1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

California?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by TeleBluesMan, Mar 2, 2021.

1. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

With climate change I wonder if British Columbia will be Santa Barbara north one day....my wife grew up in Sidney, BC and her parents still have their house there so who knows...

brookdalebill likes this.
  2. NateD81

NateD81 Tele-Meister

I live in S. California in Ventura just south of Santa Barbara. Love it here. I've moved around looking for cheaper places to live, change of pace, etc. Always end up back here. I do wish we got more rain but the weather is incredible. People make a big deal about earthquakes but ones of significance rarely happen. Certainly not a seasonal problem. Housing is expensive, especially the places you listed. If you head up north of L.A. County you'll find "cheaper" housing, but it's not what people outside of this area would call cheap. I have no found food prices higher than other places as someone else mentioned but maybe I'm missing something. People love to be negative about California for some reason but you'll find many people love it. It has a lot going for it to be sure.

JeffBlue, bcorig, RomanS and 3 others like this.
  3. telleutelleme

telleutelleme Telefied Silver Supporter

All my family live in California, some raised in the South, most in the SF Bay area. All have moved away from the densely populated areas. Costs of living were way too high to remain in those areas. Beachfront will be very expensive and public areas very crowded. If I could afford it I would likely move back but to the foothill area East of Sacramento near where my brother lives. Coast is within driving distance for a weekend.

4. bendercaster

bendercaster Tele-Afflicted

There are many other places in the US that allow a much higher standard of living, but once you get acclimated to the weather out here, it is hard to even consider living anywhere else. I'm not a big fan of Southern California (any further south than San Luis Obispo at least), but where I am in Northern California is a short drive to the mountains, the ocean, and numerous lakes and rivers. The humidity is very pleasant, and other than a couple of weeks every summer, its pretty temperate. I've spent time in the midwest, the south, and the east coast, and as lovely as some of those places are, the ticks, the humidity, and the snow are major deterrents for me. But yeah, it is getting harder and harder financially to justify living here.

5. TeleBluesMan

TeleBluesMan Tele-Holic

Appreciate all the comments so far. Where I live now taxes are high and housing is expensive, probably comparable to California. And I'm tired of the snow and cold weather.

JeffBlue, telemnemonics and NateD81 like this.
  6. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

7. Middleman

Middleman Friend of Leo's

I've lived here since 1987. It's great, it's painfully expensive. The weather is the best in the US, the things to do seemingly endless. None of my kids could get their careers started here and also pay for housing. They all moved out of state and the chances of them moving back are slim. So it's the perfect place to retire.

JeffBlue, Telecasterless and Alcohen like this.
  8. Dog Bite

Dog Bite Tele-Meister

When I was younger I dreamed of going to California to surf and lay on the beach with Annette.

Bill B likes this.
  9. ucnick

ucnick Tele-Meister Gold Supporter

Grew up in Philly and moved here to NorCal in SF Bay Area (actually Silly Valley) in 1989, cannot wait to gtfo when I retire. Never cared for SoCal. Nice place to visit but I have no desire to live here anymore. I'll take the weather elsewhere.

El Duderino likes this.
  10. Matt Sarad

Matt Sarad Tele-Afflicted

Born in ventura.
    Raised on a farm north of Bakersfield.
    Lived in Orange county and Berkeley.
    Bought a home in Bakersfield.

Friends all over the country.

I love California.

I tolerate Bakersfield.

JeffBlue, drlucky, Bill B and 3 others like this.
  11. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Friend of Leo's

You'd think that would help with housing. Nooooooooope.

ex-Californian here. It's taken me many years. But I've finally got it all out of my system. There are plenty of fun, interesting, and beautiful places to live and play outside the Golden State. And did I mention affordable?

