Cables 2020.....79 cable shootout.....The results are shocking......

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by The-Kid, Jan 23, 2020.

1. The-Kid

The-Kid Tele-Meister

MXR scores top
    [​IMG]
    MXR again shy of top ten in Diffusiom Suddenes Noise test.
    [​IMG]
    Mxr Diffusion Suddenes Noise test.
    [​IMG]
    Mechanical noise test, cables hit with fan...again MXR.
    [​IMG]
    And the stone test so there is no bias on my part but again not many are going to purposefully groundloop and purpossful plug into their fx or amps backwards.....so not a real world scenerio and a test for Sss's and giggle
    [​IMG]

So am on hunt for some good cables.

Okay okay so I was OCDing on cables and was going to get Dimarzio or Mogami Platinum but then saw this video and testing done on cables.

Rockboard came on top, followed by Klotz then Mooer and then MXR these were the top 4. All had super low PF and for the most part minus the Klotz super affordable. But thats not the whole story so dont just buy bases of capacitance.

Noise is to be measured, noise that will be found in reap world scenerios through amp gain or pedal hiss or mechanical noise as when the cables are moved or hit.

MXR do show as one of the lowest noise cables aside from super low capcitance given normal test under heavy gain on the video as opposed to the impractical Stone test. The regular noise test shows that it is indeed one of the quitest on the market as well as being super low capacitance. Just shy of being on the top ten lowest noise cables

Damn all the expensive cables are super high capacitance and some of the more affordable ones are much lower in Capacitance. Super quite too. It doesnt make sense!.?!?!?!?!?.!

I already have MXR patch cables and plan on just going full MXR guitar cables now vs Dimarzio or Mogami.

Was going to drop some cash on Dimarzios given their capacitance against Mogami.....but was so surprised at this test that Ima go full MXR now.

Sounds good, patch cables from MXR have lasted me a year and just called MXR and they said they use the same cable for all their cables and that the Pro series actually have more shielding vs the patch cables so they should be lower on paper as well capacitance wise.

Going MXR here as they are a good product and made in America here in Califonia, which I appreciate and given the 3-5 pf difference between it and the rest, hardly any difference at all given the already super low capacitance....super low noise. ......Damn MXR is where its at. Out of the top 4 that have lowest capacitance for great price, great quality, low capacitance, low noise.....passes all test short of the small stone test but that one is an inpractical feedback test the other two are relevant under normal heavy gain or clean conditions.

Super surprised.

There are some other nice cables on the market and I would invite anyone to go ahead and check out the top 13 cables that made it but for me MXR was the best choice because it passed all the real world scenerios. Only one it didnt pass was the Stone test which puts cables under inpractical condition no one here or anywhere will attempt, ground feedback loop going into your fx backwards. Does super good were it matters. Heres the results and test.

emisilly and Alamo like this.
  2. The-Kid

The-Kid Tele-Meister

My own list. The-Kids The REALBest Cables 2020

1. Providence:
    Made in Japan and well. These made it on the the top a total of 4 time!!!!! Super good quality and are top rated. You actually get your moneys worth here. If your really after compromise get these no questions asked. Very very high quality cable here and top dollar for a reason

[​IMG]

2. Earnie Ball :Many dudes like these Ive used these when I was younger. My friends like them and others here on the forum appreciated these as well and I really feel its a super underated well constructed cable made here in America, California. It places here because it made at home and competes well with many cables costing 5 or ten times as much and even demolishes many TGP Favriotes. Proudly made in Coachella California.
    [​IMG]

3. Mooer: scored second on the list. Very affordable. Low cost and by no means a cheap cable. Many will find disgust when I recomend these over Mogami, EBS, Lava etc etc but this gets 3rd place because its just that and proves a point. Its low cost, Made in China, and well even beats industry leaders such as Monster, Mogami, and Dimarzio. Remember if you get these get their highest tier possible as these will be the best ones they provide.

