Caline Golden Halo acoustic simulator

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by bigbean, Nov 13, 2019.

1. bigbean

bigbean Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

I picked one up to use so I didn't have to bring an acoustic for just one song. It works pretty well. No tone suck off of the rest of my board. Transparent when off. I like it a little better with single coils than buckers but it's OK with buckers.

Caline Golden Halo.jpg

bcorig and Switchy like this.
  2. RetroTeleRod

RetroTeleRod Poster Extraordinaire

Happy NPD.
    I wonder if it's a clone of the Boss Acoustic Simulator?

3. telel6s

telel6s Tele-Afflicted

What are you running this into? An electric guitar amp, acoustic amp, powered speaker or mixing board?

Ages ago I had the first BOSS acoustic sim. I would put the effected output to the non-reverb channel on my Super Reverb so I could set the tone and level separate from my electric guitar on the main channel. I can't say it fooled anyone into thinking there was an acoustic guitar on stage, but it was a semi-useful sound for playing rhythm in a band with another guitar player.

I also have one of the older Zoom acoustic effects pedals that can be used as a simulator for an electric guitar input. Into a regular tube amp it's worthless to me even though it has settings for defining the type of amp (combo, stack, etc.). But I have used it with a Tele once in a while as a backup for acoustic gigs like farmers markets. It does OK in that type of setting. Again, nobody is fooled into hearing a real acoustic guitar but it adds some nice ambiance - although I always have reverb/delay/chorus/etc at a greater level than with a true acoustic guitar. But, that became just one more thing I'd have to bring to a gig so it stays at home (should go on eBay/craigslist but I'm too lazy).

So, a simple, cheap pedal like this could be useful as a back up to me. Or as the weather gets cold I'd rather not bring out the acoustic guitars and could just use a solid body electric which will be more stable.

As an aside, 90% of youtube videos for this and other acoustic sims are poopoo since they run them into guitar amps, sometimes overdriven (I'm talking to you In The Blues!), without also showing these through a PA or acoustic amp.

bcorig likes this.
  4. vanr

vanr Tele-Afflicted

Wow. I bought one of these about a month ago and couldn't return it to amazon fast enough. Maybe I got a bad one. Actually 2 bad ones as the first one I received didn't work.

5. bigbean

0529C692-25CF-4977-AC64-600B00348C21.jpeg
    I am a pedal board player with this rig. The board feeds an Allen&Heath GLD with some compression and a gate. The pedal is in front of the Timmy when used, the only thing between the pedal and the Aphex DI is the verb. It sounded OK when I tried the vibrato with it but I’m not using it with that for this week.

6. Switchy

Switchy TDPRI Member

I bought one of these Golden Halos and I actually like it, for the price. The STANDARD setting seems to be the best and you have to find the sweet spot for the body and top knobs. I acknowledge that the Boss has some better tones, but I wouldn't buy the Boss unless I could get a real good deal on it.

7. bcorig

bcorig Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I have an “Old Zoom acoustics effects pedal” I bought 15-20 years ago and have never been able to figure out, for the Life Of Me, how to use it.

8. Larry F

Larry F Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

What is the design theory, or whatever it's called, of these acoustic sim pedals? What do they do to an electric guitar input? OD, I get, same with reverb, delay, phasing, and whatnot. I have a fairly good mental representation of what these pedals to do the sound. But how does an acoustic sim pedal, such as the ones discussed above, actually change the sound?

9. telel6s

telel6s Tele-Afflicted

Is it the green A2? That's what I have. For the longest time I had no clue how to really use it. Last winter I pulled it and the manual out and worked my way through it. I had to set up an excel spreadsheet to keep track of my patches and settings. Not intuitive.

Eventually I got a couple patches I could use with acoustic guitar or my Tele (with the sim). OL for open mic night but that's about it. The hardest part I found was you can't easily turn off any one part of the chain. You can set to zero, but not get rid of comp, delay, mod, guitar model, etc. Makes each patch a pain to create or modify.

[​IMG]

10. bondoman

bondoman Tele-Meister

Ya know I've always been a bit wary of these peddles for one reason or the other. I also have no issues with bringing an acoustic to a gig either. Although I did cross over to the dark side many years ago, being guitar synths. In which case can emulate just about any instrument known to man and then some with just one guitar. Is it practical? No. Is it fun? Absolutely! Basically just another piece of gear haul, plug into and navigate your way thru. Easier to just bring an acoustic. Now if you want to remind the bass or keyboard player they can be replaced the guitar synth is a great tool.

11. bigbean

Seems to me it's mostly EQ and harmonic manipulation. I've got a Roland (Boss) Cube 40xl with an acoustic simulator as a setting. To me that sounds more digital synthy than the Caline pedal, also more compressed. The general idea is you put in an electric guitar in and get out a signal that sounds like a an acoustic with pickup in it.
    Obviously, it's not for everyone but I was surprised how good it was for very low buckage.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.