1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Caline Pedal Owners Club

Discussion in 'Pedal/Effects Owners Clubs' started by StormJH1, Mar 6, 2015.

1. StormJH1

StormJH1 Tele-Holic

Caline does not, to my knowledge, but there is one from Mosky:

https://www.amazon.com/Andoer-Boost...d=1485874665&sr=8-1&keywords=mosky+xp+booster

Mosky is one of those super-cheap brands. I should preface this by saying that I actually bought a real Xotic EP Booster. I had bought a few other clones of Xotic pedals that I liked and decided that the EP Booster was interesting and unique enough (and usually hovers around $120, so not the most expensive "nice" pedal in the world) that I should flip some money their way.

I cannot speak to the Mosky version, but it looked good in videos. I got the SHO (Super Hard-On) clone because I've heard that is literally one of the simplest circuits in all of guitar effects. The Mosky SHO boost works quite well, though IIRC, it's a little sensitive to electrical interference with some power supplies.

The boost pedals are a such a primitive effect - I can swear up and down that this one is special and different from the $40 EHX LPB-1 you're using, but it's probably a very subtle difference. Where you use them in the chain and how you use them will have a bigger difference than the "quality" from pedal to pedal. All that being said, the Xotic EP Booster is so nicely made and has a nice warmth to it (plus a couple of DIP switches for added flexibility), so I'm happy with the purchase. If I wasn't on a pedal embargo, I'd probably be buying others from Xotic.

2. sliberty

sliberty Tele-Afflicted

Thanks for the info on the Mosky XP Booster (EP Booster copy). In reading the manual for the EP Booster, I think what I understand is:

1. The +3db boost switch affects the minimum setting of the boost knob. With it on, and the knob turned all the way left, there is a +3db boost. With it off, and the knob all the way left, you would be at unity gain.

2. The bright switch isn't really a bright switch at all - it is a bright roll off. ie: with it on, flat eq, with it off, some reduced highs.

Do I have this right?

3. Muris

Muris NEW MEMBER!

Heĺlo people
    I have Joyo British sound pedal but i want some nice overdrive infront of this pedal to get better sustain ,fater sound and sometimes nice almost clean overdriven sound...
    Im interested for Orange burst and maybe for Ultimate drive...
    So what you think...what is better solution for blues-rock sound and my setup (British sound + ?)
    Thanks in advance
    Muris

4. sliberty

sliberty Tele-Afflicted

Maria,

I am using the Orange Burst for blues rock and loving the results. I am using it into a mostly clean (maybe just the edge of breakup) Bassman, so my tones are big and fat. By keeping the OB on a low gain setting, but pushing the amp a big with the volume, and using the bass and treble controls to keep things from getting spiked, boomy or clubby, I can get tones that are not heavily distorted, but sing never-the-less.

What amp are you using?

5. sliberty

sliberty Tele-Afflicted

Thanks for posting this.You might get a kick out of my experience. I emailed them twice last week to ask what the current draw was on these two pedals. No response the first time (otherwise why would I email again :) ), but after the second email, they replied as follows:

Both pedals draw under 35mA

Hahaha. Well, I suppose that is true, but it was pretty lame to respond in that way when the actualy draw is much less. They could have just said " we don't know" :)

6. sliberty

sliberty Tele-Afflicted

Are there any good clones of the Xotic AC Booster out there? I am aware of the Mooer Flex Drive, but haven't seen any particularly impressive videos. There was one video of the real deal though that got my attention - wonderful smooth overdrive. Not fizzy or buzzy at all.

7. Bristlehound

Bristlehound Friend of Leo's

The Donner Boost Killer is a clone of the Xotic RC Booster... but I'm not sure how different that is to the AC Booster. However; the Boost Killer gets rave reviews.

8. sliberty

sliberty Tele-Afflicted

Thanks. I do have a Boost Killer, but it is my clean boost due to it a very low gain. Hoping the AC will be in between the RC and BB.