[​IMG]

4. Ibanez : This one made it not one, not twice....But three times short one behind Providence on the chart of Max best cables. These are really flying under the radar are super flexible and provide many a good sounding cable at good prices and super low noise too. Made in Japan and proud of it.

[​IMG]

5. MXR: Super durable from my experience and sound super good. Low cost good quality, low noise. Many of the same things that I said of Earnie Ball can be said here but yeah. Ive said enough good things about this one. This one didnt make it to top ten but otherwise did damn good were test mattered. Low noise, low capacitance. This is the one I personally use so there is no bias it is at the bottom of my top five but I highly recommend these as much as the other four I mentioned. Doesnt hurt the wallet either. Very good quality regardless and still test better than industry leader Mogami Platinum in lower noise and Gold in lower capacitance based of third party test from a trusted forum member. This cable would be very well suited and more than enough to meet anyones cables need. Brought to you by the folks at MXR/Dunlop, you know its for the players at mind and good quality too.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 7, 2020
    emisilly likes this.
  3. The-Kid

The-Kid Tele-Meister

Okay this is a big one but pretty much.
    After wanting to get some cables and spending a lot of time and research I have come to the conclusion that a lot of what players think of as "good cables" and what corporations such as Guitar World feeds us may be misleading.

Pretty much what they rate as the "Best Cable" at the top.....Mogami.....Placed dead last on the test.

https://www.guitarworld.com/gear/be...cables-for-electric-acoustic-and-bass-guitars

After much research and much scrutiny on other forums well I have found that some of the most affordable cables except for a few exceptions are much better options than cables costing 5 or 10 times as much.

Needless to say this thread is about keeping awareness of the basic......the cable and if your out there shoping for some or feel the need to look for a better one always worry about 2 things here. Low capacitance and low noise. Low capacitance isnt always the best but its been regarded by most as a measure of a cables quality. Again not always desired but generally low capacitance in a cable equals a good cable.

Second thing to watch for is Cable noise. Mechanical from movement causing pops and hisses or just pure noise from real world scenerios.

These two things are something to watch based on this test done by Max doing a 79 cable shoot out measuring Capaciatacne and various levels noise floor I have made out that the stuff Guitar World is feeding us regarding what they say are the "Best Cables" and what many consider as internet favriotes scored on the bottom of the list of Max's cable shoot out.

I will provide a link to the video bellow of the test.

But pretty much Mogami Platinum and Mogami Gold. Cables highly considered by Guitar World Magazine score on the bottom of the list along with other internet favriotes.

Bellow a copy and paste of the findings and why I chose MXR even though it didnt make it to the top. It still performs well, cost is nice for the wallet and again out performs Platinum on capacitance in the test and noise levels.

A fellow forum member at another forum also conducted test of the MXR and its capacitance was on average lower than Mogami Gold and well the test proves its a quiter cable than Mogami Platinum so for me. There may be better cables but MXR wins for being well rounded and beint extremely good quality.

Also rugged construction as the cables have lasted me much longer than Hosa, Strukture or even Planet Waves gold tips.

Out of all the cables on the test I choose MXR as it was the most well rounded even though it didnt make it on the top 13. The reason I choose MXR is its Made in America and out performs under the test and competes against cables costing 10 times as much in this case the industry leader Mogami.

This is my choice for reasons posted below but I will make a definitive list of cables that are top 5 of which MXR will be included in the ranking.

My findings below. MXR scores top on all test that matter for real world scenerios in all cases short of the stone test but thats not important as I will explain later as none of the cables that made it to the top were judged by the stone test either.

Several of the cables that were least expected to be good made it to the top.

Again many internet faves and the Guitar World faves ranked at the bottom.

