California!

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by DHart, Jun 11, 2021.

1. sax4blues

sax4blues Poster Extraordinaire

There were commercial buildings built in the 40’s, replaced in the 60’s, again in the 80’s, and again in the 2000’s.
    The Shark Tank, opened 1993, is planned to be torn down just 30 years later because it’s outdated.

Obsessed likes this.
  2. DADGAD

DADGAD Friend of Leo's

Fender. Fullerton, California. 1950's.

McGlamRock and Greggorios like this.
  3. SacDAve

SacDAve Poster Extraordinaire

I've been in CA 69 years, What's not to like? I crew up in Marin there was nothing like the 60's & 70's that's for sure.

4. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Poster Extraordinaire

5. chulaivet1966

chulaivet1966 Tele-Afflicted

Top of the mornin' all....

I was born/raised in California (bay area) and enjoyed what the state had to offer.
    But, we moved to the heartland after the wife and I retired.
    I liked living in California but we could no longer afford living there on fixed incomes.

Ahhh...."Half Moon Bay".
    We played the Miramar Beach Inn all the time from 1976-1978.
    We opened for Terry And The Pirates with John Cipollina.
    It's a shame he's not with us anymore and he passed at 45 years old back in 1989.

(EDIT: just found this....we opened for them in March 1977 or Sept. 26 '77....which is noted. I'm a bit fuzzy on which date it was. :) http://www.michaelcross.me.uk/jc/tp-det2.htm#mbi )

Have a great weekend all....

Last edited: Jun 12, 2021
    DHart, RobRiggs and Obsessed like this.
  6. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

My dad lives just outside of Placerville. Do you ever leave the house? Dumbfounded growth in the Sierra foothills over the last quarter century. What really surprises me is the conversion from orchards to subdivisions from Sac to Chico where my nephew lives. How did that happen? And where do all of those people work?

7. Mike H.

Mike H. Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I lived in Orinda and worked in San Francisco for 27 years before moving back to my home state of Tennessee for family obligations. I share many of your feelings. I don't miss the cost of living, high taxes, overcrowding, and massive traffic jams, but I do miss California every day. I don't know if we will stay here or move on at some point. I don't know if we could even afford to go back to California now.
    BTW - I was also born in Memphis, Tennessee in 1955. Seems we have a lot in common.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2021
    DHart likes this.
  8. Sax-son

Sax-son Tele-Afflicted

From my experience, the California myth and legend that most people think of really lasted about 15 years from my perspective. It was driven by the youth culture that is now completely different then that of the time period. It was an era where everything sort of came together in a big way. People came seeking a different life styles, spiritual freedoms and a different consciousness than where the had come from.

As I see it, the state is the same, but it has been saturated by people from all over the world and those influences are not necessarily conducive to upholding that vibe for a variety of reasons. Massive homelessness due to low paying jobs and high rent, combined with untreated mental illness and drug abuse. We are now facing water shortages and wildfire danger due to climate change. There are just too many problems for any local government to deal with in a meaningful way. California at one time did offer those individual freedoms for those who were seeking it, but at least for now, those days are long gone.

If I were a young person seeking that life style, I would be looking in another state or possible another country that values that life style atmosphere of days gone by. I am sure it still exists somewhere, but not in California as a whole. It's the vibe that they are wanting and that could be live and well in just about anywhere.

I have my theories of what went wrong in California, but I will keep those to myself because they are just theories and I don't want to get into banter with others about it.

scook, DHart, telestratosonic and 2 others like this.
  9. frank a

frank a Tele-Meister

I wish I grew up in California. It would have been great.

P Thought and getbent like this.
  10. SacDAve

SacDAve Poster Extraordinaire

I moved to Rocklin in 87, I can't believe the growth especially now you would think it would slow when a stud cost $9. The whole Bay Area is moving up to sacramento area and foot hills including Tahoe.

DHart and Obsessed like this.
  11. Obsessed

Great perspective there.

12. Sax-son

Sax-son Tele-Afflicted

Loved that guy! What a loss! Still very much on my play list though.

DHart and chulaivet1966 like this.
  13. DekeDog

DekeDog Tele-Afflicted

14. beanluc

beanluc Tele-Afflicted

California's been good to me for >25 years, though I keep imagining that I'll retire back where I came from, Maine.

15. chulaivet1966

chulaivet1966 Tele-Afflicted

Ha...every time I think of his name I'm reminded of their first album Quicksilver Messenger Service ('68) and Pride Of Man.
    I had one year to go in the military back in '68 when it came out.

Dammit....I'm becoming an old fossil. :)

OP....no hijack intended.

DHart, kingofdogs1950 and SacDAve like this.
  16. Sax-son

Sax-son Tele-Afflicted

My neighbors who have lived here for 25 plus years just moved to Maryland. They purchased a home over the internet and never visited the town. I understand the idea of a new adventure, but I could not fathom or understand the idea of doing that. Talk about "blind faith", that is risky in my opinion. They got a bundle for their house so I feel that was their prime motive, but if that was the case, totally foolish.

DHart and Obsessed like this.
  17. Sax-son

Sax-son Tele-Afflicted

Yeah! It is still a great one in my opinion. Nobody every sounded like him. Not even close! He definitely had his own unique style of playing.

chulaivet1966 and SacDAve like this.
  18. Refugee

Refugee Tele-Meister

Love California! Glad I moved here back in 1995. Watched that California Dreamin' vid in the OP, it made me remember something. Didn't someone who was in that band get all whacked on heroin and flip out on the Golden Gate Bridge? Googled it but didn't come up.

19. Obsessed

A daily occurrence in the late 60s. I don’t think anyone would have noticed. It was probably LSD anyway.

DHart, Frodebro and Refugee like this.
  20. BobbyMac

BobbyMac Tele-Meister Gold Supporter

I was born in Fullerton, California, in 1952, and lived the first twenty years of my life in that city. It was an incredible place to grow up. I always felt California was the place to be, and was so proud of my roots there.

I lived and worked in some incredible places in California, including San Clemente, Lake Arrowhead, Huntington Harbour, and rural Lake County where I put in 22 of the 27 years in my career in law enforcement.

In the 1990's I started to wonder what was happening in State government. I won't get into all that as it is political in nature. And as I approached retirement, I knew I was not long for the state, in spite of its spectacular geography. Two weeks after I retired, I moved to Texas and never looked back. I don't begrudge or criticize those who can't or won't leave the state. I get that. But for me, I had had enough.

There isn't enough left of the state I once knew and loved to ever get me back there.

Sax-son, DHart, Obsessed and 2 others like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.