DADGAD likes this.
  12. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

I've lived here all my life. I'd stay away from the Los Angeles basin because the smog and traffic is tremendously horrific. People who live there are used to it and don't even realize it's cutting years off their lives. Go south or north a bit and you're fine. The San Diego area is beautiful if you're wanting sun and palm trees, go inland from LA and the Palm Springs area is nice if can take heat and you're not into rain. Going north the weather changes around San Louis Obispo, so if you want sunny beaches other than in the summer you don't want to go any further north than that.

Also, like the previous poster said - it's ridiculously expensive. Expect to pay a buck or two extra for everything you need day-to-day - groceries, gas, clothes. A box of cereal runs around $6 here lately.

13. Whatizitman

The attitude certainly doesn't end at the shore. There's a reason for the surfer stereotypes. I don't miss that. Even a little bit.

bender66 likes this.
  14. driver8

driver8 Tele-Holic

"Not what it used to be" is a phrase that comes to mind when considering CA. Unless you're uber wealthy and a fan of high taxes, there are a lot better places to retire, imho. In general, of course.

15. Whatizitman

As time goes by, the solution my wife and I keep coming back to is just to find a livable city with good medical services and airports. No need to live in paradise. Visit when you like, stay as long as you need. Then travel somewhere else the following year.

When the cost of living in paradise is so high you can neither afford to enjoy the locale nor travel anywhere else, it ain't much of a paradise.

16. slauson slim

slauson slim Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

ElJay370 is spot on.

In response to OP’s question, “California?”, the answer is yes. While those beach cities are more expensive, crowded and affluent than 25 years ago, they are still good places. A week day at the beach is a great pleasure.

Long Beach and San Pedro are also worth looking into.

I have fond memories of Hermosa - in the ‘50s a family friend had a house 200 feet from the beach, and in HS in the early ‘60s hung out at 22nd Street. I dated a gal that lived up the hill from Vasek Polak Porsche on PCH. The seafood restaurants on the Redondo pier were good for date nights.

California has its problems like everywhere else in the US, and many take great joy in pointing them out. I am Californian and love this place. Born in Hollywood, raised in South Central, and have lived in the High Desert, SF Bay Area and now near Sacramento. My wife was raised in Compton, Lakewood and Livermore. California has been good to my family, providing work, education and opportunity.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2021
  17. TheDavis

TheDavis Tele-Meister

The areas you are targeting are some of the most expensive in the world, I’d advise getting on Zillow and looking around. That being said if you are rich and want a crowded costal area thats got great weather year round and loads of pretentious vanity driven people you’ve got the right place.
    As many pointed out there are much more affordable, less crowded costal areas in California that us non wealthy would consider better options. Personally I love Los Osos. Hidden jem, reasonably priced and a quick drive to some of the most beautiful nature imaginable

drlucky and Matt Sarad like this.
  18. Jaysmay

Jaysmay TDPRI Member

Santa Barbra and north are great.

19. Cali Dude

Cali Dude Tele-Afflicted

Lived here in California my whole life. I like northern California better. If you want the socal beaches, and you can afford it, go for it. It is beautiful on the coast of California. Personally, I would take Mendocino over the socal scene.

SRHmusic, SacDAve and sax4blues like this.
  20. Tenderfoot

Tenderfoot Tele-Holic

I spent the summer of 1966 at NRTC San Diego and 22 years later lived in San Diego for one year. Back then a one bedroom apartment in the Mira Mesa Eldorado Hills area was $935 a month plus utilities and only had a covered parking space. The weather was great and my apartment didn't need AC (when I leased the apartment I asked the property manager why no AC and I was reluctant to do the lease until he told me that if there was ever a day in any month where the window fans didn't keep the apartment cool, that month's rent would be free!).

I'm happy living in Texas the last 26 years where, being retired, I find Texas to be the best compromise between cost of living and access to scenic and social desires.

A lot of good input for you to think about but IMHO you will not really get the answer you are looking for until you experience California first hand - then you will have your answer.

Good Luck!

JeffBlue and Telecasterless like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.