Cab Identification

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Intubator, Jun 2, 2020.

1. Intubator

Intubator Tele-Holic

Bawlmer, MD- Home of the "Mayor Shuffle"...
    Hey folks, just wondering if anyone knows what amp this cab was part of? It's all solid pine, finger jointed with an ostrich(?) skin style pattern on the tolex. It currently has a 15" Altec speaker in it from '71, not sure if the speaker is original to the cab or not. Might try to find a correct chassis for it and get it back to original if it's worth the journey. Just picked it up today. Here's some pics:

20200602_154910_resized_1.jpg

20200602_192828_resized.jpg

20200602_193025_resized.jpg

20200602_192949_resized.jpg

2. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

What are the dimensions? Looking at the top panel on the inside of the ca/, do you see five holes....two in the center for a handle and three for a chassis?? Two of those chassis holes will be on the right side looking from the front of the cab and one will be to the left side? If you see those holes, I might suspect a Fender Tweed Pro. Also, do you see glue and/or paper remnants of a tube chart on a side panel...inside?

3. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Looks a bit tall for a Pro to me. Also only has one wide panel at the top. My guess is it might be a modded cab someone did to fit a tweed style chassis? Recovered it. Handle on the side indicates they cut the chassis rectangle out of the side of a cab that was meant to sit the other way..

4. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Okay....I took a closer look. The baffleboard is angled in the manner that Gibson used. Oddball cab as it sits no matter what.

Intubator likes this.
  5. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

It's not this, but this is the kind of brand I would expect this to be, certainly not Fender or Gibson.
    [​IMG]

Here's a Sano with the "cross".
    [​IMG]

uriah1 and Intubator like this.
  6. Intubator

Intubator Tele-Holic

Yeah, its a bit odd. Well built though, the pine is about 3/4" and the joints are very well done and solid. I'm going to clean it up and maybe think about putting a 5E5A or something similar if i can't eventually figure out what originally went into it. There is no ID anywhere inside either but I did find a very small torn piece of a metallic label with no print on it... Just to note, that speaker must weigh about 25lbs and the cab is very light in comparison.

7. Intubator

Intubator Tele-Holic

Well it appears the mystery is solved. After some research looks like its a mid to late 60's Harmony H420 Bass amp. Here's some pics of originals. All the pics I've seen have them with Jensen C15N's.

H420_bass_07.jpg

H420_bass_08.jpg

H420_bass_09.jpg

H420_bass_10.jpg

H420_bass_12.jpg

Wally, tubegeek and Milspec like this.
  8. tubegeek

tubegeek Tele-Afflicted

9. Intubator

Intubator Tele-Holic

Thanks tubegeek. DuckDuckGo, ebay and reverb search, started with Sivertone, Univox, Airline, Valco, National, finally Harmony. I saw a few harmony pics that looked close so I clicked on one and it sent me to this webpage:

http://harmony.demont.net/amps.php

Found it there and its actually a nice comprehensive archive of many Harmony amps. The person who put the work into this database did a real nice job. Along the way I found out some interesting things like, Harmony, Valco and Supro amps were supposedly all made in the same factory in Chicago and share many of the same parts. The Harmony H420 is almost identical to the Supro Thunderbolt with exception to the tone stack, the Harmony has "treble and bass" the Supro just "tone", otherwise the same circuit. The circuit is also very simillar to the Fender 5E5.
    Now I have to figure out what to do with it. Here are some video links of folks playing the H420 amp and a page from their sales catalog for the 1965 models, its a great sounding amp and supposedly goes well for guitar, bass, accordion, harmonica or voice.

https://www.vintageguitarandbass.com/harmony/catalogues/1965_13.php

tubegeek likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.