1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

California, you can't beat it for Okies, Oilwells, and good weather!

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Toto'sDad, Dec 9, 2016.

1. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Today was just a gorgeous day in the central San Joaquin Valley. It came a little skip of rain last night, washing the streets, sidewalks, trees and shrubs clean and bright. The sun broke through about ten a.m. We hit it on out to the golf course east of town and it was just a terrific day for golf. December 9th, and I'm still wearing CARGOS, and a Tee! Right off the bat I sprained my left ankle, and my wife thought we should go home, I said nothing doing it's too nice a day to sit in the house when we're already here. I loaded up on some aspirin I keep in my bag and on we went. I didn't play well because I couldn't get to my left side very well with the ankle loused up, but hey we got to play! We finished about 3:30 or a little after and a former client called me for our Friday afternoon chat. Tomorrow we go to the nearby mountains to see a wonderful Christmas show. I love California AND the holidays!

2. wayloncash

wayloncash Tele-Afflicted

Texas is better.And bigger. And tougher. Just as sunny, better economy and housing market, more jobs, the shape of the state is more pleasing not like rotten squash shaped California.

Just kidding...

Except about the Texas is better stuff, that stuff just flat out truth.

3. jackinjax

jackinjax Friend of Leo's

Delete.

4. wayloncash

wayloncash Tele-Afflicted

Really Texas literally beats California in all that stuff. We are closer to Oklahoma, the oil capital of USA, and we don't have winter except for two-four weeks. Texas forever!

Lake Placid Blue and Toto'sDad like this.
  5. TimothyC

TimothyC Tele-Afflicted

I live in the high Desert. Today was pretty nice and I still spend most days in shorts. I love the state for its beauty and variation of mountains, valleys, beaches, forests and deserts. But I don't like anything else about the state.

Toto'sDad likes this.
  6. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

We went all over the state for 2 weeks this past summer.

My son's first time/wife and I have been 3-4 times previous.

Hell, I even like Merced ! We had a great evening there.

Someone once said, "the west is the best - get there, they'll do the rest."

They ain't kidding folks, they ain't kidding...

Edit : I like everything about the state. Everything.

Oh - except for the $200,000 houses that they have for sale for $900,000.

Those I don't like. Because that's what stands in the way of our moving there...:confused:

Toto'sDad and jackinjax like this.
  7. telleutelleme

telleutelleme Telefied Silver Supporter

I was born and raised in California and I've lived in Texas for the majority of my adult life. I forgot what I was going to say. probably all the oil.

Toto'sDad likes this.
  8. jackinjax

jackinjax Friend of Leo's

I quit "Dreaming of a White Christmas" after moving to Jacksonville back in '83, not that I saw that many in Alabama.
    Having a bit of a cold snap here today and tomorrow. It'll be back in the 70s next week.

Toto'sDad likes this.
  9. Tele-Caster

Tele-Caster Tele-Holic

Pretty sure I have more real Okies here in Oklahoma than you do in the Central San Joaquin Valley. There are no shortage of oil wells here. Heck, we have one in our capitol building. I was still wearing cargos as of Sunday.

As a native-born Californian, I'm glad you like it there. You can keep my share of it. I'm happier here in the Cherokee Nation, in the foothills of the Ozarks.

10. boredguy6060

boredguy6060 Poster Extraordinaire

I've lived in California pretty much all my life and loved it.
    I've been to Texas the have good..huh..huh....Armadillo's.

Toto'sDad and dented like this.
  11. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

Earthquakes too !

Toto'sDad and Tele-Caster like this.
  12. Tele-Caster

Tele-Caster Tele-Holic

Yep. Just like "back home" in California !!!

Toto'sDad and Lake Placid Blue like this.
  13. Toto'sDad

We had jillions of Okies out here during the depression, after that kind of cleared up, we hit on a plan to send 'em on back to Oklahoma we planted a BIG row of cotton from California to Oklahoma, and hired 'em to pick the cotton. It worked like a charm except for one thing, we forgot about second picking and they all came picking their way back, and wanted to get paid for the cotton. Sooooo, I ain't so sure about whether you got more of 'em or not. We got about 35,000,000 of just about anything you want.

Lake Placid Blue likes this.
  14. dented

dented Doctor of Teleocity

Yeah well. Today was a bit cool in the 60's and a little overcast. A nice respite from the heat. But on the way home the fog bank was coming in off the ocean....a huge front you could see for miles. It casts a wintery gray sky over all of it. Got home and cooked up the campfire hot dogs and beans with fresh bread. This is our winter. Temps dropping into the 40's tonight. It has beauty sunsets and gorgeous mountain views during the day. Down at the beach the waves get bigger as the desert winds start blowing out to sea. Next Saturday I am hosting my Christmas party. We have a 70' yacht in the Newport Beach Christmas parade. 40 family members and friends enjoying a cool frosty parade through Newport Harbor with all of the lights and Christmas Carols.
    California is cool........wink

Oh and some of the folks will get oiled up.

Toto'sDad and boredguy6060 like this.
  15. boredguy6060

boredguy6060 Poster Extraordinaire

Palm Springs is the most beautiful place on the planet.
    It is for the retired for the most part, and July-Oct is plenty hot.
    Beautiful mountain views, crystal clear skies, other than the months above, great temps.
    High tomorrow 75-80 low in the 50's and plenty of sunshine.
    There truly is no place on earth I'd rather be.
    Golfers call this place heaven, our home is on a fairway and there is a boardwalk around the course that is great for evening strolls.
    I sit outside in my favorites spot now a days soaking up sun and offering free advice.

16. Stringbanger

Stringbanger Telefied Ad Free Member

Toto'sDad and P Thought like this.
  17. Toto'sDad

I spent 3 days one time outside of Amarillo waiting on the black ice to clear and the highway to open so that the wreckers and highway patrol could clear enough westbound traffic out of the way to open the highway again. We coulda used just a smidgen of that sunshine to loosen things up a bit. I do like Texas, but it's BIG ese. I left out from the Brazos bridge area one time and waltzed across Texas for a very long time before I got to New Mexico. I've been to some really pretty parts of Texas though when I was a kid. Corpus Cristie was gorgeous but it's been a very long time since I was there.

18. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Poster Extraordinaire

I'm about ready to bail out of California. The cost of living here just isn't worth it.

TimothyC, dented and Toto'sDad like this.
  19. Toto'sDad

Here, I'll help you out with those expenses. Enjoy!

[​IMG]

boredguy6060 likes this.
  20. tap4154

tap4154 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Many years ago I took a couple friends and lots of beer in the small ski boat I had and followed along taking up the rear of the NB Christmas parade. Put a few battery-powered lights on the boat and as we passed by the Reuben E. Lee as the last boat waving and wishing a Merry Christmas to revelers above, got great applause and cheers! :D

Funny interactions were a very large sailboat with a huge drunken party onboard... DJ on a PA pointed at us and made a comment about Santa getting us a bigger boat next year, and some kids on the bow of a yacht passing by telling us our boat was too tiny to be in the harbor.

Being a CA native, growing up in HB and with some spoiled rich pals in NB, many whom are dead now, it all rolled off our backs and was hilarious.

CA... love it and hate it. Everything is here. Just pick what you enjoy, and focus on that

Last edited: Dec 10, 2016
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.