Cabinet for new amp

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Raywilliamsjr, Mar 18, 2018.

1. Raywilliamsjr

Raywilliamsjr NEW MEMBER!

Folks...for the last several months been playing a Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster. Love the amp. Goes from Fender/Vox low gain to Marshall high gain in 4 channels. 50/100 watt. I have a used Hartke 4x10 and a converted Fender Frontman amp with 2x12 Jensens. Want to build a custom cab and I am considering a 1x10 with a 1x12 in the same cabinet. Anyone have experience with this combo? I am looking at pairing a 12" that captures the low end extremely well and a 10" to provide a shimmer to the mids and top end. Any thoughts or ideas.

2. Milspec

Milspec Friend of Leo's

Nothing wrong with that idea at all, many have done it that way. I purchased a used pine one like that years ago in fact. The owner wasn't an audiophile as much as he had a tight budget and 2 mismatched speakers on his shelf. Unfortunately, the 10" was blown because it was way under-powered for his amp so I never found out the benefits of building one set up like that as I replaced the baffle for 2x12.

Check out JDesign Cabinets for ideas, he has some set up like that on sale.

3. Tomm Williams

Tomm Williams Tele-Afflicted

image.jpeg The center amp in this photo is a 60's era Hofner Verstarker 60 with a reproduction cab built by J Design. It houses a G12h and the #4 G10 to ever come off the assembly line. Jeff suggested this combo and it sounds outstanding.

Milspec likes this.
  4. corliss1

corliss1 Friend of Leo's

A lot of older, more off-brand amps (Magnatone, Gretsch) used weird speaker setups. 1 12" and one 4x9 oval, one 12 and one 6, stuff like that. So do it, see what happens.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.