Cajon Build.

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by HockeyPop98, May 7, 2018.

1. HockeyPop98

HockeyPop98 Tele-Holic

My son bought this cajon kit recently, which he was going to build then have me apply a nice finish to. He's graduating high school this month, and between work, hockey, and preparing for college (he got awarded 2 scholarships, one a four year full-ride Honors scholarship worth around $80k, thank God! More for my shop!!!), he asked me this morning if I want to do the entire build.

Well, YES! I was hoping he'd ask, it would give me a chance to make my own designs based on what I learn from it.

I'll post some pics and run a dialogue on my progress. My son got his license this past fall, and is driving himsrlf everywhere now, so I should have more free time to keep up on my posts. He had a buddy from his hockey team who died in a car crash 10 days after getting his license, which I'm sure affected his desire to drive up until this school year, which his mom and I were totally cool with. But, time marches on...

Anyway, here's a pic of his kit. I'm thinking the plyood has a maple top, maybe birch? I think I'll go with a red mahogany finish, with a yellow or amber coat applied first, which looks cool on mahogany, don't know what will happen here. The front will be a yellow or saffron color, and I'll just seal it with a bazillion coats of dewaxed shellac, to let it age nicely over the years. That's a little ways away, though. Here we go!
    IMG_20180507_134541_20180507144447054.jpeg

2. draggindakota

draggindakota Tele-Meister

Nice, this will be interesting to watch. I've got plywood in the garage that's waiting to be turned into a cajon also.

dr_tom and Jerry Lee like this.
  3. JuneauMike

JuneauMike Friend of Leo's

I've built a couple of cajons. They are easy and you can use lots of different materials. I used Baltic birch ply and some thin wood, forget the type, for the tapas. Also used rabbet joints. If I did it again, I'd use solid wood for the box (pine maybe) and go with a box joint.

I've been curious about whether those kits use a veneer or not? Do you know?

dr_tom likes this.
  4. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

I've wanted to build one too, I'll be watching.
    I was thinking of using Luan and Birch ply.

I saw a video of a guy sitting on one using his heels on 2 floor drum pedals to sound off on the Canjon while he played his guitar. It was awesome.

Jerry Lee likes this.
  5. Jerry Lee

Jerry Lee Tele-Afflicted

Mmmmmm I do have some Baltic birch plywood in the garage....

HockeyPop98 likes this.
  6. Jerry Lee

Jerry Lee Tele-Afflicted

If I built two would I have a nice pair of cajones?:lol:

LocoTex, 2blue2, HockeyPop98 and 2 others like this.
  7. 2blue2

2blue2 Friend of Leo's

INcSN.jpg

Awesome but with this many accessories it needs those wheels.

Zepfan, dr_tom and HockeyPop98 like this.
  8. chugachjed

chugachjed Tele-Meister

A buddy of mine builds cajons professionally. Lefty’s Cajon is his company. He’s got a few videos on his site that show parts of the build process.

9. Jerry Lee

Jerry Lee Tele-Afflicted

That is awesome!

dr_tom and 2blue2 like this.
  10. HockeyPop98

HockeyPop98 Tele-Holic

I believe it's all just birch plywood. The front is ⅛" 3-ply, the back of that piece has a very faint flame pattern which I'm not sure isn't somehow connected to machining, but I may play with it a little before deciding whether or not to show the logo. The only downside I give the kit is the plywood top and sides. I hate the thought of showing rounded plywood edges as the finished product.

I had a freak incident happen 2 weeks ago that has brought this project into the spare bedroom that I used for a recovery room from my March surgery. I was walking into the bedroom and stubbed my sock covered big toe on the carpet. I knew I probably broke it, but I was also feeling an odd sensation on the ball of my foot. I took the sock off, and found the toe just hanging from the skin underneath! Well, they sutured it back on, unfortunately having to push the needle through the top of my toenail for one of them (stitches out a few days ago), but my doctor would prefer I send stayed out of the shop a couple more weeks.

My son, bless his heart, brought in this heavy, 1½" 16 ply polyed plywood top I got at as part of a workbench at an auction, for my future new shop when we move hopefully sometime this summer. I just sit it on the adjustable bed in the spare bedroom, and if I want to relax and watch TV, slide it behind the door! Doc doesn't have to worry about my dropping anything on my foot, I don't have to shove things around to get to any major tools since this is precut, so everybody wins!

Here's a pic of what comes in the kit. I will be starting it today, and try to update tonight.

I am curious what those who have built these from scratch have used for the snare.

IMG_20180509_120827.jpeg

Last edited: May 9, 2018
    Jerry Lee likes this.
  11. HockeyPop98

HockeyPop98 Tele-Holic

Today I started the kit, first checking the fit of the barefaced housing joints that hold the top, bottom, and left/right sides together. The fit was nice and tight, and I opted for good old original Titebond to fasten them together. I used strap clamps to pull the joints nice and tight. A quick check with my square to confirm it will be a rectangular box and not a parallelogram, and now we wait while glue dries.

I was going to go ahead with the next step after 2 hours passed before stopping tonight, but decided to stop for today, first, so this fun little project isn't over before I know it, and so I can clear off the bed and get my foot up some tonight as directed, since I have a penchant for overdoing things! I'll leave the clamps on until tomorrow.

I'm not thrilled that this box is basically only held together with glue, considering my 6'4", 240 lb son will be sitting on it and beating it, but he's never broken a guitar body I've glued. Then again, he doesn't sit on them...

Here's the progress for today:

IMG_20180509_164646.jpeg IMG_20180509_164615.jpeg IMG_20180509_164426.jpeg

Zepfan likes this.
  12. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Weird about your toe. I dropped the heavy mower deck from my 54” lawn tractor on my foot, just cutting across my big toe- l thought I might have almost crushed it off, but it was just lacerated, nail cracked all the way across, and a shoe full of blood.

Anyway, cool project, and great thing to do with/for your son. I wouldn’t worry about the glue joints, there is collective strength in the structure of the box.

HockeyPop98 and dr_tom like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.