1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

California?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by TeleBluesMan, Mar 2, 2021.

1. TeleBluesMan

TeleBluesMan Tele-Holic

I'm retired and single. Live on East Coast. Always thought of one day moving to California. Might be in a position to do it in a year or two. Last time in California was about 25 years ago. I liked the time I spent in Hermosa Beach. Thinking of maybe selling my house and renting an apartment or condo in Hermosa Beach, Manhattan Beach, or Redondo Beach to see if I like it. Any suggestions, advice or comments?

fretWalkr, JeffBlue, dented and 2 others like this.
  2. swervinbob

swervinbob Tele-Afflicted

You couldn’t pay me to move there. Lots I would like to tour there, but I would never live there.

Bryan A, 1955, MickM and 17 others like this.
  3. beanluc

beanluc Tele-Holic

It's pretty expensive. But if you're willing to give it a try, you can always bail out if you decide you don't like it. You sound like you think you will, so, I wouldn't discourage you.

boris bubbanov likes this.
  4. buster poser

buster poser Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

If you've got the scratch and like it out there, go for it.

Car scene aside (and it is a very big aside) I never cared much for SoCal personally, but I am not a beach/water person.

howardlo, getbent and brookdalebill like this.
  5. DADGAD

DADGAD Friend of Leo's

All my friends are leaving California. When my wife retires, we're leaving too. (We are California natives.) Gas has gone up 50 cents a gallon since the first of the year. Housing is expensive and hard to find. There have been no live band gigs allowed in over a year.

600,000 people a year are leaving. I think they know something.

6. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Poster Extraordinaire

fretWalkr likes this.
  7. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire

Having lived in So Cal and Nor Cal I chose Oakland for 22yrs. I still think of it as home. I did a 2nd So Cal stint in Santa Barbara for 6yrs until my recent migration up to OR. You couldnt pay me to live below San Luis Obispo at this point.

The constant arrogance, confrontation, & bravado of LA is toxic. The endless concrete in every direction doesnt feel normal. At least you're looking at the beach, so you got that going for you.

8. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

Sounds like a plan.
    I would live somewhere other than Florida if not my daughter and grandkids.
    Honestly it’s hard to find any place that I may like. As I get older it doesn’t really matter as I get more reclusive. I’ve always thought Santa Fe sounded nice.

You could be a modern day Jed Clampett ...”they said Calforney is the place you ought to be..”

JeffBlue and getbent like this.
  9. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

The cost of housing is the big problem these days. Also climate change-- fires, debris flows, sea level rise, and other accelerating issues.

But check out counties like San Luis Obispo county for areas that are not overpopulated but still give you all the best that California has to offer. Perfect weather, beautiful mountains and ocean, etc.

If I were in your situation I would also be looking at places in Oregon and Washington although it's a bit colder.....

I have a friend who retired from the Boston area. He sold his 4 bedroom house, then bought a smaller 3 BR house in Ventura, and they absolutely are thrilled with their decision in every way. The trade-offs for a retiree are different than for someone in their working years, for sure. Depends a lot on your personal situation and personal priorities. If you are coming from a relatively high-housing cost area and you have a lot of equity in your home then it's not as hard to make the move. If you are trying to come from a low real-estate cost area it's a bigger hump to get over.

10. bumnote

bumnote Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Too many fires, mudslides, earthquakes, expenses...& I don't want to make this political, but way too schizophrenic politically for me. I've known several people from there that are both liberal & conservative...the one thing they'll agree on is the state & local governments are ridiculous.

I'm not about to retire, but I can the the sign posts up ahead. Personally I'm casually thinking either Arizona, New Mexico or maybe back to the Texas Hill Country. I'd NEVER retire to Florida...ever. Having grown up in Houston, the last thing I want to deal with is hurricane season...I'd take my chances w/ earthquakes before I deal with that annual crap again.

The big thing for me will be expense, so for me it rules out California & several areas of New England I'd love to live in.

Call Me Al likes this.
  11. Leonardocoate

Leonardocoate Tele-Meister

I have a cousin who grew up and lives in Santa Barbara. She came to visit in Ohio and had never seen a thermostat. That would be a good place to start. She told me earthquake stories and I told her Tornado and flood stories. We might both be ready to relocate now.

