Cab question for my 1 watt tube amp (I want to play quietly)

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Clickfiend, Jun 16, 2021.

1. Clickfiend

Clickfiend TDPRI Member

I just ordered a Blackstar HT-1RH 1 watt tube amp head for my practice space. My question is, what is the best cab/speaker config for playing quietly while maintaining full bodied sound? Do smaller speakers react better to low volume? Would I have to push a larger speaker harder to get it to sound good? I’m currently looking at the Blackstar HT-112OC 1x12 cab, but I’m worried that I’ll end up having to play it loud to open it up. I don’t really enjoy playing through headphones if I can avoid it. This will be my first time using a head+cab.

2. gridlock

gridlock Poster Extraordinaire

The only one watt amp that I owned was a 50th Anniversary Marshall JMP-1 Head. I ran it through a Greenback loaded Marshall 4x12 cab and it sounded great. I used it mainly on the .1 watt setting and volume was perfect for my situation.

If the Blackstar was my amp, I would start with a 10” or 12” speaker cab loaded with a Celestion. I’m not fond of speakers smaller than 10 inches.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2021
    Clickfiend and northernguitar like this.
  3. corliss1

corliss1 Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

If you're willing to do some speaker homework, you don't really care about watts, you care about efficiency. A speaker that is less efficient (maybe 97-98dB) will be quieter at the same amp setting than a speaker that is more efficient (maybe 101-103dB). That can significantly help to control volume.

Clickfiend and PhredE like this.
  4. dan40

dan40 Friend of Leo's

Even the 1 watt Blackstar with it's 12" cab will be quite loud when you open up the amp a bit. Lower sensitivity speakers will help a tiny bit. I do tend to prefer a 10" speaker when I'm forced to play very quietly but it took a bit of experimenting to find one that sounded good at lower volumes.

Clickfiend likes this.
  5. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

My 2watt Fender Greta sounds great through a 10” home built cab.

Clickfiend and northernguitar like this.
  6. stormsedge

stormsedge Friend of Leo's

I have 3 different 1x12s, a 2x8, and a 1x8...all work well with a 1 watt amp.
    I have a 2x12 on a 6w amp with an attenuator...it also sounds good with the attenuator rolled way down and the amp cooking (but is probably louder than you want;)).

PhredE likes this.
  7. wrathfuldeity

wrathfuldeity Tele-Afflicted

Clickfiend likes this.
  8. 2L man

2L man Tele-Holic

I often use Jensen P10R-F for my home playing. Its sensitivity is only 92,5db but it also color the sound musically using very low power. Its frequency response has a scoop but obviously it is good for low volume?

If you need a 12" one good sounding low sensitivity 94db low cost speaker is WGS G12Q. Search it in YouTube and when you see a Les Paul you hear its distorted sound and when a Tele you hear cleans.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2021
  9. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

It depends how loud you want to be. If you want very quiet, the Vox 8" is not as loud and has pretty good bass because it's pretty deep, but it does sound different than a 12".

You might want to bring your head and try out some cabs in a music store.

10. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

You will not get "full bodied" sound from a speaker cabinet playing quietly because of how human hearing works; mids and bass drop off quickly as volume goes down.

Headphones, however, do not suffer from this low-volume problem because of close proximity of the sound source to the eardrum.

11. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Poster Extraordinaire

I built a cabinet using an old outdoor speaker cabinet I bought at a thrift store with an Eminence 620H 6.5" speaker for use with my Hotone Nano Heads. It sounds good, although not as good as a 12" cabinet, and my wife doesn't complain that she can't hear Really Drunk Housewives on the TV when I'm playing.

PhredE likes this.
  12. JustABluesGuy

JustABluesGuy Friend of Leo's

I have a two watt tube amp that I use with an Eminence Reignmaker speaker. It’s efficiency can be adjusted from 92.5 to 98.7.

When I want some crunch, I just adjust it down. It works great for my needs, like playing with an unamplified acoustic, or practicing while watching TV.

13. Clickfiend

Clickfiend TDPRI Member

That’s a great idea! Can’t believe I didn’t think of that.

14. Clickfiend

Clickfiend TDPRI Member

That makes sense. I wonder if I could run through an eq pedal and tailor the sound to the volume.

15. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

That's pretty much what the Loudness switch (popular on stereo systems in the 80s and 90s) did: it reconfigured the EQ to a "mid-scoop" profile, because at low volumes, human hearing is preferential to mids and upper mids. Scooping them out brings up lows and highs in relation to the mids content. Metal guitarists have adopted this sound for playing all the time :eek:

This is what scooped mids look like on an EQ:

[​IMG]

16. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

Mine is plugged into a Carvin 2 x 12. It sounds fantastic and full.

[​IMG]

17. Jay Jernigan

Jay Jernigan Tele-Afflicted

If you are planning to use it to record, a small (6 or 8") speaker in a closed cab is great, but to fill your head, think big.

18. jimgchord

jimgchord Tele-Afflicted

Something inefficient. Weber sig series with alnico mag would be a good economical choice.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.