1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Cakewalk by Bandlab DAW - now for free

Discussion in 'Recording In Progress' started by Alamo, Apr 5, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Alamo

Alamo Doctor of Teleocity

64bit for Windows7 - Win10.

"We are making the software completely free to use to ensure that anyone, regardless of their resources, technology or stage in their career, can have access to the highest level of professional music production tools. This is part of our ongoing effort to empower musicians to make and share their music around the world. "

wow!

• World-leading DAW SONAR, with the entire SONAR Platinum feature set, is relaunching as Cakewalk by BandLab
    • Full authentication and unlimited feature-access will be available free
    • Early access to Cakewalk by BandLab is available now on Windows
    https://blog.bandlab.com/cakewalk-by-bandlab-press-release/

Carl_Tone likes this.
  2. suthol

suthol Friend of Leo's

Consider it grabbed, interested to see how it looks these days

Alamo likes this.
  3. Alamo

I installed it when I posted this thread and twiddled around a couple o' hours.
    got my first rough mix together ...and I'm rather impressed with the work flow, features and design.
    there's far less head scratching time involved than with Reaper and Tracktion7. :confused:
    I think I like it ...so far. ha.

4. suthol

suthol Friend of Leo's

During the installation process I got asked for iLok validation for the Mix Desk which I attempted but it didn't seem to go anywhere.

Any clues ??

5. Alamo

I don't know about iLok but Bandlab wanted me to sign in my Google or Facebook account.
    did that and it went smooth. kicked bandlab out of the autostart menu later
    also I had to tell my antivirus program that it's ok to install.

6. suthol

suthol Friend of Leo's

I just created an account using my email address, bugger giving more access via FB or Google.

As expected I had to give my AV & Windoze permission to install.

It was only the Mixdesk component that asked for iLok and I've not had a chance to have a play yet but will put a project in later today and see how it goes

Alamo likes this.
  7. noah330

noah330 Friend of Leo's

Finally worth the price!

Teleposer likes this.
  8. Alamo

asnarski and paratus like this.
  9. Average_Joe

Average_Joe Tele-Holic

First week with the software, now trying to use the sequencer for the SI-Drum kit. When I load a pattern it puts the first 4 beats into the recording channel, great, but then when I load another pattern to continue beats 5-8 it overwrites the first 4 beats.

What am I missing?

Noob help thanks.

10. Average_Joe

Average_Joe Tele-Holic

Great software and having fun with it. My favorite amp sim in there at the moment is the Slo 88 model.

[​IMG]

Alamo likes this.
  11. henram36

henram36 Tele-Meister

That does sound pretty good. Any VST's or loops come with this such as drums/percussion? I may have a look-see.

12. paratus

paratus Friend of Leo's

nothing wrong with that tone, especially if it makes you happy!

13. Teleposer

Teleposer Tele-Holic

It depends if you bought the version of Home studio they did on the end of life sale they had for a bit. I did. I got 4GB or rapture synth sounds. Plus a few GB of some other stuff iirc.

Those that download this version don't get that. They do get a few bits and pieces though. Not to be sniffed at for free.

You can still buy the SHS (sonar home studio) version if you get Computer Music or a back copy, I think. That includes the free SHS that you don't even have to pay for and the content is included. Of course, no one gets all the free content that came with this program before due to licensing issues.

Track down CM and get SHS, it's well worth it. Also, another reason why you might want to do this is because it comes with come plugins that are not licensed for this free version by Bandlab.

If you go to Kvraudio I've explained in the main thread there what the differences are and what you need to do to get up and running. Also I've posted on the Cakewalk videos on youtube with the same information. I researched it quite a bit as I'm a DAW freak.

The only reason I didn't buy it before (apart from the version I spent 15 quid on last Xmas) was because it's pretty unstable on a lot of systems.

I must say this version is much more stable. Some people have no problems. And others just can't get it to run. But this is the case for other DAWs too like Studio One, which runs fine on my old computers.

Sonar is a great program. Really great. It's free. It may or may not work on your system. Check it to see. If it runs good then consider getting the other add-ons and plugins.

An old copy of CM costs about 10 bucks, but they may have run out now.

Best thing about it? It comes with TH3 which is a very very good amp modeler in my opinion. Then again, I don't know much about amp modelers.

If nothing else, you can download the program and use the VST FX plugins in your other DAWs. Only a few of them mind you, but what you can use is a great bonus.

Check the threads on KVR and the vids on youtube. Even Gearslutz has some solid advice as well.

14. MrGibbly

MrGibbly Tele-Afflicted

Funny how this story followed an arc. Cakewalk was the very first of these tools I ever encountered back when it was just a sequencer and had just moved to UART. I got "hooked" with the Express version that shipped with SoundBlaster cards in what must've been the early '90s. Not long after, I remember my uncle (who owns a recording studio, then and now) saying he could do *almost* everything with a computer & Cakewalk as he could with his whole studio. He was probably calling it a little early but he definitely saw where things were headed...

It's pretty amazing to me what it grew into as it became Sonar. These tools in general have some so far, so fast.

15. Digital Larry

Digital Larry Friend of Leo's

I started doing some recordings on my laptop in the living room with the free Cakewalk by Bandlab connected to my Yamaha THR10C.

I also have SONAR Professional downstairs so it was interesting to figure out the relevant differences. I hardly used SONAR at all for a few years but just cracked it open a few days ago and am on my way to piecing something together.

I have a few more plugins with SONAR Pro than the free version, for sure. At the moment it is not preventing me from using the free version to get ideas down.

16. Carl_Tone

Carl_Tone Tele-Holic

I am just testing this out. It trounces Sonar 8 which I left behind for Samplitude Pro X. The sound quality is finally up there with Samplitude...and it's being given away! How cool is that!!

Alamo likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.