[​IMG]
    MXR low noise just shy of making it to the top. Noise floor in real world scenerio
    [​IMG]
    MXR Diffusion Noise test result. Noise floor
    [​IMG]
    Mecahnical Noise test. Hissing popping etc MXR at the top again.
    [​IMG]

Finally stone test. Again not a factor because its not a real world Scenerio incorporating a groundloop feedback. Not included in final decision making on my Consideration or Maxs test.

[​IMG]

Video and results of the top 13 cables to choose and top cables to avoid.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Alamo likes this.
  4. artdecade

artdecade Poster Extraordinaire

What is this?

5. Alamo

Alamo Doctor of Teleocity

Watch the Youtube video in post #1. it's the most tech nerdy cable test about patch cables I've ever seen.
    makes me look at my pedal board cables even more skeptical.
    in fact I just replaced one noisy short flat cable with a solderless one.
    now there's peace in the valley...or on the pedalboard.

The-Kid likes this.
  6. The-Kid

The-Kid Tele-Meister

Yes this. Aside from capacitance noise is a huge factor.

What cables are you using?

Hahhaa

But yeah.

Alamo likes this.
  7. Alamo

The noisy one was a short Harley Benton flat cable FPC-10, just like in the vid.
    I replaced it with a ...wait for it.....Harley Benton solder free DIY cable. no noise anymore - good solid quality

[​IMG]

The-Kid likes this.
  8. The-Kid

The-Kid Tele-Meister

Thats funny. Yeah the cable you mentioned or a similar one scored on the bottom of Max list and this is no coincidence here as you experienced high noise.

[​IMG]

Leads me to believe that the cable itself isnt suspect as you made your own and made them better using the same wire but its all about how you solder or connect final termination to jacks and wire.

Good insight and cheers. Kind of confirms some of these findings.

Thanks again for the insight.

9. graybeard65

graybeard65 Tele-Meister

My favorite cable is an Intex - durable, well made, and robust - I like mine a lot...BUT...by far one of the worst customer service experiences in my life was dealing with the Intex fellow.

Pro Cables And Sound makes fantastic cables, and the price is competitive, and the service is exceptional.

I’m way more interested in service and integrity than cable marketing hype

The-Kid likes this.
  10. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

I'm equal parts impressed and bemused by this.

Bikersluggo and emisilly like this.
  11. NWinther

NWinther Tele-Afflicted

Any cool music coming out of all that?

12. The-Kid

The-Kid Tele-Meister

Yeah this is the point of the thread. Dont fall marketing hype. Not a Corporations, not a brands, not even mine.

Whatever cable you find make sure you like the company and their service too.

When you say customer service matters I know what that means and any company that provides a player with excellent customer service is great by my book so heres a shout out to PRO CABLES N SOUND.

I will have to check them out sometime and others should too. They sound cool and it seems youve had a great experience with them.

Heres a link to their site and an exert for others to read. I think they are cool too and I bet they are very high quality and probably better than some of the cables on my list never mind Mogami, EBS and other internet favriotes that made it on the bottom of the list.

Maxxx XP Full-range instrument cable made with 100% U.S.A. parts and labor! Hand built in our custom shop with G&H 1/4" Black and Gold plugs. This is a great sounding cable for bass players and guitar players.

http://procablesnsound.com/items/in...ent-cable-60118-A-detail.htm?wr=1#star-rating

[​IMG]

13. The-Kid

The-Kid Tele-Meister

Also regarding customer service and my experience.

Dealing with MXR IME, that goes a long way. Ive had pedals Ive fried myself using the wrong adapter fixed by them free of charge in the past. Ive had extensive talks with the tech guys sometimes over minutia of buffer vs true bypass. They have sent me free swag in the past just for asking "you guys make strings right, can I sample some of those Dunlops"..."no problem well send you a pack if we have any spare". Didnt like the strings and still use Fenders but damn thats good customer service above and beyond anything Ive ever had.

Like aside from its good performance this is why MXR made it to the top of the list for me personally. Like everytime Ive had a real question or concern or no matter how dumb I may be in my questions and confrontation, they have been there.