9. sliberty

sliberty Tele-Afflicted

Well, I bought the Mooer Flex Boost, and it is exactly what I thought it would be. It has more gain than the RC/Boost Killer by a mile. It also has less gain than the BB/Orange Burst. But more importantly, it sounds more compressed than the Orange Burst, which to my ear doesn't seem to compress much at all - very fast, dynamic response. The perceived compression may turn out to be a cool addition. I've added it to my board, at least for now. I think 5 boost/gain/overdrive pedals is a bit much, so something my fall off eventually. But for now, I'll have lots of variety.

10. StormJH1

StormJH1 Tele-Holic

Cool! Yeah, I've heard that Mooer is a solid pedal. I've A/B'ed the Caline Highway Man (their RC clone) with the RC Booster clone on my XTOMP and other similar pedals. It seemed to provide a similar function, but had a slightly different gain structure and break-up response (I liked the XTOMP's digital model better, coincidentailly).

It's just so difficult for me to completely write off boost pedals as "good" or "bad" - they really live and die based on the interaction with the pedal or amp they are pushing afterwards. For that reason, I think any boost pedal with good output and usable EQ control is a potentially useful device...and you're starting to see why I'm a hoarder. :)

sliberty likes this.
  11. sliberty

sliberty Tele-Afflicted

I wouldn't consider myself a hoarder, because I do get rid of pedals that I have no use for. But I do buy and build lots of pedals that have similar functions and differ in subtle ways. Yes, I am a boost-a-holic.

And I know what you mean about the interaction between guitar -> pedal -> amp. The Flex Boost sounded great with my Ric and 6G2A Princeton Amp clone. But might not sound as cool through my AC10C1. If it works well with my Epi Les Pauls as well, it may bump the Orange Burst off of my small board for a while.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2017
  12. StormJH1

StormJH1 Tele-Holic

I started the AC10C1 "club" thread - I was in on that amp from Day One. Still love it. But I've pretty much given up evaluating pedals based on how they interact with the AC10C1. It's just too unpredictable and atypical with pedals to pass meaningful judgement on, say, a Caline Orange Boost or Puffer Fuzz versus how those pedals would sound through a Fender or some other flat-EQ tone.
    I check the Caline website from time-to-time because it's sort of like a "few months ahead" preview of which pedals will be readily available on Amazon, etc. It's pretty much a laundry list of pedal types I stay away from in the Chinese brands:

http://www.calinemusic.com/articlelist/?98.htm

Multi-mode modulation pedals, pitch shifters, loopers, and noise gates...Nope.

On the plus side, the CP-31 "Head Room" is pretty clearly a Pro Co RAT clone. But I already own Mooer Black Secret - would bet it's the identical or very similar chip.[​IMG]

13. sliberty

sliberty Tele-Afflicted

So, the Flex Boost didn't work so well with the AC10, but I also tried it last night with my Fender Princeton 6G2 clone, and it was wonderful. I think it found a home on my small board for that situation. I'll have to play it with some other guitars first to be sure though - last night was unusual in thatI was playing my Ric 330/12, recently converted to a 6 string. Those pickups are not so high gain, so that might have been a factor. But it sang without getting grainy - really sweet and smooth. And the treble pot came in really handy as the 6G2 is a dark amp. I didn't want it too bright, but I was able to dial it into the range I wanted.

The Orange Burst and Pure Sky work great with my AC10, so they are both safe (for now).

I've always wondered about the Rat pedals, but haven't pulled the trigger on one yet. I have a perception that they are much higher gain than I typically use. And then I read people swearing by them with the Dist control down, and just loving the pedal (which ever clone they had). Is there a place for a Rat type in a classic rock rig? Or is it more for the 80's hair band stuff?

14. dswo

dswo Tele-Holic

This combination brings the rawk.

Attached Files:

15. Bobba

Bobba TDPRI Member

Firstly, thanks Storm - it was your comment on the orange burst being a BB clone that pushed me towards buying one a couple years back (new member, longtime lurker ;))

I remember searching for a more versatile tubescreamer replacement, considering the BB at the time, and then reading about the orange burst. "for £15, why not? it'll either give me a taste of the BB & help push me towards purchasing the real thing or i'll give it away to a friend if i don't like the sound" I ended up selling the tubescreamer shortly after it arrived.

