California Drought 2021

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Stanford Guitar, Jun 15, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stanford Guitar

Stanford Guitar Tele-Afflicted

Getting serious. This large lake that I mountain bike by is basically a mud puddle now. This Great Blue Heron is probably thinking, 'what the hell is going on?'!

4420437A-3C76-4FD9-B787-3EEE9C847AAD_1_105_c.jpeg

Last edited: Jun 15, 2021
    Flip G, telemnemonics, jays0n and 3 others like this.
  2. RobRiggs

RobRiggs Tele-Holic

Lake Berryessa. Normally the top of that concrete pipe is just below the lake’s surface level
    82400FE4-8D7D-4AD6-A0DD-23843A3619C8.jpeg

Flip G and dented like this.
  3. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

It's for real, no doubt about it.

nojazzhere likes this.
  4. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

And a growing problem with big consequences in other places. For food, now vital high plains and upper Midwest areas without irrigation are in D1 - D4 status as we've seen in the west for a while.

https://droughtmonitor.unl.edu

Some of our business intelligence sources are warning continued pressure on pricing and challenges to keep the grocery stores stocked.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2021
  5. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Poster Extraordinaire

Not just California, but the entire Southwest is in record breaking drought conditions.

I think the things most often associated with California by non-Californians are gold, earthquakes, surfing, and movie stars. Maybe Disneyland, too. But growing up in Southern California gave me a different perspective. It's an arid climate. Drought and fires are commonplace, and were so long before the Gold Rush. Add huge exponential population growth over the last 150 years, and there ya go. We were taught in school to save water and not play with matches. When it did rain it poured, making for mudslides in the Winter, and increased fire danger in the late Summer. Yeah, you get nice temperatures year round on the coast. But you also get droughts and fires. Both of each cause more damage and devastation overall than earthquakes.

Nevada is almost all desert, and kinda expected to have water issues. But Lake Mead (a man-made lake, BTW) is at record lows. That's not good for a number of reasons. All population related. Climate change models predict hotter temperatures and more droughts in the Southwest. We are going to have to come up with better and more sustainable solutions to handle the massive population growth and movement in the Southwest.

Hate to paint a negative picture. But it's going to get worse before it gets any better. If at all.

6. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

My sister lost her house to the Santa Cruz Complex forest fire last year, my dad and other sister live in extreme fire danger areas the foothills of the Sierra and my nephew lives in Chico where it is forecasted to hit 110°F this week. My best friend is trying to retire and move out of Silicon Valley, but doesn’t know where to move. They all have so many concerns that ironically, I don’t think drought is even in their top five.

Part of the issue is “low water” years are fairly common and usually comes back, but this trend seems to be disappearing.

drlucky, telemnemonics, Lotek and 2 others like this.
  7. Torren61

Torren61 Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Nothing to see here folks. It rained somewhere so that proves it. (He said, his words dripping with sarcasm.)

Jonzilla, drlucky and nojazzhere like this.
  8. Torren61

Torren61 Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Lake Mendocino looks to be about 50' lower than normal. I drove by Boggs Lake yesterday and its been reduced from a half mile in diameter to about 20 feet in diameter.

telemnemonics and bebopbrain like this.
  9. Preacher

Preacher Friend of Leo's

It all had to go somewhere

[​IMG]

10. JL_LI

JL_LI Poster Extraordinaire

There's nothing more that needs to be said.

GeneB, eddiewagner and zimbo like this.
  11. teleman1

teleman1 Friend of Leo's

People who cut California, don't know JACK. Again, the JACK you need to know is Science. WE don't have enough water because of our misbehavior and we pollute our aquifers too. I am sure most posting here know California has the biggest issue of using up deep aquifers that take years to replenish on their own. THAT is where San Juaquin gets most of its water. And the Earth is sinking in these areas. Funny how man can't come to terms with is handling of the environment, or should i say no handling. Blows me away folks don't understand the severity of these issues so they can realign their thought process to reality. Old McDonald had a farm, e-i-e-i-o And on that farm was a dark road, e-i-e-i-o. And a Dark road here and a dark road there, here a a dark there a dark everywhere a dark dark. I mean how many dark roads do we need to see to get the PICTURE?

Obsessed, drlucky, Matt Sarad and 6 others like this.
  12. teleman1

teleman1 Friend of Leo's

Looks like green grass is going in Arizona, invest in astro turf!

13. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

I saw a special on lake Meade and lake Powell. Sad. I fished for stripers in lake Meade

14. SacDAve

SacDAve Poster Extraordinaire

The lakes are extremely low and chances are they will remain low until hopefully we get rain a lot of rain next fall into winter. A bigger problem is Water Table & Aquifers they are getting pumped dry more and more every year (not just Ca.) The last big drought in Ca. well companies were working around the clock digging wells deeper to the point has resulted in permanent subsidence and related ground failures.

https://www.usgs.gov/special-topic/...ce_center_objects=0#qt-science_center_objects

drlucky and SRHmusic like this.
  15. Ironwolf

Ironwolf Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

One of the major reservoirs in Southern Idaho in Southern Idaho was just shut down due to low water. It cuts all the farmers in the area off from their supplies after only 28 days. A fish salvage has been declared below the dam in the river and canal as there is insufficient water to maintain the population. From now until the bed is dry, anglers can take all of any species they can, using any method at their disposal.

Toadtele, drlucky and telemnemonics like this.
  16. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I'll just repeat the same two words I always mention when concerns are expressed about the diminishing of ANY natural resource......"OVER POPULATION".

Toadtele, Novak, Levitamin and 3 others like this.
  17. Danb541

Danb541 Friend of Leo's

I'll add two words.. Climate Change

18. BB

BB Poster Extraordinaire

Very sad situation indeed. In a lighter vein, I partied with strippers on Lake Mead!

19. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Just happened to watch this. That part of Utah should hand out fiddles so people can pretend to be Nero.

GGardner, claes, ghostchord and 4 others like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.