Caline Leon - $29 OCD knock-off.....practice board gain changes

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by studio1087, Jan 10, 2020.

1. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

$29 on Amazon Prime. Ordered it Wednesday and had it on Thursday. It sounds like an OCD. Half way between overdrive and Distortion and very thick. Responds well to your right hand. I’ve never had a Caline pedal before.

I always had a TS808 style pedal and a crunchier pedal on the board that I leave at our practice space and I wasn’t thrilled with the big mid hump in the MXR pedal and I wasn’t thrilled with the harshness in the Baby Boom.

I threw my old Sparkle Drive on for Tom Petty and REM tones and I bought the Leon for Foo Fighters and Neil Young and Kenny Wayne Shepherd chunky stuff.

This may be the nicest knock-off that I’ve bought so far. $29 delivered! Amazon beat Reverb or eBay by a long shot on this one. I like the nasty fly for some reason. Pots feel thick and smooth, the footswitch and toggle are solid. Happy.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. fasteddie42

fasteddie42 Tele-Holic

looks like a beetle to me.

colnago and studio1087 like this.
  3. Switchy

Switchy Tele-Meister

You should try the Joyo Ultimate Drive too. It's a OCD clone. Can be found for $20.00

4. colnago

colnago Tele-Meister

I’m loving all the cheapo pedals these days. I just have about 20 of them.

studio1087 likes this.
  5. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Friend of Leo's

I've bought 5 Caline pedals and they've all been good.

colnago and studio1087 like this.
  6. studio1087

I’ve bought the Ultimate Drive.....twice. To my ear (and this is just my opinion so it’s not worth much) the Ultimate Drive is so thick and heavy that it goes way beyond an OCD. I think that an OCD has substantial gain but you can still hear the characteristics of your guitar. The Ultimate Drive was just too much for me. I’m rapidly becoming an old fart (mid 50’s) so take my opinion for what it’s worth.

I like the Leon a lot more than the Ultimate Drive. I think the Leon is more musical if that means anything.

colnago likes this.
  7. studio1087

Dumb question.....who is Leon?

What does it mean?

o_O

8. Frontier9

Frontier9 Friend of Leo's

Caline = no SMD components = easy to modify = win!

My next project - put an active Baxandall tone stack in the Caline Mark 4

studio1087 and colnago like this.
  9. maxvintage

maxvintage Friend of Leo's

I just got one of these. I was interested in an OCD, which I've never tried, and thought I'd try the clone first.

Really interesting pedal. Extremely touch sensitive. Does seem a little fizzy though. I might have to pony up for the real deal

studio1087 likes this.
  10. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Friend of Leo's

11. 8trackmind

8trackmind Tele-Holic

Just bought one on your recommendation. I've got mostly low gainers and fuzz's . (because I'm old too) This may be a good change of pace.

studio1087 likes this.
  12. Si G X

Si G X Tele-Meister

To me it sounds like a jcm900, some people say the same about that amp .... I like it though.

studio1087 likes this.
  13. trxx

trxx Tele-Holic

Still waiting on mine to arrive. In the meantime, I got a couple of other inexpensive pedals in.

The Caliine Blue Ocean delay showed up the other day. I wouldn't recommend that one. It has an odd noise issue in the decay that is very apparent, which I did not hear in any demos before buying. I will keep that in mind for anyone who demoed this pedal without mentioning the noise issue. And lots of people raved about it in text reviews. Anyway, it's a sterile sounding digital delay that has some analog-like qualities and odd trash in the decay. Bad value on that one.

I also got a Kokko Vibe in. It sounds like it did in demos. Good value. But keep in mind that it is a mini pedal and can't hold a battery internally.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2020
    studio1087 likes this.
  14. Old Smokey

Old Smokey TDPRI Member

No one else initially read that as Celine Dion?

15. studio1087

[​IMG]

16. Alamo

Alamo Doctor of Teleocity

What does Central Station have to do with it? are they infested with them? :confused:

...and who is Leon?

this one?

Jean_Reno_und_Natalie_Portman.jpg

Questions, questions ;)

studio1087 likes this.
  17. guitphil

guitphil TDPRI Member

Fwiw, I have the most recent Fulltone OCD (with switchable buffer) and also the Joyo ultimate drive. They are sonically in the same ballpark with the main difference (at least with the units I own) being in the pot taper on tone and output controls. I can get them to sound pretty much identical with some minor adjustments. I got the Joyo to do mods on but haven't done any yet.

studio1087 likes this.
  18. 8trackmind

8trackmind Tele-Holic

I already have a pedal that does Celine Dion tones...I don't as much use out of it as I had hoped.

studio1087 likes this.
  19. trxx

trxx Tele-Holic

Got another Caline pedal in the mail today. The Lucky 7 digital thing. Unfortunately it's a dud. It just makes a popping oscillation sound when switching it on. The knobs have zero effect on that.

1 with a bad noise issue, 1 dud. It isn't looking good so far on my end. I was hoping that overdrive would show up today. Maybe tomorrow. Hoping that it's better than their digital stuff.

studio1087 likes this.
  20. trxx

trxx Tele-Holic

The Leon Drive showed up in the mail today. Definitely a thumbs up on the sound of this one. Good value. If you want one dirt pedal that can go from clean boost (with a treble control) to full on overdrive without too much coloration and for not much money, this seems like a great option. It sounds like my amp but with a boost or more gain (around mid-gain marshall amount), depending on how it is dialed. Rockin with my old Super Reverb, and I don't see myself needing another dirt pedal in the future.

And for what it's worth, I'm not big on dirt pedals. I never kept one in use in over 25 years of playing. I should have bought an OCD long ago, but I always felt like the price was too far overboard. At say, $75 I would have bought one. For ~$30-40, the Caline is a better deal. Now who is going to make a good JTM45/50 for $600-$700?

Last edited: Jan 14, 2020
    studio1087 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.