California has its problems, but the weather ain't one of them.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Toto'sDad, Jan 23, 2020.

1. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

You can't eat the weather

And it won't keep the nuts and flakes away, even in your gated community ;)

Bitter deathly cold helps keep the riff raff out, IME

Toto'sDad likes this.
  2. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Good luck, I've been to Oregon. I have a niece who lives there, she say it rains all of the time. I had a buddy who moved up to Washington, it rained every day he was there too, then one day he just packed up and moved back here, he wouldn't even talk about it.

3. dkmw

dkmw Friend of Leo's

I haven’t been to Bakersfield in quite some time. So, I have a question.

Have they relaxed the law that required every male over the age of 12 to wear a buck knife on their belt?

;)o_O

4. Art VanDelay

Art VanDelay Tele-Afflicted

I've lived in both OR and WA before. Rain is not a problem for me. Fun fact: the human body is waterproof if you keep your mouth shut (I bring this up when someone complains about rain).

nojazzhere and Toto'sDad like this.
  5. Toto'sDad

You my friend are entirely, and enthusiastically welcome to your cold weather. So far I'm not bothered by the nuts and flakes personally. I have been to Wisconsin, Illinois, and Indiana during the dead of winter, as long as I stay in my right mind, that will NEVER happen again. Chicago must be the ugliest place on the entire planet a day after a snow. I was there so long ago, that coal was still a big factor in heating. I went to bed after a big snow storm thinking the morning would be beautiful, when I awoke and went outside to see the beauty, I found that the entire place looked like it had rained two feet of dirty wet newspaper on it.

nojazzhere and blowtorch like this.
  6. Toto'sDad

No, a buck knife and a baseball bat are required for social discourse. Anything other than that, choose something more appropriate! :D

nojazzhere and dkmw like this.
  7. Toto'sDad

Now see that right there would be a problem for me, 'cause I'm always cackling away and would be at risk for drowning. :D

nojazzhere likes this.
  8. Toto'sDad

My son owns two houses in Florida that for some reason to do with taxes from a former business seemed a good idea at the time. He said he feared drowning in his own sweat while he was there refurbishing them. Now when they need work, he just calls someone to do it.:lol:

nojazzhere likes this.
  9. Toto'sDad

I also have a niece who lives there that loves Florida. I guess they make something for everyone!:lol:

10. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

We cannot all be vikings (not talking about minnesota :p)

BobbyZ and Toto'sDad like this.
  11. Toto'sDad

Doesn't Minnesota have the unquestionably worst weather in the USA? I have no desire at all to be a Viking, right now I'd rather be a 49er! :D:D:D

BobbyZ and blowtorch like this.
  12. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's

Flu symptoms + no actual positive flu test + sore knee that looks like arthritis and comes up negative on X-rays...

Do you have ticks there? If you had those symptoms & those test results you would be getting tested for Lyme's disease and other tick borne illnesses around here.

Funny thread. Does Bakersfield get wildfires from drought? To me that would be really bad weather.

I really love visiting CA.. always wanted to move there when I was younger but never did. These days I'm not as sure I'd have liked it. I would have ended up in Northern California.

Toto'sDad likes this.
  13. Mike H.

Mike H. Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

After 27 years in the Bay Area, we just left in October and moved back to Tennessee.
    I miss many things about California - the weather, the food, wineries, mountains and ocean, but not the crowds, the traffic, high taxes, and high cost of living.
    My wife and I upsized from 1700 square feet in the East Bay to 4600 square feet on 4 acres with a private lake in Tennessee.
    I'm loving that the population of the entire state of Tennessee is less than the greater Bay Area, so crowds are rare here. What they consider heavy traffic here is a joke by California standards. The best part is no more state income tax. Our quality of life has definitely improved in many areas since we moved.

nojazzhere and Toto'sDad like this.
  14. Toto'sDad

No ticks around here, there are some in the mountains, but I never go up there anymore other than to visit my brother in law, and I haven't been up there in months. No, no wildfires in B-Town. A few grass fires every year, but nothing too serious. In the mountains to the east of us, they sometimes have some pretty big fires, but they are forty to fifty miles away, we just get the smoke when they have a fire. If the wind is right, we don't even get that.

15. Toto'sDad

That's the thing that sometimes entices me. We could sell out here, and buy a spread with some acreage which I would enjoy. This is where my wife and I differ, what I would really like is a section of land and a house built in the exact center of it with a moat around the whole thing filled with alligators and lawyers. I know, I know, I'd have to keep replenishing the alligators, but hey a guy can dream can't he?

beninma and Mike H. like this.
  16. King Creole

King Creole Friend of Leo's

"Here in California fruit hangs heavy on the vines
    There's no gold I thought I'd warn you
    And the hills turn brown in the summertime."

17. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

My brother in law moved back to California from Oregon after too many "followed" him as he jokes. After he did a months long work project in some Midwestern his tuned changed to questioning why more people aren't living where water, costs and commutes make more sense.

:)

18. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Yeah, my nephews all seem to be finding a better combination of career aspirations and living arrangements in Washington, Oregon, DC and Colorado. The places they could afford now, in CA, are too far from the best job opportunities.

I really do not know how the Entrepreneurs who have made CA so wealthy and sought after, are going to be able to make a living at it - with all the Leisure Residents who will fight and die to have their beloved climate. Even though these old codgers don't surf, don't boat, don't ski and don't even swim in their own fancy swimming pools. And, let's don't forget about all the Investors from around the world who buy up all the nice real estate they can in the most livable places in SoCal. Often so the place can sit empty.

19. Art VanDelay

Art VanDelay Tele-Afflicted

I grew up in the Midwest. They all shake their heads at the cost of living. Its because you get what you pay for. The quality of life is simply better (which, of course, is opinion). What's going on in SF is the opposite of Detroit....too much money and investing. Only "American Psycho" Christian Bale types can survive there anymore.

Recruiters for SFPD came up here for recruiting. Starting pay for cops is $92K (and that's not a livable wage there). Think about that.

nojazzhere likes this.
  20. jguitarman

jguitarman Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I grew up in Arlington and lived in San Marcos and Austin for a few years before coming to CA. I was back visiting family in Arlington over Christmas and went to the local Home Depot. While there I mentioned to the employee helping me that I was from CA. All of a sudden this guy who was within earshot started telling me how Texans don't want Californians moving there. I have heard this about TX. and other states where the outflow from CA has been significant. I'm not bringing politics into this thread but my wife and grown kids would love to move out of the state. Among other things; it's terribly expensive here and crowded. The biggest reason for NOT moving is the climate. I don't think you can beat it anywhere except HI.

nojazzhere likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.