California has its problems, but the weather ain't one of them.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Toto'sDad, Jan 23, 2020.

1. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Played golf yesterday, it was supposed to be 64 degrees so I wore shorts, boy was I glad I did, 'cause the actual temp was 71 degrees when we got home about three in the afternoon! I posted a while back that I had the flu after having had the flu shot. I ended up with something strange happening that one of my knees swelled up, and the calf of my leg was really swelled. I went to the dock, he had some x-ray done and gave me some medicine that has all but cleared up the swelling and pain. BUT, I find that I have not regained my strength. I felt better than I have since the 25th of December, but my golf shots lacked any real punch. I am weak. I've played several times since being sick, but yesterday was a real eye opener, I felt good, but just didn't have the usual power in my golf swing.

This is the absolute best time of year for the San Joaquin Valley. The hills are covered in fresh green grass, it looks like the difference between a black and white, and a color photo! Later in the year the same hills will be covered in brown grass but now they are beautiful. The spring weather here is the best you can ask for, another beautiful day today too. I wouldn't be surprised to see another 70 degree day even though the prediction is for 64. I hope my strength comes back, and soon.

2. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

If I was smarter I'd move to California, that picture on here is me in Venice last October. It was beautiful there! It was snowing in Minnesota when I left for that trip and snowing when I got back.
    Need to talk to the state of Minnesota about a transfer to southern California. Maybe LA needs a snowplow instructor?

Toto'sDad likes this.
  3. Toto'sDad

The question begs to be asked Mr. Z, are you living in that trailer? :)

4. Toto'sDad

California is different for many people, I realize that. The California we live in is expensive, but we live remotely from most of the problems associated with California. I panic every once in a while and want to sell out and move away, but my wife says, hey kiddo, we've been in Bakersfield for over fifty years and nothing bad has happened yet! Also I say, it's expensive to live here, we could save money if we moved! She answers where is the money you saved after you quit drinking and smoking? Hmmmm. That's a good question. Oh well, we play golf almost every time we want to, and we haven't run out of money yet. Our family is here, so I guess when we run out of money, we can sell out and move to...Hey, I know we'll move in with my daughter she's the one who blew my plans to move out of Cali ten years ago, she's got it coming!

Straydogger, Skully and nojazzhere like this.
  5. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

Yes, CA is too big for a lot of stereotypes to be true. Lots of other place type stereotypes are incorrect and often more of a rural vs urban categorization.

@Toto'sDad is also right about "bad" areas. I see and hear silly warnings to not travel to some places but no one should travel at all of that is true. A state or city can have bad neighborhoods but that's not everywhere.

Toto'sDad likes this.
  6. Mechanic

Mechanic Friend of Leo's

I grew up in SoCal and left 45 years ago. My sister lives in Ventura. You are isolated from the cool ocean breezes and the Sierras keep that warmth in. My sister is hibernating because of the ocean breeze. Maybe mid to low 50s. Daughter in Vegas says she’s freezing there, but they live in Tucson. I’m in Salt Lake bundled up with a cup of coffee I’m my kitchen looking out at the Wasatch Mountains wishing I was in better shape than I am. I’d love to go skiing again.
    Enjoy the day!
    ✌❤️

Toto'sDad likes this.
  7. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

Wanting to leave California long before I actually did, I naturally have a different perspective. Nevertheless, @Toto'sDad, enjoy your spring weather and I suspect you are just experiencing the body recovering along its way back from your episode with the flu. Give it all you got on the links, but take it slow for a bit longer. Stay hydrated.

Toto'sDad likes this.
  8. Toto'sDad

Thanks Obsessed, some questioned whether I had the flu, but my doc took one look at me and said yep you had the flu. I'm still not sure what happened to the knee, the doc thought it was arthritis, but the x-rays didn't show any real problems, at any rate that part is almost back to normal. The loss of strength thing is surprising to me since through it all, except for a very few days, I've walked Alex for over a mile a day, and seemed okay. The hydrating thing is something I'm coming to believe in, my wife continually chides me to drink MORE water! I've also been on a medicine they give dogs called meloxicam (appropriate for an old dog, on the Bad Dog). It's supposed to relieve joint problems. I cut it in half today, since I was taking 15 mgs of it, and that is the stronger dose. If my knee is okay after a few days, I'll discontinue it altogether. I really don't like taking any kind of drug, that may be part of what's going on with my strength problem.

9. Ricky D.

Ricky D. Doctor of Teleocity

Easy does it, TD. Takes a while to get all the way back from the flu.

Toto'sDad likes this.
  10. Toto'sDad

As a boy, and man, I've left California, and the surrounding Bakersfield area in particular several times, but not for long, and I always come back like a tomcat who's worn out from prowling. I guess, I'll be planted here. If I decide to be cremated, on my death bed, I'm gonna eat a bag of un-popped pop corn so my cremation can be something spectacular!

11. Toto'sDad

I'm finding that out! Yesterday when I would hit a good solid shot at the golf course, I had to look to make sure I had taken the head cover off! :lol:

boris bubbanov likes this.
  12. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

So true.

I get out of the car, and go to the door of the various siblings, the parents, the other relatives, and friends in California and they all seem to be living a different life in a different state, from one another. Sometimes a life in an alternate country.

