California!

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by DHart, Jun 11, 2021.

1. DHart

DHart Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

I just watched a YouTube video of the Mamas and the Papas' singing "California Dreaming" and that video is what brought me to writing this post. I owe so much of my life to my experiences growing up and living in California.

I would like to make it exquisitely clear, now, that I absolutely love the geography of California, and all of my history in that once great state. That magical place lives deeply within my heart! And, to this very day, I very often dream of my time in California!

I was raised in San Francisco until I was seven. Then I came of age living in Orinda, but attending eighth and ninth grade at a tiny, fledgling prep school on the shore of Lake Tahoe (Homewood). Then, I finished high school in Pebble Beach - at Stevenson School - a well respected college prep school. Times at Lake Tahoe, Squaw, Alpine, Tahoe City, and in Carmel, Monterey, Big Sur... unforgettable experiences - especially as one who was "coming of age".

I was incredibly fortunate to have received a magnificent secondary school education in California. And to have lived in so many wonderful places in that exquisitely beautiful state. (Some might agree that I was beyond incredibly fortunate, for a child who was given up for adoption, at birth, in Memphis, TN in 1950!)

I spent my twenties (during the seventies) teaching guitar in the afternoons at Primo Music store in Walnut Creek, CA, while attending university in the mornings. I earned several undergrad and graduate degrees from Cal State University. I was then employed for a decade by one of the largest international corporations in San Francisco and later San Ramon (we called it San Remote, at the time). That decade spent in corporate years was wonderfully rewarding to me - and quite formative. Following that, I spent the remainder of my life as a self-employed commercial photographer. I have been quite blessed in life. And my California upbringing and experience could well be considered "California Dreaming".

Let me just say that I will forever be deeply in love with my long California experience. I moved from there to Lake Oswego, Oregon in 1994. Then to Vancouver/Camas Washington in 2000. So yes, Oregon and Washington State also hold dear spots in my heart from those experiences.

I have retired to Scottsdale, AZ and absolutely love my life here.

Let me end this by stating that I adore so much about California. And Oregon, & Washington State.

Times and circumstances have changed those states over the years, but I hold those places incredibly dear nonetheless.

Thank you, sincerely, for listening.

Let's end with some of the most exquisite four-part harmonies ever recorded... crafted in California.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2021
    staxman, Lotek, Jim McBride and 17 others like this.
  2. DHart

And... how about a little more California melody and harmony?

3. DHart

One more California inspiration.... God Only Knows...

The genius of Brian Wilson... a great California boy.

electrichead and Crafty Fox like this.
  4. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

DHart likes this.
  5. sax4blues

sax4blues Poster Extraordinaire

Are there any other states, good or bad?

String Tree likes this.
  6. DHart

Speak as you wish! The microphone is always yours.

7. Obsessed

My life history follows yours closely enough that we must have crossed paths many times. I too feel very fortunate to have grown up in the Bay Area and after college spend my career in Silicon Valley. The state became too over crowded for me, but many fond memories. My dad, sisters and best friend still live in Nor Cal, so I do visit briefly every few years.

What I miss most doesn’t really exist there any longer. Well, except the sour dough French bread and great sushi bars.;) Even Half Moon Bay went bonkers. Who woulda thunk?

Anyway, I always enjoy your discussions about the state along with other TDPRI members that live or have lived there. Even @Toto'sDad’s posts.:D

Maguchi, Toto'sDad and DHart like this.
  8. Obsessed

I watched salmon spawn in Gaza’s Creek when I was in Boy Scouts during the early 60s. No one will ever see that again.

SRHmusic, Toto'sDad and DHart like this.
  9. Obsessed

stinkey and DHart like this.
  10. DHart

Obsessed... thank you. If we could only know... we would surely find many more crossings that you and I, and others, share from California.

I agree that what I miss most about the state no longer exists. But... we have our upbringing, our family history, our remembered experiences, memories, and TODAY... our frequent dreams of those experiences in California.

No one can take any of that from us!

Last edited: Jun 12, 2021
    Maguchi, Whatizitman and Obsessed like this.
  11. Chip

Chip Friend of Leo's

California!

DHart and Obsessed like this.
  12. DHart

Being in San Francisco, in the sixties, seventies, eighties... was something some of us will always cherish. Different time, different place... but not at all forgotten.... yet.

Bill, SacDAve, RobRiggs and 1 other person like this.
  13. RobRiggs

RobRiggs Tele-Holic

I can’t bring myself to leave. 53 years in the Bay Area, mostly in Walnut Creek and Concord. I guess I love a state that really no longer exists. There’s still a lot to like about California but it’s definitely not what it used to be. :(

Skully, Maguchi, SacDAve and 3 others like this.
  14. sax4blues

sax4blues Poster Extraordinaire

California was home 1963-2018. My wife’s family was immigrant walnut farmers from 1910, making my kids 5th generation California.

RobRiggs and Obsessed like this.
  15. Obsessed

Our family moved into a 1940s subdivision in 1962 that was a walnut/apricot orchard back in the 1930s and earlier, so the changes have been occurring for a very long time. At age 8, I had no idea that things changed like that. I suppose when I saw HWY 280 being built is when I knew things were changing. What has changed in the
    South Bay since I left in 1996 is utterly astounding in so many ways.

DHart and RobRiggs like this.
  16. Mur

Mur Tele-Afflicted

17. Hpilotman

Hpilotman Tele-Holic

18. DHart

My first two years of college were spent in Stockton... at the University of the Pacific. Those years were some very significant years for me and for this country... 1968-1970. The cultural changes, the music, the draft, the drugs, the war... WOW. Huge impact on those of us who were coming of age at the time.

I remember some nice times when we college kids would go up to Lodi, with the girls, and go rafting. And the incredible concerts. Some amazing times. I will admit those two years, for me, were spent largely in a bit of a haze. I was fortunate to have emerged, relatively unscathed, from that time. A few of my college buddies were not so fortunate. And a huge number did not survive Viet Nam. God bless their sweet, long gone, souls.

RobRiggs likes this.
  19. teleman1

teleman1 Friend of Leo's

I got word yesterday that my first cousin, 72 yrs old, passed last week. He was a UOP grad on a music scholarship. He was the first principal violinist of the Stockton Symphony Orchestra at 17 years old. Had an R & B band very popular in YOUR area. They were called the Tangiers. I was at a great show at the Stockton Civic auditorium. His band was there with r & B & the rest was Frisco. THe Loading Zone were the head liners. I still have the poster.

DHart and RobRiggs like this.
  20. Crafty Fox

Crafty Fox Tele-Afflicted

Yes, Western Australia.........good! :p

RobRiggs likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.