Cactus!šŸŒµ

TheCheapGuitarist

Tele-Holic
I follow Derek St. Holmes (Nugent's on again/off again vocalist) on facebook, it seems that he plays out all the time. He uploaded some video of a recent concert with Jim McCarty.

thunderbyrd

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
back about 70 - 71, i used to hear an ad on the radio about Cactus and some other band playing locally having a "guitar duel". i remember hearing that many times, i guess Cactus must have played in Louisville, ky, a bunch of times. never found out who won the "duel".

wabashslim

Friend of Leo's
back about 70 - 71, i used to hear an ad on the radio about Cactus and some other band playing locally having a "guitar duel". i remember hearing that many times, i guess Cactus must have played in Louisville, ky, a bunch of times. never found out who won the "duel".
I think you're right, I lived in Louisville at the time.
Hey, remember the Brothers Pride?
Or the local group who recorded that song "In Louisville Kentucky All The Hippies Say Come On Back To Beer"?

thunderbyrd

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
I think you're right, I lived in Louisville at the time.
Hey, remember the Brothers Pride?
Or the local group who recorded that song "In Louisville Kentucky All The Hippies Say Come On Back To Beer"?
no, i don't remember those things, i was just a 10-11 year old kid and i lived 50 miles east of Louisville. i just knew what i heard on WAKY.

archetype

Fiend of Leo's
Mr. McCarty was also with Mitch Ryder and the Detroit Wheels and the Rockets (late 70's early 80's Detroit band). John "The Bee" Badandjek (spelling?) on drums in both cases. He was also an excellent musician.

Oh, yeah! Listen to McCarty on I'd Rather Go To Jail, by Mitch and the Wheels. It's as close to punk R&B as it gets.

rdjones

Tele-Holic
I started out as a fan of Vanilla Fudge so I followed The Hardest Working Rhythm Section in R&R (Bogert, Appice) in Cactus and Beck, Bogert and Appice.
I also saw The Rockets a couple times in the late '70s.
All great stuff, I love Cactus.

uriah1

Telefied
Gold Supporter
Yep., saw them back then and a reunion concert a few years back.!
Great stuff..

Carmine has always been one of my favorite rock drummers too.

TheCheapGuitarist

Tele-Holic
Yep., saw them back then and a reunion concert a few years back.!
Great stuff..

Carmine has always been one of my favorite rock drummers too.
I never realized how ahead of his time Carmine Appice was until I started checking out the early stuff with Cactus, Jeff Beck, etc. He was doing killer fills back then that nobody else was (perhaps Bonham), and people are still using those fills today.

MickM

Poster Extraordinaire
Platinum Supporter
I never realized how ahead of his time Carmine Appice was until I started checking out the early stuff with Cactus, Jeff Beck, etc. He was doing killer fills back then that nobody else was (perhaps Bonham), and people are still using those fills today.
My 16 yr old neighbor turned me on to the first 2 Cactus records and I used to blast them on Mom's 8-Track when she went to work.
When Zeppelin first toured the US opening for Vanilla Fudge Carmine got John Bonham hooked up with Ludwig and he too had a double bass kit for a short while 'til Jimmy Page put the kibosh on it.

Whateverdude

Tele-Meister
Good stuff, Jim is a local legend in the Detroit scene, love his contributions to the wonderful world of rock ā€˜n roll. Cactus definitely influenced a lot of band in the stoner genre, myself included.