1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

California : two weeks/one state this summer. Suggestions ?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Mike Eskimo, Apr 3, 2016.

1. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

Object : continue to show our 14 yr old son the west (did AZ, UT, CO already)

How (proposed) : fly in to the northern-most point we can, rent a car, drive the coast down to my niece in San Diego, drive back up another way (99/5/395/other ?), fly out same airport.

Duration : +/- two weeks

Background : My uncle lived in downtown SF and may dad lived in Hayward (both since passed) so we're familiar with the Bay area through numerous visits. My wife is semi-familiar w/ LA having been in Pasadena for awhile.

Suggestions : Open to all

Thanks

2. MickM

MickM Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

Only been there for work in the mid '80s so can't help much. I'd only say that the closer you get to LA add additional layers to your tin foil hats.

Really only did the tourist stuff in SF. Sacramento too much work. And LA, skipped altogether and drove straight to TJ. I'm sure a bunch of guys will have good ideas for you!

3. 6942

6942 Poster Extraordinaire

You could always fly into Seattle,WA, rent a car one way, then drive down the entire Pacific Coast all the way to San Diego, then fly out.
    I am NOT sure though about flying costs??

Steve

4. slauson slim

slauson slim Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

Pick and choose: Fly into Arcata from SF, work your way down the coast and Lost Coast, Mendocino, Ft. Bragg, Jenner, Pt. Reyes, Bolinas, Marin, The City - much changed by tech $$ especially in The Mission, down Hwy. 1 - Monterey, Carmel, Big Sur, Henry Miller Library, Hearst Castle, Santa Barbara, Malibu, Santa Monica, through LA to Newport Beach, La Jolla, Del Mar, San Diego. Then up to Hwy. 395 Boron, Mojave, Bishop, Owens Valley, Mammoth, Mono Lake, Tioga Pass eastern way into Yosemite, Bridgeport, In Nevada Minden/Garnerville - JT for Basque food and Picon Punch, Genoa - oldest bar in NV, Carson City and Virginia City, Reno over to Tahoe, 80 West to Sacramento Railroad Museum, to SF.

tery likes this.
  5. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Poster Extraordinaire

I'd actually fly into Ontario, and head out east to start. Check out Joshua Tree, Death Valley, work your way up the Sierras. Yosemite, Tahoe. Head to Napa, then up to Shasta, across to Eureka, and down the PCH to SF, Santa Cruz, etc. than come inland at Lompoc for Santa Ynez Valley and winetasting if you're into that at all, Santa Barbara, Santa Monica, LA/Hollywood, down some more to Laguna Beach and south OC, and on to San Diego.

tery likes this.
  6. deytookerjaabs

deytookerjaabs Friend of Leo's

All great suggestions so far..Highway 1 is epic. Used to live in the East Bay for a bit when I was a child and later stayed there with Uncles for a year, just beautiful living. Ironically, we scored $35 round trip tickets to San Francisco a few months back then after looking up hotel & car rental costs for one week...never boarded that plane!

You really can't go wrong out there, even without hitting a single tourist destination the scenery is something else. That said, a good hike in the Redwoods should be on the list.

Ira7 likes this.
  7. SacDAve

SacDAve Poster Extraordinaire

I would keep your plan starting far north. But I would spend more time driving south and fly back from San Diego I-5 and 99 not much to see. Or drive back to mid CA spend some time at Tahoe incredible area about a 2 hour drive from Tahoe to fly out of Sacramento. Myself I want to take the drive from SF down hwy.1 south I know there's a lot to see I've never done it. I have driven hwy.1 north a couple times years ago scenic overkill

8. telecastertodd

telecastertodd Tele-Meister

If you drive down the 1 and back up the 5/99 (to Yosemite), you'll get a a good feeling for the diversity of the land. You might be able to plan a night of music and dinner at Buck Owen's Crystal Palace in beautiful Bakersfield!

http://www.buckowens.com/

9. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

California has so many majesties and marvels. Of all of them I imagine Yosemite and the Sequoias were the most awe inspiring. Those trees are just godly.

It was also enjoyable to show my kids where so much food is grown.

10. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

Pretty much grew up in S.F. Bay Area, college in S.D. and then career in Silicon Valley. There is so much to do and see, but it kinda depends on your interest, but I'll take a stab at the must see highlights:

Fly into Redding
    Drive to Eureka
    Spend a day or two in Humboldt Redwoods State Park and don't miss the "Avenue of the giants".
    Drive 1 south and spend a night in Mendocino. Maybe see Fort Ross.
    Head inland towards northern wine country.
    Stay in St. Helena. Sterling Winery for the tram. Inglenook for the cavern storage and best wine. Balloon riding for the fearless and/or 14 year olds.
    Petaluma for a Mesa amp?;)
    GG Bridge and SF, but you know enough about that.
    Continue South on 1.
    Lunch in Half Moon Bay.
    Santa Cruz boardwalk. Wave to my sister.:p
    Fantastic restaurant in Capitola with small tram. Name eludes me.
    Monterey Bay Aquarium. One whole day, must see.
    Carmel for the wife to fill up the credit cards.:eek:
    Head in to 101.
    Andersons Split Pea soup for lunch.
    Drive straight through L.A. ;) If you gotta stop then Venice (Surf Music Museum that I have never been to). Seal Beach is my favorite stop for lunch.
    Disneyland?
    Corona for a Fender tour?;)
    Further south to La Jolla for lunch at a swanky place on the cliffs.
    San Diego. Balboa Park. Can walk over to TJ at border and hail a cab instead of foolishly driving in.
    Return:
    Drive out to Twenty Nine Palms
    A day or two in Death Valley. Spendy but great restaurant and hotel (bring dinner jacket).
    North on 395. Over pass to east side of Yosemite.
    North on Hwy 49 through a bunch of cute tourist trappy gold mine towns.:D Wave to my Dad.:p
    About that point head back to Redding or just return car in Sacramento. Railroad museum. SacDave for an amp?;)
    Or 80 east to Reno and return car there.

