California Club

Discussion in 'US Member Clubs' started by telefunken, Feb 28, 2013.

1. Monotremata

Monotremata Tele-Afflicted

Been here my whole 38 years. Born and raised for 19 years around Ontario, Upland, Montclair, Pomona, and Fontana. The California Jam was literally 5 minutes from our house but a year before i was born. Lived up in Santa Maria and San Luis Obispo for a few years. Ventura for 10 years and been in Coachella for the last 3. Hopefully back to Ventura one day cause i really miss it heh.

2. joshote

joshote Tele-Meister

Born in San Francisco. Grew up Oxnard-Port Hueneme. Lived in Marina and Ben Lomond for a few years. Back to Ventura in So-Cal. Now I live out at the old State Hospital in Camarillo, by the "scary dairy".

Attached Files:

3. Tele295

Tele295 Poster Extraordinaire

Sounds like we need a Ventura TDPRI jam!

4. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

I was there in '85 for a few surf comps after coming down from Seattle...

did a drive down Baja to Ensenada and back in the old Country Squire.... unregistered/uninsured ...:lol:..

ate Pizza out the back of the old Zubis ... saw the Red Hot Chili Peppers at a sunday afternoon beer garden in the back blocks of Costa Mesa.

walked the pier and hung out at the Froghouse with Frank and TJ..playing backgammon for $.. oh yeh...:cool:

spent the morning at the Paramount studios while they did the Today Show with my buddy Mike who was centre camera..wandered into the Cheers bar set for a look,,,. :D

do I qualify for a guest membership?...;)

Attached Files:

5. Monotremata

Monotremata Tele-Afflicted

I will say I have never lived in a place with such a healthy and inviting local music scene. I was there 5 months and was already taken in by the whole metal/punk scene and had tons of folks to jam with. Its what pretty much ended my little electronic music vacation and made me get out my guitar again. My friend Brian used to book the Livery every sunday and our wierdo bands always got to play and GOT PAID!! Man I miss that place!!

6. FRESHMEAT

FRESHMEAT Tele-Meister

South Orange County Man

I live in Mission Viejo California. I grew up in Buena Park. In the 70s I remember back yard and living room parties with bands playing. Many of these musicians were very talented. I'm still friends with a few of them. I moved to California in 1969. I'm 58 years old right now. I worked at Music Man amps in Anaheim 76/77. I also worked at CBS Musical Instruments for around two years in the late 70s. I'm a gearhound and a guitar musical hobbyist. I love reading, seeing and sharing information about gear, music, bands, etc.

7. Davo17

Davo17 Friend of Leo's

Freshmeat very cool, did you ever meet Leo Fender?

8. slippin slider

slippin slider Tele-Afflicted

Eastbay ,oakland berkeley, alameda
    Pomona, Belmont shore ( long beach ) Pleasent Hill, Walnut Creek ( aka snappy town ).
    I really don' t know any natives, everybody now days is from some where else.
    Developement cdrtainly is screwin'with the ar arcane beauty of a lot of california
    Hunting beach inthe mid 60's was so cool, venice beach west berkeley parts of north oakland,
    Now it's stuccoville nowhere replacing all that "stupid old stuff.

9. slauson slim

slauson slim Friend of Leo's

Born in Hollywood, raised in South Central LA, lived on George AFB courtesy of USAF, and in Victorville, Adelanto, Apple Valley, Gardena, Hollywood, Venice, San Francisco, Davis, Sacramento and at present West Sacramento.

Both sides of my family came to LA about 100 years ago from Mexico via Texas and Chicago, and from Greece via Mexico. Fleeing revolution, war and violence.

10. Booman

Booman Tele-Holic

Native. Born in the lovely little oasis known as Taft:eek:. After living on the west side of the SF bay in my early years I have lived in the eastbay most of my 56 years.

11. FRESHMEAT

FRESHMEAT Tele-Meister

I never spoke with him. I saw him standing there talking to a friend of mine back then, when I came by to pick him up from work. I forgot if it was G&L or Music Man at the time. I worked for the Music Man amps in Anaheim. My friend worked where they made the guitars and basses. Some of the people I knew and worked with back then, I now have read about in books, internet, etc. I later on became a video technician for years. I now am a low voltage union electrical worker. I'm in the same union I was when I worked for Fender in the late 70s. From what I understand, Leo was pretty down to earth kind of guy. One of the things I've read about, I was actually at. One day I was at the Crazy Horse and, a country band was playing. Leo was there covering his ears. He left because it was too loud for him. This Crazy Horse was off the 55 freeway and, the 405 freeway. I believe it was Santa Ana. I don't believe it is there anymore. I agree with people who have posted about how much southern California has changed.

12. Davo17

Davo17 Friend of Leo's

Awesome! Hard to imagine a country joint in Santa Ana these days.

13. k.l.k

k.l.k Tele-Holic

wow.

sad.

used to drive out there for gigs.

14. Good Iron

Good Iron Poster Extraordinaire

Yes I remember that place -- the guarantee is change - Change is a certainty, good or bad is up to interpretation ==

That was a pretty big place as I recall

Good Iron

15. FRESHMEAT

FRESHMEAT Tele-Meister

I don't remember it being that big. The band that night I believe was named something like The Desert Rose Band? My freind and I were chatting at the bar with a couple of the musicians from the band. It was pretty casual.

16. cornfed

cornfed Tele-Meister

San Diego, Mission Valley
    [​IMG]

17. Slidedude

Slidedude Tele-Holic

N. CA East Bay here. Been a Strat guy forever, but now I only pull the Tele out of my stands. Used to tour several times a year with some fabulous musicians, but now my days in that rodeo are over. Write and record with my wife and a cool little Americana rock band out of Somoma County.

Love it here... Moved here from Honolulu back in the early 80's, but born and raised in Illinois.

18. Slidedude

Slidedude Tele-Holic

Here's my Leo Fender story: I'm walking down the aisle at a NAMM show one year, and standing at the edge of the G&L booth, all by himself, being passed by by all the hairspray and spandex, was Leo Fender. I got up my courage and I introduced myself and thanked him for what he has done for the electric guitar. He was very gracious, and asked me if I'd like to see "his new guitars". At this point I'm pinching myself, because freaking Leo Fender is pitching me on a G & L guitar. He asked him why the guitar had a three bolt neck, and he told me "well, in 1965, when CBS started making Stratocaster copies (his words!) they placed the third neck bolt too close to the other two. It didn't have sufficient lateral stability. You'll notice I've moved mine farther away."

I thanked him for his time and spent the rest of the show on Cloud Nine.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2014
    Skamania likes this.
  19. Davo17

Davo17 Friend of Leo's

Slidedude I can only imagine how cool that would have been. Sounds like he was an engineer through and through-and that he was well aware of fenders fall from grace at that time-I would have loved to know his thoughts walking through the fender area of namm that year.

20. LowThudd

LowThudd Friend of Leo's

SFV, currently Van Nuys.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.