Even when I fried my new CAE MXR wah pedal they fixed it for me free of charge and free shiping back. That means alot to me. They didnt have to do that and they did. So I did recomend Providence, Earnie Ball, Mooer, Ibanez as better cables than MXR but I given their service and overall quality of them the choice was simple for me.

The Cable is well rounded and has lower capacitance and lower noise than industry leader Mogami Gold or Platinum and cost less too. Its good enough for me along with excellent service.

Again there are other cables here I chose on the top 5 and any I imagine have excellent customer service and are just as good as MXR on that part. They all provide lifetime warranty, they all rate very well on the test and they all will be much appreciated by anyone rig.

Ibanez I feel is the mega underdog. I didnt even know they made cables!?!?!

And also who the hell would of thought Mooer was going to make it to the top. This one was most shocking of all.

But again I stress any of these cables here in a random hat draw I chose as top 5 I feel would do better for most players than the stuff Guitar World has been recomending for years and years.

Providence

Earnie Ball

Mooer

Ibanez

MXR

Whatch out for these if youe looking at top cables especially Providence being the top choice. But any of these cables would meer most players needs and you cant go wrong with any of these I feel.

Cheers and good tone hunting.

14. The-Kid

The-Kid Tele-Meister

Listen me too.

Like super impressed so far with these I don't mean to come off as a tone connoisseur. But I have to say these cables are Probably the best thing I've ever done ever for my tone.

Okay so I have a Dimarzio here too right. It got a pretty low rating when you add up all its results. And while its not as noisy as the video makes it seem to be. The tone goes to the MXR here all day.

I kind of felt bad today because I asked for a cable back from my Jazz Proffesor that I gave him the day before.

I didnt really do extensive testing before I gave the cable to my Proffesor as a gift. Its gold so it kind of symbolises how important the class is for me. In this case the Gold Dimarzio.

I asked for it back to play late night and do some extensive testing.....the old fashion way. With my ears.

So after playing here for 2 hours straight this is what I found. I used each MXR and Dimarzio as the main guitar cable. The rest of the line being pure MXR.

While the Dimarzio functions well and it is quite I did notice a bit more hum than the MXR and going back and forth I mean to really test it out I really thought the Dimarzio was dull and lacking bass, stiffer and darker, lacking highs, lacking air, lacking tracking, just lacking in every way.

Not only did it score lower on test in noise and capacitance but its also a Guitat World Favriote and much of what the test finds here is true. The super high capacitance makes it really warm yes but also dull and lacking in tracing, attack and articulation as well as solid bass and air.

The MXR by comparison was a little nicer in all respects nicer highs. Better tracing, deeper lows, nicer pinching when squeling, not brighter but more articulated is more accurate and much higher note definition and note seperation all around.

People be looking for pedal after pedal for good tone. Damn think about your cables here guys it makes a big big big difference.

I just had to test them as if even Dimarzio did score low on the test I would have gone and spent more money on a whole set of Dimarzios.

In the paper and data test is a good guideline yes but we all agree in the end the ear is the one that makes the final decision and my ear says......YES!

Mega godly tone, mega solid bass, super tight lows, superb highs, excellent crunch, spanky cleans, buttery licks, smooth picking, clear tracing, beuitiful attack and definition.

I have to say the numbers dont lie. Its just a nice cable guys I really mean it.

I mean I am going to try others guys. I will be doing an extensive sound test of the other cables on my top 5 at some point but after hearing this and well searching and searching and searching for ever. I am in love with these MXR cables.

I highly recomend these guys.

Highly recommend these and any of the other 5 cables mentioned.

If you have a cable favriote or one of these top dollar cables.....Dimarzio.....Mogami......EBS.....etc etc....

Do yourself a favor and get a whole set of new cables of Mooer, get a whole set of Earnie Ball Cables maybe or why not get a whole set of Ibanez Cables chances are your going to hear the difference.

