1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Caline Pedal Owners Club

Discussion in 'Pedal/Effects Owners Clubs' started by StormJH1, Mar 6, 2015.

1. funkysoul

funkysoul Tele-Meister

Im in this club to now.i just order a puffer fuzz.its my first and i hope it will fit my style

2. StormJH1

StormJH1 Tele-Holic

Congrats! I really liked the Puffer Fuzz. For about the $20 or whatever it cost, I thought it was unique and kind of cool of lower gain vintagey fuzz sound. I'm getting into fuzz a little bit lately - not a HUGE fuzz fan, but I'm willing to take risks on cheap import fuzzes because they're usually extremely simple circuits that have been around in some variation for 40+ years.

3. funkysoul

funkysoul Tele-Meister

Im not a pedal friendly guy i just use till now an ehx east river drive and a vox 847 wha.so i hope it'll be easy to dial up my sound

4. richey88

richey88 Friend of Leo's

Let us know how you like it...

5. wildschwein

wildschwein Tele-Afflicted

The boost is huge. Overall sound is glassy and clear. Not a huge amount of drive. Cleans up great. More options thsn I would use. Useful for sure.

6. InAbsentia

InAbsentia TDPRI Member

I've had a pure sky for probably around 6 months. Great great pedal. I use mine as a light OD, or clean boost, and it just sounds awesome. Very clear and transparent, very glassy sounding, and I just love it.

7. funkysoul

funkysoul Tele-Meister

Does any one know how do i make the cange in the puffer fuzz from 9 to 18 volts?

8. richey88

richey88 Friend of Leo's

Don't know how to increase voltage, but Puffer sounds killer hungry (starved volts). Has less output than I'd like, but that's what a boost pedal's for [emoji41]

9. funkysoul

funkysoul Tele-Meister

I found it very nice all over classic fuzz.eazy i get the sounds i want but i just would like it a bit darker just a bit....btw i learn that i must charge it with 18volt power supply

10. sliberty

sliberty Tele-Afflicted

(this was previously posted elsewhere, but I then became aware of this thread, so I copied the post here)

I just received my latest pedal purchase - a Caline Orange Burst. Rumor has it that this is an Xotic BB Preamp copy, some say clone, others say inspired by. I've never played a real BB Preamp, so I won't try to compare. But I will rave about the Caline.

Note - my initial tests were performed with an Epiphone 56 Les Paul Pro, directly into the Orange Burst, and then directly into my Fender 6G2 Princeton clone, equipped with a 12" JBL K-120.

This thing is very impressive. First, the Treble and Bass pots are very musical and responsive. The bass pot in particular expands the bottom end without getting muddy - wonderful. My only complaint there is that the best of the bass pot comes when it is nearly maxed out, but its so good, I don't care. Next, the gain pot. It ranges from a gainy clean boost to hard rock to raucous. I don't need raucous, but from 7 o'clock to noon on the gain pot is all useful and all great. The clean boost is especially interesting. Without the tone getting distorted, it gets very powerful, to the point of controlled feedback. This is partly driven by the settings of the volume pot as well, but regardless, clean feedback is a rare and wonderful thing, that I have only really experienced on my HiWatt Custom 100 before. Its quite exciting to achieve gain without distortion at this level. And as for the volume pot, watch out. This pedal has so much power behind it that you could potentially blow your speakers if they are closely matched to the output of your amp.

One negative - changing the battery requires removing the entire bottom instead of having a trap door. Not a problem for me. I never use internal batteries anymore.

I don't know if this thing sounds anything like a BB Preamp or not, but through my Princeton, I like it a lot. I can't wait to try it through my 864 Bassman copy on Wednesday at the weekly jam.

If you are looking for a clean boost, or an overdrive, or perhaps even a distortion pedal, it is worth a look.

Oh, and the best part, is the price. $30. These Chinese pedals (Joyo, Donner, Caline, Ammoon, Mooer, etc.) are just ridiculous. :)

StormJH1 likes this.
  11. StormJH1

StormJH1 Tele-Holic

@sliberty - Thanks for the comments about Caline Orange Burst. That was actually the pedal that led me to the Caline brand in the first place. If you are familiar with what to expect (and what not to expect) from the Chinese brands, I think you'll find the Caline brand a pleasant surprise in terms of build quality.

I've never owned a BB Preamp, either, BUT playing around with the various Chinese clones did lead me to purchase a new EP Booster from Xotic. The Orange Burst is a pretty interesting pedal, but I think of it more like an overdrive with active controls. The Pure Sky is supposedly a Timmy clone, and it's probably the Caline pedal that fits my style the best. It's an overdrive also, but more of a subtle clean boost variety with a good degree of transparency.