The Problem with CA is, government is supposed to be a manifestation of the values of its People. But their values are as varied, no, more varied than Human Imagination can grasp. California both embodies the very, very best of America and also some (some) of the worst of it. Almost any thing you can say about California is both true, and false, at any time you might happen to ask.

But the weather sure is attractive right now, isn't it?

Toto'sDad likes this.
  13. Toto'sDad

That is so true! I see golf tournaments broadcast from different parts of the country from cities that have high crime rates, but I'm guessing the folks who belong to the club where the tournament is being played at are never bothered with them. I once read where a man who was not a member was sitting at the Riviera Country club out on the veranda having a drink as a guest looking out at the golf course. He mused to himself, yeah, I'd trade my first born for a membership! I wouldn't do that, but I think I get what he was saying. One day a while back, and I've reported it here once before, we drove by one of the oldest Country Clubs in Bakersfield. My wife remarked "look, some homeless have set up a camp just below the country club." I told her, they won't be here the next time we come by here. A week later we came by and there was nary a trace of them, nor their junk.

nojazzhere likes this.
  14. Toto'sDad

I'm a warm weather guy, no question about it. This time of the year is perfect for me and the missus, because she likes the weather to be cool. I don't care if it gets hot, but it's not her desire for it to be so. I know we will have a few more days of cool weather, but not many. I'm okay until next year now, and I don't even mind the few days of cold weather, because it's not really ever what you could call cold here.

15. Toto'sDad

California is no different than trying to get a few friends to make up their minds where they want to have lunch, it's just that there are almost forty million of them trying to make up their minds.

boris bubbanov likes this.
  16. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

As great as I know you and Alex would be as neighbors here in Tejas, we've got WAY TOO MANY California transplants moving here. I guess one of the worst things about getting old in your hometown is remembering the best parts of your childhood, and seeing them gone, torn down, over run, and just ground into the dirt. Besides, from your perspective, while our population is bulging at the seams, we seem to be closing golf courses all over the place. The municipal course near my childhood home is now just a walking area, with a dog park at one end. :(

Toto'sDad likes this.
  17. Antmax

Antmax Tele-Meister

California is about twice as big as the UK where I'm from and has just over half the population. It's a big, fairly empty place and different regions have quite different climates. Here in Sacramento I'm fortunate to live in a really nice neighbourhood. Safe, quiet, not particularly diverse but it's nice to see teenage kids enjoying spending time with grandparents and stuff, young kids playing out on the street with other kids. It's pretty nice.

My only problem is that 6 months of the year the weather is way too hot. Above 76f I prefer to stay indoors. I love the autumn and spring, don't mind winter. But Summer is a real drag with temps usually reaching 110+ for several weeks at the height of summer.

Still, I always feel greatfull when I come home from visiting say the bay area. Hit East Sacramento and turn into my River Park neighbourhood and I feel really lucky. Spoilt with a plethora of walkable and bikeable amenities within 2 miles. Downtown, work within 5. 15 minutes commute by bike or car down tree lined residential streets with parks. Only time I have to use the freeway is when I choose to visit people out of town. Usually once or twice a month. Otherwise, if it wasn't for the laziness inducing heat I wouldn't even need a car.

There is a huge homeless problem though. It ruins the otherwise excellent 30+ mile long American River Parkway only 100 yards away. And it's expensive. My 980 sq/ft 2 bed 1 bath home would probably cost $150k in many places in other states but it's location near the state capitol makes it close to $500k or $2k monthly rent. Pretty crazy.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2020
  18. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I guess the thing that scared or annoyed me the most, about Weather in your area, were these long bouts of Tule Fog. Days entirely lost to 39 F and no visibility, or no clearing until 2:30 PM. All that fresh snow up in the mountains, and just really a challenge to get up there to ski in it.

Those big dust storms are scary, also. Thinking about those wrecks involving scores and scores of cars, pickups and heavy trucks, especially in certain spots on I-5 and CA 99.

19. Art VanDelay

Art VanDelay Tele-Afflicted

I personally will move to Oregon as soon as I can after graduation. I costs too much to live here. This state has a serious identity crisis.

Toto'sDad likes this.
  20. Toto'sDad

I don't intend to move to Texas, so you can relax. (well at least for right now) Although when I was a kid, I thought Galveston was the most beautiful place I had ever been to. I would also have to realize that the changes which I'm sure have transpired in the 68 years since I've been there are surely huge. Golf is dying, I'm just hoping that it will last as long as I can still play, and I can see myself nearing that point. It will never really die, it's just going to be taken away from the masses and will be played on private golf courses as it was originally intended.

At least five courses within driving distance of our place have closed up, and are gone in the last ten years. We are fortunate that the course right near us is very active and doing well financially. Though we play the county courses more than we do that one. Our kids give us gift cards to play the one close to us so we play there fairly regularly. It's a shorter course fraught with trouble and water though. The designer was a genius in making it play much harder than the length would imply. It's not short, it's just shorter than some of the others. The par 3s have water, and so many bunkers your first look at them makes you go. Whuuuuuuut? The final hole a par five has to be thought out to play, you have multiple sand traps, AND water directly in front of the green, water behind the green and on both sides. Not for the weak of heart! I bought my wife a little wood to help her play that hole, I try to get her into position to use it to cross the bunkers and water. The last time we played there, she made it onto the green, that was the high point of her day!

nojazzhere likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.