Your ears, your fingers, your speaker, your strings, your guitar and amp will appreciate it trust me.

Going back and forth. Its been good times with the Dimarzio. Almost feel sad saying goof bye. But Ive never had such a big smile on my face for a while until now.

The cables matter guys and well weve been misguided for sometime. This was my journey regarding cables. Its gotten me this far. I sure took it for granted but it really makes all the difference guys.

Dont take my word for it.

Great thing about most of these cables is they are affordable and if you have Mogami money, Klotz, EBS getting a full set if Earnie Balls Cables, Ibanez or MXRs are not going to set you back much.

My whole set for patches and all cost 70-80 bucks I used two 10 foots and 7 patches. Going Mogami Platinum would have cost me 550$. Dimarzio about 250$.

Either way super glad I came across this video and even though the scrutiny has been super rough and I am kind of drained by it I feel a lot of good has been done here ......not just for my rig but for old players and new players and the ones yet to be waiting in the future.

We really overlook cables guys and weve been blindly following tradition for years. For the sake of progress and the benefit of all players I feel its time we break some of these traditions.

Of course traditions are important and I will never completely abandone all of them. But there comes a time when it time to change not despite of tradition but to keep it alive and with that well thanks all for being here and anyone who happens to read this thread.

Hope it helps.

Unless your prepared to drop money on Providence and some of you very damn will after reading this :)

Most of us will be more than satisfied with any of the the other top 5 choices.

I know I am!!!!

Das Ist Gut!!!

15. The-Kid

The-Kid Tele-Meister

Comparison. Both are built super solid the MXR and the MXR has a bit nicer protection on the inside too going all the way to the jack.

Dimario has been nice and people are impressed by the fact that I have a gold cable and while thats cool the novelty quickly fades when you actually compare by ear. Youve been good to me Dimarzio but its time to change.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Alamo likes this.
  16. The-Kid

The-Kid Tele-Meister

Also to the guys using Live Wires.
    I have one and tested of ear it was better than Dimarzio too. And as said it probably rates better for low noise and capacitance if tested than either Mogami or Dimarzio.

Damn even the Livewire Advangtage and its like 15 years old. It was really good and blew me way but I really like the MXR over all and it just sounds so damn clean but I can see love for the live wire and I will use it every once in a while.

The Dimarzio for sure is toast though. It just didnt sound good and I am embarased for ever recomending them or falling for the marketing hype.

Livewires....good stuff!!!!

Das ist Gut!!!

17. Alamo

Maybe both, but actually I suspect the flat cable is the culprit that made the noise.
    the new one is a round cable with rock solid metal plugs.

The-Kid likes this.
  18. The-Kid

The-Kid Tele-Meister

Yes Flat Cables are all the rage with the young boys.....

Trust me I know this. But the flat cables actually were some of the noisiest in all of the test. Some scored mega low capacitance such as Rockboard for example but were so damn noisy they were practicaly unusable for real stage use. EBS too. Very popular. Noisy as hell.

Yes you can fit more pedals on a board....

But is it really worth all that noise?!?!

I really feel low noise is important and we have guys worried about realestate on their board and how big it is or how many they can fit on their board.

IMO Priorities are backwards here.

Alamo likes this.
  19. Alamo

i bought a set of flat cables when they where a "new thing" to tidy up my pedalboard. there was no list of noisyness and capacitance.
    so kudos to Max who went through hours on end for that test. who can invest time like that?
    I'd rather listen to music than to cables. I'm a happy taker for the test results though.

the realestate on my gigging board surely is limited and the DIY kit seems to be a good alternative for tight spaces.
    I'll keep listening now.

IMG_20191106_205513-001.jpg

The-Kid likes this.
  20. SecretSquirrel

SecretSquirrel Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

I just bought a bunch of the "Gig Tuff" patch cables with the small, flat-ish connectors. I hope they're good!

The-Kid likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.