12. Just-Jim

Just-Jim Tele-Afflicted

I grew up in SoCal and personally loved it, but it's not for everyone. I had to move away for a number of reasons, but finances was a major factor. If I could ever afford to go back, I would go way south to SD. I need to win the lottery first.

13. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

My Dad, and most of his family were Californians.
    California takes a lot of guff these days.
    They do get way more than their fair share of natural disasters.
    That said, I LOVE the entire state.
    It's big, majestic, and diverse.
    I spent many happy summers in Lompoc, Bakersfield, Oildale, San Luis Obispo, Santa Barbara, and Santa Clara.
    I never had a hassle, or bad time.
    Now, full disclosure, it's been almost 34 years since I've spent any time there.
    I'm sure it's still a magical and magnetic place/state.
    If I were financially independent, I'd get a place in the Bay Area.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2021
  14. irie

irie Tele-Holic

Honestly If you want to retire there and your finances allow it, I say go for it. Perhaps a trip out there to scope out the scene these days is a better option before a full commitment?

I lived in Southern California for almost 30 years mostly around the area's you mentioned. As others have noted it is not a cheap place to live. But you get basically year round beautiful weather while being within driving distance to Beaches, Mountains and Deserts. Plenty of entertainment options beyond the outdoors as well.

At the end of the day it's your life, live it how you want.

15. bcorig

bcorig Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

So you’re considering Southern California/LA.
    Very, very expensive. Rental on the Beach for something nice, or even livable is $$$$$.
    You pay state taxes. Property taxes are about to go sky-high. Lots of regulations-you have to pull a permit to replace your water heater. Food costs more than in, for example NV.
    There’s ever a threat of a large destructive earthquake or, in certain suburbs, wildfires so insurance costs may be higher. But that’s in exchange for the fact the weather is great (in SoCal). I’m never moving back to NY or MI or any cold state. Water is an issue to certain things left undone by the powers that be. Electrical Power is also an issue with cost, efficiency and priorities. I’ll probably be suspended from TDPRI if I go into further detail.
    I’ve been here 47 years. 25 years ago it was better but at my age I’m dug in and don’t plan to leave unless forced. Again, not wishing to be suspended I can’t tell you what “forced” would entail.
    Other than that, I love it here.
    James McMurtry says it best.
    “I’m not from here, but people tell me, it’s not like it used to be.
    They say you should have been here, back around 47 years.
    Before it got ruined by folks like me”.

JeffBlue and dented like this.
  16. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity

It's a bit expensive some places. But man, CA is a nice place for sure. I cant think of a state that compares really. I should probably go back... :>) Yosemite, The redwoods, the entire coastline, the weather (no extremes, no hurricanes, little snow) The only downside is it's too popular! But if you dont need to be near the big cities it's affordable.

17. Anita Bonghit

Anita Bonghit Tele-Meister

Born and raised in California, 55 years. Moved to Colorado 15 years ago, best thing I've ever done.

18. old wrench

old wrench Friend of Leo's

I lived there for a year or so back around 1990.

I loved the weather and the amazing reality of being able to stand on the beach with two feet in the ocean and look to the East, and see palm trees in the foreground and snow-topped mountains in the background.

I did meet some great people there.

A nice place to visit :).

JeffBlue likes this.
  19. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

My son and grandkids live there. Visit out of season and live somewhere else. When rich folks are crowded together, it’s no place for the merely well off.

howardlo, Call Me Al and VWAmTele like this.
  20. ElJay370

ElJay370 Tele-Afflicted

I've lived in CA for 32 years. Before that I lived on the East Coast.

The South Bay you remember from 25 years ago isn't really here anymore. The funky little beach town full of hippies, punks, and old surfers that Hermosa Beach used to be? Gone. It's a miniature Santa Monica now. All the crusty dive bars and taco joints have mostly been replaced by tourist traps that serve 20 dollar nachos.

As others have already pointed out, it's EXPENSIVE. A one bedroom anywhere near the water will set you back at least $2500 a month.

On the upside:

- One of the most culturally diverse places on the planet
    - Sunny and 73 degrees pretty much year round
    - The entertainment capital of the world
    - Good food
    - Surfing, skiing, hiking, camping, etc.

Still...any place is what you make of it. If you're the type that likes to piss and moan about property taxes, the price of eggs, or various other topics we're not supposed to discuss on this forum, then California might not be for you.

I personally would never want to live anywhere else.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2021
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.