Cabinet speaker orientation question...

Discussion in 'Amp Tech Center' started by tyler_rose2891, Jan 21, 2020.

1. tyler_rose2891

tyler_rose2891 TDPRI Member

My apologies if this comes off as a dumb question but I’m about to re-cab my Blues Junior in one of the snazzy Mojotone Lacquered Tweed cabs. When I go to move the speaker over, I was curious whether the orientation of the speaker within the cabinet would make a difference or are amplifier speakers unidirectional? What I mean is would there be any difference with the speaker label being right side up versus having it turned sideways or upside down?

2. Mark the Moose

Mark the Moose Tele-Holic

There’s no functional difference. I’ve always been a little persnickety about the label being right side up, but it’s probably good to rotate it occasionally to help the voice coil wear evenly. Smarter people than I might direct you otherwise.

3. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Poster Extraordinaire

I'm thinking no. The speaker is circular and can't see what direction the sticker on its back is pointing.

4. tyler_rose2891

Thanks kindly. I just didn’t want to harm some kind of electronic do-dad inside the speaker because I missed some tiny warning somewhere along the lines of “Speaker installed sideways will cause a cataclysmic apocalypse and reversal of the earth’s gravitational pull.” It happens to me every time

kookaburra likes this.
  5. Deebs3

Deebs3 Tele-Meister

i think the only thing to make sure is put it in the position that allows the cable to connect easily without getting in the way of any other sh#t.

Wally, Vibrolux59, chipwich and 2 others like this.
  6. Viejo

Viejo Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

No problem with how a speaker is oriented.You'll hear a difference from putting the speakers in in a pine cab that vibrates instead of the sawdust and glue dead sounding MDF cabinet it came in originally.

nojazzhere likes this.
  7. rolandson

rolandson Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

The electrons (or their friends the sound waves) don't care. They just go about their business without concern over things like up and down or right and left or spin or any of that...

They leave that to their little brothers and sisters.

8. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

I agree that there should be no issue with how the speaker is "rotated". Deebs3 mentioned the wires connecting amp to speaker, that's the only consideration.
    As far as cabinet material.....my Blues Junior III came in a "factory option" Birch Ply cabinet....NO particle board!

Vibrolux59 likes this.
  9. Vibrolux59

Vibrolux59 Tele-Meister

Yep, the early Blues Juniors were Baltic Birch ply. Had a tweed green board for years.

nojazzhere and corliss1 like this.
  10. tyler_rose2891

Admittedly I’m not expecting a big jump in sound quality or maybe none at all for that matter with the new cabinet but it is a proper pine cab with 1/4” finger joints, bigger than the stock cab, and it’s got that oh so beautiful lacquered tweed. I loves me some Tweed.

11. Old Deaf Roadie

Old Deaf Roadie Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

The only time it matters is if the speaker leads don't reach the lugs, then simply turn it until it does!

nojazzhere likes this.
  12. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

No difference. But watch for interference with your amp , transformers etc. Sometimes rotating the speaker will solve this interference issue.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.