Cabinet / Speaker for home

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by tacomamc, May 30, 2021.

1. tacomamc

tacomamc Tele-Afflicted

Hi everyone! My current set up for home playing is an Orange Terror Stamp into a cabinet I made. The cabinet is well made (if I may say so myself). It is partially open in back and the dimensions are 17.5" high x 11" deep x 26" wide. I have a single 12" speaker in it (Warehouse Guitar Speaker Veteran 30). It is a bit boomy on the neck pickup of my Semi hollow prs. I think I want a smaller cabinet, and possibly a smaller speaker. I don't feel like building another cab at the moment. Do you think that it is the size of the cabinet, or the fact that it's partially open is the cause for the boominess? If so, what in your opinion is the preferred size cabinet for a home player?

2. dan40

dan40 Friend of Leo's

Is the cab in a corner or sitting directly on the floor? Both of these situations can cause a cab to sound a bit bassier.

JustABluesGuy likes this.
  3. tacomamc

tacomamc Tele-Afflicted

Right now I have it against a wall which helps some.

4. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

The Veteran 30 is their Greenback? I'd try sealing the cabinet back. When you run treble too high it can often cause bassy harshness. It's counter intuitive but try winding the tone contour left.

dogmeat likes this.
  5. kbold

kbold Friend of Leo's

Yes, that was my first thought: off the floor and not in a corner.

I think using an equaliser pedal and/or modifying your guitar to suit will be effective and far cheaper options.

6. tacomamc

tacomamc Tele-Afflicted

I can make a piece to seal the back, thats pretty easy. I'll try that. Is there a speaker that's better suited for the orange amp? I may end up getting the tiny terror later.... I've had it previously and liked it, just thought I'd see how small if a rig I could get away with and still like the tone.

7. tacomamc

tacomamc Tele-Afflicted

I'll try it raised up too. It has rubber feet, and it's on a carpet currently. How high up does it need to get, as high as a chair seat?

8. Lowerleftcoast

Lowerleftcoast Friend of Leo's

Up on a chair should work. Anything to keep the bass from coupling with the floor or walls.
    Iirc their Retro 30 is voiced similar to a Celestion V30 but has more bass. The Veteran 30 is less harsh in the upper mids but still in the V30 camp. It may work well with a cranked Orange.

Found this from WGS:
    "The 12” Veteran 30™ speaker from WGS is tonally superior to Celestion's™ Vintage 30™ speaker. The tonal improvement is in the upper-mids. The Veteran 30™ speaker has smoothed out the upper-mid "spike" notorious in the Vintage 30™ speaker."

9. kbold

kbold Friend of Leo's

That will do it. Preferably a hard chair (e.g. dining chair), as opposed to a lounge chair.

10. 2L man

2L man Tele-Holic

My favorite is Jensen P10R-F in open back cab. Its sensitivity is very low only 92,5db so I can drive amp harder without getting too loud but it also colors sound very lovely musical way using lower amp power than any other of my loudspeakers.

11. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I'm a fan of Vox cabs.

I have the original Night Train cab, 12" speaker, smaller than the later ones so not as much bass. I don't have the Greenback in it anymore because I didn't like it that much in there and put it in another cab.

Also have the Lil' Night Train 10" cab, quite good.

But I would say the best for home is the 8" Vox cab (current manufacture). It has a lot of low end for such a small speaker, but not too much and it's considerably less loud.

I don't own a Vox amp. I have run a Micro Terror through them. The 12" didn't have enough bass, I used to run it in conjunction with a bassier 12". Although that isn't the case with an all tube amp, in comparison the Micro Terror has very tight bass. That may not be the case with the Terror Stamp, I have no idea.

12. guitarmikey

guitarmikey Tele-Afflicted

For me works a Ragin' Cajun (10") in a DIY pine cab.
    Happy with!

Attached Files:

13. Dukex

Dukex Tele-Afflicted

Good advice above. Close the back. Get it off the floor. In addition, getting it away from the wall some may help.

I definitely don't think the cab is too big.

14. tacomamc

tacomamc Tele-Afflicted

Dios ideas, thanks guys. I think I'll seal up the back first, then maybe downsize.... Maybe

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.