Cabronita conversion to STANDARD tele

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by ruger9, Jul 26, 2016.

1. ruger9

ruger9 Poster Extraordinaire

I am seriously considering converting my Cabronita into a standard (2 single coils) tele. I don't want P90s, I don't want Filtertrons of any kind. But I LOVE the guitar itself- it's very resonant, the neck is fantastic, and it just feels good. So, rather than get rid of it because of the pickups/cavities, I'm thinking of putting a standard bridge and pickguard on it so I can drop in my favorite tele pickups of choice.

Does anyone see an issue with this? I did see in another thread someone mentioned the standard pickgaurd may not cover the screw hole closest to the volume knob, but my biggest concern is... will the standard bridge plate cover the entire filtertron rout?

2. KevinB

KevinB Doctor of Teleocity

My concern would be the bridge pickup route (the slanted Tele bridge pickup takes a lot of space) and the bridge mounting holes ("modern" 3 or "vintage" 4). I mean they're nothing you can't change but it might take some work.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. comebackkid

comebackkid Tele-Meister

Isn't the cavity for a filtertron / TV Jones / whatever, smaller than a Tele neck routing (width - wise)?

4. brbadg

brbadg Tele-Afflicted

I would think you'd have to get one of those long six saddle tele bridges also. Like the ones on the Squier Affinity.

5. ruger9

Is it longer than the American Standard ones? It's hard to tell from pics...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. ricardo1912

ricardo1912 Tele-Afflicted

I know what you mean about the Cabronita necks. They are really comfortable to play. However it might be easier to just put the neck on a standard Tele. I currently have a Baja that's wearing the neck from one of my Cabs. It's a great combination

brbadg likes this.
  7. ruger9

The reason I don't see that as an option is... then what would I do with the Cab? Sell it neck-less? Because it's the Filtertrons I don't want. I wouldn't mine converting the guitar, and even routing a little if necessary... but if it's the OPPOSITE... if something is already "too big (a hole)", then that pretty much niks the whole idea; I'm not going to great lengths... I was just thinking, drop a new bridge on, drop new pickups in (neck mounted to new pickguard), and it's done...

8. funff

funff Tele-Holic

I'm in a similar boat. Love the Cab itself and the neck is wonderful. Adore the bridge pickup but not keen on the neck. I mulled over how to fit and make nice a standard Tele neck pickup, I have a spare twisted Tele.
    Still mulling. I'm not very practical.

9. KevinB

Here are the specs on Fender Tele bridges...

[​IMG]

10. ruger9

Well, there's always TV Jones T-Armond pickups (in a "Universal Mount"- they are Filtertron-sized, drop-in replacements), which I have thought about trying myself... they are described by most people as "somewhere between a tele pickup and a P-90". I'm just so tried of auditioning pickups, I have single coil tele pickups I know I love, and there's MANY more of those to choose from as well if I want to start swapping in the future... and the TVJs are kind of expensive...

[​IMG]

...TVJ also has Filtertron-sized P90s (called "T90"), and I also thought of putting in the hotter set of Filters that go in the Billy Bo guitars: Powertron+ bridge and Powertron neck. BUT... TVJ is pretty much the only game in town if you need something filtertron-sized, that isn't a classic filtertron.

Duostang likes this.
  11. ruger9

But are either of those the "Affinity" bridge? Or are those just the MIA/MIM ones? I never realized the Am.Std. bridge was any longer than the "vintage style" one...hmm.... I would be getting an Am.Std. bridge, in any event.

12. KevinB

They would be Fender (USA and MIM spec) ones.

Anything goes for non-Fender made Squiers. :eek:

13. adamel111

adamel111 TDPRI Member

This is a useful thread - I am on a trek for a white (or white blonde) thinline telecaster without busting the bank. Cabronita seems like the only white blonde model that isn't crazy expensive, but that leaves me with trying to mod it to a '69 pickup config (or maybe I'd go humbucker neck and single coil bridge). So that leaves worrying about the neck and humbucker routes.

Neck - any concern putting a single coil there? Pickguard should cover everything up? Any extra routing (if the Carbronita pickup is placed "higher" or "lower" than a standard single coil)?

Humbucker - for the bridge, I just want to be able to put 3 brass saddles. Is there a bridge that would fit without changing holes/leaving holes showing but has the 3 brass saddles (like in a 50s telecaster)? I'm guessing routing probably isn't a problem - even if I had to route more I think the bridge would cover it up, right?

Otherwise, anybody think of a good way to get a vintage/white blonde thine telecaster?

14. Duostang

Duostang TDPRI Member

I have T-Armonds on my cab and it’s the best thing next to tele pickups. Has a vintage sound of the d’armonds too. Jones nailed that one.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2020
  15. ruger9

Well I've had T-90s in my thinline Cab for a few years now, and they are great, but I have a set of T-Armonds sitting here waiting for install, if I can ever find the time...

16. nosuch

nosuch Friend of Leo's

Honestly I'd just sell the cabronita, take the money and find a nice tele. Converting the cabronita will be a lot of money and effort – and destroy the value completely IMHO.

17. ruger9

This thread is a little old.... I'm not coverting anything. I love the guitar, so I now have a set of TVJ T-Armonds to install. After that, for something completely different, I may get a set of Rio Grande BBQ Trons for it (they sound more like PAFs than traditional filtertrons). But I love the neck on this thing- this guitar isn't going anywhere, and I'm not having it up either. Just have to find the right pickups for it.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2020
  18. nosuch

nosuch Friend of Leo's

I'm with you. I made myself a cabronita partscaster with TV-Jones powertrons – It sounds good but compared to my single coil teles it pales. I took it out for a rockabilly gig last year and used it when I broke a string on my tele – and immediately wished I'd rather brought just another tele for a backup.

ruger9 likes this.
  19. ruger9

Yes! That tele single coil PUNCH! The T-90s are great, and they are punchy, but I think the bar magnets just don't have the.... immediacy.... or something.... of rod magnent pickups.... hoping the T-Armonds sound like a FAT single coil tele.

And if they don't, I'll just change my expectations entirely, and and try the Rios, to see if I can get a hum bucking tele with a Gibson flavor (which is what I was trying to do with the T-90s: get a Les Paul Junior flavor... it worked, and they were fun for awhile, but I'm over it now LOL)

What I REALLY want is the old WRHB sound like Tab Benoit... but that would require routing.... would really rather not. I asked the Creamery guy if he could make a Filtetron-sized pickup that sounded like a WRHB, and he said no, it's not possible due to the bobbin size and lack of space in the cover for the extra windings...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.