Fill in empty spots with other ideas that I'm sure will be great from others here.

william tele likes this.
  11. Mahnmut26

Mahnmut26 Tele-Meister

Far out, man! Your kid's gonna love it. I went to L.A. with my dad when I was 12, and we loved it so much we go back every year. It's just hard to top goin' to California with the people you love. Good luck and right on!
    If you stop in L.A. and want to be a total guitar freak, go to the Guitar Center on Sunset Blvd. in Hollywood. It's basically the Graumann's Theatre of guitar playing. There are the handprints of Jeff Beck, Lou Reed, Leo Fender Himself, and countless others. The store itself also has some beautiful rare guitars and even a table made out of a Strat body. One of the most memorable places I've ever been.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2016
  12. Zebulon Bluze

Zebulon Bluze Tele-Meister

San Luis Obispo - nice town if you have the time.
    Hearst Castle - a definite
    Don't miss Hollyweird
    Check out the LaBrea Tar Pits and natural history museum in downtown LA
    Skip the Getty Museum - it's just a rich man's storage locker
    My family liked the Aquarium of the Pacific in Long Beach
    San Diego Zoo
    Make sure to get burgers at Fatburgers

13. Mahnmut26

Mahnmut26 Tele-Meister

Agreed about the Getty Museum, but the Getty Villa in Palisades is pretty groovy if you've got time.
    But as long as we're talkin' California, I have to say, VeniceVeniceVenice!

14. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

+1 on the San Diego Zoo.

15. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

With only 2 weeks, unless you wanna spend the whole two weeks behind the wheel, you need to use some restraint. Sacramento is the furthest North I would go.

Check out Monterey and the section of CA 1 south from there through Carmel and Big Sur to Hearst Castle and Cambria, Cayucos, Morro Bay. If you can afford some wine, check out the vintners in and around Paso Robles. IMO clearly better than those boys up there in Napa and etc.

I'm not sure what to say about greater SF and greater LA. The traffic is just so stupid now; far better to tour along the section of CA 41 between Shandon and Morro Bay (and check out a little partially cinder road called Santa Rosa nearby). You may as well use the PCH and just jump on the expressway to get around the Long Beach portion of the coast but otherwise, just hug the coast on down past Camp Pendleton to DelMar. Oh, and IMO Buffalo Brothers is not worth checking out anymore.

You go South on CA 1 and back Northbound on US 101 or vice versa. You can get caught up in the SF stuff if you like or opt out and approach the Coast via the road past Laguna Seca. Another idea is to check out Pinnacles Park near where Getbent is, from either the CA25 side or the other side (cars cannot get through, one side to the other).

16. Smoky Booroo

Smoky Booroo Tele-Meister

Well, you could fly in to Oakland. Cheap and easy. Go up through Vallejo and Sonoma Valley, you could camp at a number of state parks inland. I wouldn't out at the coast. Better on the north coast to have a little hotel. I'd make my way to Gualala or Mendocino and stay a couple days there. Then drive down through the city... maybe stop at Golden Gate Park and go record shopping at amoeba in the haight but I would want to take HWY 1 down the coast. There is a cool spot north of Santa Cruz called Coasta Noa. Tent cabins and rustic but electric blankets and kind of cool. We spend all kinds of time in Santa Cruz and Monterey. I could kill a week there. The weather is generally very nice. The state park is Rio Del Mar/New Brighton beach. I mean you could just keep going down the coast slowly... they do call it the Slow Coast. Pick your own organic strawberries at Swantons. Big Sur is amazing and we love Cayucos and Cambria. You can pick up someone else's recommendations from Santa Barbara on.

Santa Cruz has a nice guitar shop "Sylvans". I played a 58 d28 there last week and it was nice!!!

Petaluma has a nice guitar shop too. "Tall Toad".

Good luck!

17. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

Disneyland!! Seriously. If you haven't been there, you must go.

18. Ira7

Ira7 Doctor of Teleocity

Your plan sounds perfect. But as far as returning back north, I say just take the same route, and cross over to the faster 101 as needed. (But pretty boring to drive.)

There are going to be more than enough things to see and do from your start and end points to fill 2 weeks.

Did the San Diego to San Fran trip twice, and loved it.

19. Ira7

Ira7 Doctor of Teleocity

The kid will love the amusement park in Santa Cruz, and there's a little town near there called Felton where we rented a really nice modern cabin on a small river, and it was real cheap.

It was a joy to have a nice barbecue after eating in so many restaurants and fast food places.

20. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

Great suggestions and thanks everybody !

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.