I also own the Highway Man (see the full roster here: https://ae01.alicdn.com/kf/HTB1Z18V...dal-directly-convenient-to-effects-pedals.jpg), which is an Xotic RC Booster clone. That pedal is interesting, though I don't think it's a totally faithful recreation of how the Xotic version works.

You mentioned the issue with batteries, and I agree. I have zero interest in removing 4 screws in all of my pedals to replace a 9V after every 10 hours of use, or whatever. Many of use BOSS-style wall adapters or a OneSpot daisy chain solution, but there is a vastly underappreciated $5 alternative that hardly anyone talks about (see picture below). The Eno PD-1 is an example of a cable that can hook up a 9V battery externally. This allows for the same portability of using an internal battery, but is much easier to switch from one pedal to the next. PLUS, many micro-sized pedals don't even allow for internal batteries, since they are too small, so this becomes invaluable. It works with any 9V center-negative (like BOSS, MXR, etc.) power jack, though I would prefer using it on something like a drive or fuzz pedal. Digital pedals like delays and reverbs probably draw power in excess of 100mA, and should be hooked up using a power source or wall adapter. Given how frequently I switch between pedals (and don't really use a fixed pedalboard setup), this has become the primary way I power pedals for quick jams.

[​IMG]

jddub440 likes this.
  12. sliberty

sliberty Tele-Afflicted

Hi Storm,

Yes, I am using a variety of external battery arrangements. On my smaller board, I have a battery pack that holds 8 - rechargeable AA batteries (2000mA types). When I power pedals individually, I use a similar arrangement for 9V's: either on a simple tether, or in a small battery box. I buy without a plug on the end so that I can put the plug on with the proper orientation. A lot of these things (not the Eno obviously) are made for CCTV, and so they are positive center if the plug is prewired. That type might work for your fuzz though...

[​IMG]

My larger board uses an isolated power supply, so I have to plug that into the AC :( but it works well.

BTW, off topic a bit, but since you mentioned the RC Booster, I believe that is what my Donner Boost Killer is based on. Great pedal too. Its on my larger board.

I almost bought the Pure Sky along with the Orange Burst, and still might. I held off initially, because I thought it would be too similar to the Emerson Paramount that I currently use (home made) for that cleanish transparent overdrive. But at such low $$, I might get one anyway since there has always been so much buzz about the Timmy pedals.

By the way, the Donner Yellow Fall delay pedal only draws 42mA :) Good battery candidate.

Small board: Caline Orange Burst into Donner Yellow Fall, running off of 8 AA rechargeable battery pack.

Larger board: Donner Tuner, home made Emerson Paramount, Monty Allums modified Blues Driver (nice, but always looking for alternatives to this - may get replaced by another Orange Burst at some point), Donner Boost Killer, Donner Alchemy, Donner Yellow Fall, Donner EQ, all powered by a Mosky Nano isolated power supply.

StormJH1 likes this.
  13. Dennyf

Dennyf Tele-Afflicted

I've got two of the "Blue Ocean" delays. I like the way the repeats degrade, and I like that the feedback (repeat) control goes all the way to self-regeneration territory. One day I'll actually use that in a musical performance instead of just self-amusement.

14. StormJH1

StormJH1 Tele-Holic

Not familiar with the Emerson, but looked it up and it looks like a very nice pedal. I have wayyy too many drive pedals as it is (and am currently on a self-imposed embargo), but I didn't regret the purchase of either the Orange Burst or the Pure Sky. The EQ controls were a big reason for that. But is it going to knock your Emerson out of rotation? No probably not.

Yes, the Donner Boost Killer is an RC Booster clone, and I passed on it for the same reason you were considering passing on the Pure Sky, but I've heard it's fantastic. There's a RC Booster clone on my Hotone XTOMP, so I A/B'ed it with the Caline Highway Man - the XTOMP version was clearly better, but they were also doing very different interpretations of the same thing.

That's the reason I own so many of the Chinese pedals - I felt like a lot of the things that made me love or hate a pedal were specific to my tastes, and could have just as easily resulted from a happy accident in using a "wrong" component in a SMT circuit, versus doing everything picture-perfect with handwired, expensive components. If I'm going to whiff on a pedal, and the chances of whiffing are reasonably similar on the $30 one versus the $200 one (again, just due to my tastes and ability/inability to tell a difference), then give me the $30 one and let me run out that bet 6 times instead of once.

