1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Cabinet construction

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by ReverendRevolver, Feb 26, 2021.

1. CapnCrunch

CapnCrunch Friend of Leo's

I've made cabs out of true Baltic Birch, i.e. thick veneers and about 11 plys all of which are birch. I've made cabs out birch and oak veneer ply also, i.e. thin veneers with inner plys made out of soft wood with maybe 7 plys. No question the Baltic Birch is stiffer and definitely much heavier. That said, I've made great sounding cabs out of both Baltic Birch and regular big box plywood. In a blind fold test, I doubt the average musician would be able to pick them apart.

Lowerleftcoast likes this.
  2. nedorama

nedorama Tele-Meister

Curious on the inverted V shape for your speakers - there's the Watkins design where they are splayed outward, but with the speakers facing in, wondering if comb filtering is an issue?

3. Lowerleftcoast

Lowerleftcoast Friend of Leo's

I don't have sensitive enough equipment to measure the speaker/cabinet intricacies, so I am not in the know to answer specifically.

In a more general sense, the critical ears of the band mates and I have not heard any issues with this cabinet. I read that a similar design* provides a noticeable wider throw of sound on stage, but that is not obvious to those of us listening to this cabinet on the stage. Listening from the audience perspective, this cabinet does not display a noticeable beam like a standard cabinet, which I think is a good thing. The cabinet is generally on a stand which aims it above the audience, so the lack of beaming is not consequential for my use most of the time.

*The similar design was a convertible open/closed back without the contour inner panels. It was not a floating baffle design. Iow... apples to oranges.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2021
  4. pfarrell

pfarrell TDPRI Member

3/4" "Russian" ply (18mm) is what the vendors call it in the NYC surrounding zones... 15ply Baltic Birch is what I've always called it. Void free (usually). One can also get cabinet grade 5-ply—that's void free, a bit stiffer—and lighter too—usually maple faced. Dado joints and in my builds so far the Fender style front panels top and bottom to attach the speaker baffle make a seriously strong box with just glue and zero fasterners. Add to that the Tolex and one can get away with not a lot. I've been using 1/2" multiply—the half inch version of "Russian" ply for the baffles. Will try with 3/4 next to see/hear anything based on some of the comments here....My amps sound incredible to me...

ReverendRevolver likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.