The Calines, I've had echo, OD and some others... never bonded with them

17. Whatizitman

Soooo.. I modified my brand new White Heat, minutes after opening it. Just added some diodes (2x Ge, 1x Si) between the output cap and the level pot. Viola. Some dist/crunch/fuzz/buzz. A little compressed for my tastes, but I’ve heard worse. I liked it the more i played it.

The pedal is a little dark stock, and adding diodes without any filtering didn’t help that. But it’s not bad st all, and will suit my needs fine 24 bucks.

I have to say the pedal is solidly built. I’ll be buying more calines for sure.

Attached Files:

18. Bristlehound

Bristlehound Friend of Leo's

Interesting you should talk about this. I've been down the overdrive/distortion rabbit hole and tried several different pedals, and come to the conclusion that I don't like the clipping diodes in the op-amp feedback loop.

I've taken those style pedals off the board and replaced them with a FuzzDog pixel-drive (DIY FET-based MIAB), a RAT clone and a ROG Ginger (Ampeg SB-12 Portaflex adapted for use as a distortion stompbox). I use a DIY LPB-1 as a boost before the Ginger. I'm much happier with this set-up.

Whatizitman likes this.
  19. sliberty

sliberty Tele-Afflicted

I’ve found Caline pedals to be good sounding repros of commercially available pedals, and well made. But if the pedal you get is a clone of a pedal that maybe isn’t your cup of tea, then you likely won’t enjoy the Caline copy.

I’ve had great luck with the two I bought - PureSky and Orange Burst. I guess I’d like the Timmy and the BB Preamp that they copied.

20. Whatizitman

I’m convinced there is no perfect OD. Except maybe the Honey Bee. But I’m not paying for one. So far it’s the only one with diode clipping in the feedback loop that I’ve liked, that I know of. If Caline has a good clone of that I’d get it in a heartbeat.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.