I still have the orange burst, and was so impressed that not only did i never purchase the BB, i also got alot more Caline pedals! Some like the OB & CP-24 10 Band EQ have become permanent fixtures. Others such as CP-15 Heavy Metal (mine says Tantrum on the front, always makes me giggle) & CP-16 Mark 4 have become firm favorites. Others like the CP-30 Red Devil are still abit of a mystery to me. Coaxing a sound i like out of it is like a dark art; sometimes works great, others not so much.

I haven't gone as far as replacing all the old mainstays, my old DOD chorus will be with me to the grave, and others from EHX, Ibanez & even a couple Boss pedals, but these Caline/Joyo/ect pedals provide the opportunity for all to experiment with a minimum of cost and for me a great excuse to break out the soldering iron if i don't quite like it :)

16. sliberty

sliberty Tele-Afflicted

OK, a little off topic, but...

I have been pedal crazy lately, and have over-bought. Something has to give from my smaller board as I have finished building a KOT clone. So one of my Caline Orange Burst pedals is idle. The other one (I have 2) is still on my larger board.

These pedals don't cost all that much, so rather than sell, I am interested in trades. If you have a pedal that you aren't using and would be interested in trading it for an Orange Burst (BB Preamp copy - excellent!), let me know what you got.

And regarding the KOT, it is a very cool pedal. I'm in the honeymoon period - we'll see more Wed night when it goes to the jam with me. I am using it as follows:

1st channel -- std overdrive
    2nd channel -- clean boost

I've upped the input caps for more bottom end, and that worked really well.

Next up is a Vemuram Jan Ray clone. I've already populated the board with whatever parts I had on hand. I am waiting for the remaining parts and enclosure.

Help me stop......please.....

But in the mean time, give me a shout if you have something trade-able.

17. StormJH1

StormJH1 Tele-Holic

Great! Glad to hear it - I missed this post for some time but just stopped in. In the meantime, I also picked up the CP-24 EQ - it's a terrific companion to my Boss Katana 100. You can do some really cool things with a simple EQ pedal in the loop, particularly in terms of volume control/attenuation.

Do you actually have the CP-16 Mark 4? How does that sound? I've heard some videos that seem pretty good, but it's a little scare in that it lacks EQ control. I assume it's like the Ramble FX Marvel Drive, however, where you have a bassier channel and a treble one and you can blend them to taste.

18. kevsonic

kevsonic Tele-Meister

I just became a member of this esteemed club myself, having just gotten an Orange Burst and a Pure Sky over the last week. Each contain more tonal potential than I've ever dreamed possible at a price I've paid for a lunch once or twice. Can't decide if I'm enthusiastic or disheartened by this trend, but there you have it.

For actual discussion, though, any tips about changing out footswitches? Is it, for starters, something a repair-novice should attempt, or just live with it until I can swing/justify to my wife the costs of an actual BB Preamp and Timmy?

19. sliberty

sliberty Tele-Afflicted

I love both of those pedals. The Pure Sky is part of my base tone, and is virtually always on.

Are your foot switches not working properly?

I opened my Orange Burst (on our behalf) to see what is going on in there. The foot switch is soldered directly to the main circuit board. So, there would be 9 connections to unsolder and re-solder, and you would have to be a bit careful of course as you'll have to take the whole pedal apart and the reassemble it. Not rocket science, but if you are new to this stuff, it might seem daunting.

I assume the Pure Sky is configured the same way, but didn't open one up to confirm.

20. kevsonic

kevsonic Tele-Meister

The footswitches work fine, but the one on the Orange Burst in particular is so stiff and almost intrusively loud, not any sound that enters the signal itself but just a loud as hell mechanical click that can be heard too well in a quieter musical setting.

So far that's the one negative in what is otherwise a box of positives.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.