15. sliberty

sliberty Tele-Afflicted

Same here. Low risk, high reward on these Donner/Joyo/Caline/etc. pedals. My only miss so far has been the Donner Blues Drive - two modes, one too thin, the other too fat (for my personal taste anyway). The rest of the pedals I've purchased can be described as somewhere between good and great. I really like to build pedals too (the simpler ones anyway), so when the schematic/layout is available and doesn't require a triple size box, I give it a try. The Emerson Paramount and EM Drive fit that category. In fact, I built the EM Drive into a mini enclosure (similar to what Donner and Mooer use in their mini lines). Tight, and imperfect for a first build in that form factor, but its cool anyway.

I'm trying to stop buying for a while so that I can decide what I really like and don't before I lay out anymore money. I'll be using that Orange Burst tonight at the jam, and will see how that turns out. I expect it will be very pleasing, as long as I have time to dial it in with my amp (I leave a Bassman 864 clone at the jam room). I'll report back tomorrow.

16. sliberty

sliberty Tele-Afflicted

Orange Burst Blues Jam report

Every Wed, I jam with a bunch of friends. The jam room is a basement filled with gear of all sorts. I leave a Bassman 864 copy head and a converted Marshall 1x12 combo cab as my speaker cabinet at the jam room. So, last night was the first chance for me to try the Orange Burst with the Bassman.

Setting the Bassman very clean, and setting the Orange Burst for moderate overdrive (Gain set at 10-11 O'Clock) created absolutely stellar tones. Somewhat Marshall like, but perhaps smoother. I noodled a little Live Cream like riffs, and loved the tones. The gain control is somewhat sensitive in that range. A small change results in very noticeable differences. 9 1/2 - 10 was MUCH cleaner but very powerful sounding. I used both of these settings during the jam, and really fell for this pedal.

Now, I just have to try to have some patience and not buy a second one right away. I had originally gotten this pedal for my larger board, which I use in rock settings. The weekly jam is mostly blues, and my smaller board has all I need for that purpose. It had a Blues Driver, but the Orange Burst has replaced the BD-2 for sure. I haven't used the OB pedal with my band yet (rock), but after I do, I may find myself buying a second one. I just want to make sure that it works well with my Vox AC4C1-12, which is at the rehearsal space. That test will be next week.

17. sliberty

sliberty Tele-Afflicted

Another pedal report:

I am a pedal-o-holic, and I have a real problem.

I said I was going to stop buying pedals for a while, but I didn't. I bought the Caline Pure Sky. I was concerned it might overlap too much with my Emerson Paramount clone. Well, it sort of does, but it is better. Its quieter for one thing, and it has separate bass and treble controls while the Emerson has just a tone control. But beyond that, this Timmy clone sounds AMAZING through my recent amp acquisition. I picked up a used AC10C1 to replace my AC4C1-12, which I plan to sell (at least that is what I keep telling myself). The Pure Sky may never be turned off while playing through the AC10. They mesh perfectly, and the results are ridiculous (in a good way).

So I now have the Orange burst for hard rock and blues, and the Pure Sky for more Pop oriented Rock. They are not on the same pedal board for now. I use the OB for the weekly blues jam (on my small board), and plan to use the Pure Sky with my band that plays rock (on my larger board with the Paramount and the Boost Killer among other things).

Now, I keep telling my self - Step away from the computer.

Does Caline make an EP Booster clone? I sort of hope not, cause I'll end up buying it immediately. Let me know anyway.

StormJH1 likes this.
  18. cm3ohana

cm3ohana TDPRI Member

Recently bought a Pure Sky since I needed a clean boost pedal. I have a Timmy and a Rat 2 on my board but just wanted a bit of clean boost during solos. Since I have a Timmy, I was able to also do a side by side comparison with the Pure Sky. The Timmy seemed to have a bit more body to the tone which made the Pure Sky sound a little thin in comparison. Otherwise, for the money, the Pure Sky is a great pedal and it's exceptionally quiet. I actually ended up using a TC Electronic Spark Mini in my last gig as a boost pedal but might keep the Pure Sky around since I'm still experimenting.

guitarmikey likes this.
  19. FenderLover

FenderLover Poster Extraordinaire

Remember that the knobs are not 1:1 between the two. The EQ on the Pure Sky are not cut controls like on the Timmy, so the positions will be different in a side-by-side comparison. They can be made to sound the same regardless of the reverse nature of the knobs. Of course, it doesn't have the diode switch either, but that's why I like it so much.

20. cm3ohana

cm3ohana TDPRI Member

Yep, I did discover during the side by side comparison that the Pure Sky EQ controls did operate differently than the Timmy. And, you're right, that the Timmy does have the diode switch which does make a difference in the tone as well. If I didn't have a Timmy, I would be more than happy with the Pure Sky.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.