Cab for Jcm 2000

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Scotty_, Feb 21, 2020.

1. Scotty_

Scotty_ TDPRI Member

Hi, just ordered a used jcm 2000 tsl 100 and looking for what would be pretty common on local marketplaces (used) in terms of a cheap 4x12 cab that works with the head. Sorry, I'm not too competent in combining head and cabs. Any advice would be appreciated, cheers

2. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

Do you have Craigslist there? There are tons of used 4 x 12s for a few hundred bucks on my local CL. No one wants them anymore because we all realized there's not much point in hauling that much firepower to bar gigs. I definitely wouldn't buy a new one. Standard speakers when I had my JCM were Celestion.

If it were me, I'd probably look for a 2 x 12" just for portability. If your JCM has switchable ohms like mine did, you could always stack another 2 x 12" on top of it for the bigger gigs.

graybeard65 likes this.
  3. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

You will find a bunch of Marshall 4X12's for sale, used, on Craigslist and other places. Be advised however, that a lot of those will be low-end MG-series cabs. I would not pair the particular head you have with any of the cheap MG cabs. And I don't think they say MG on them anywhere. For visual clues as to which are which, I think the cheap ones are lacking the white piping around the outside edge of the grill cloth.

graybeard65 likes this.
  4. Scotty_

Scotty_ TDPRI Member

So if I'm only playing small gigs I should just get a 2x12?

Dismalhead and graybeard65 like this.
  5. Ziggy587

Ziggy587 Tele-Meister

Congrats on the TSL! They're such awesome amps!

When I got my JCM 2000 DSL, I wanted a matching Marshall cabinet for it (because what's more rock and roll than that?). I was able to find a used JCM 900 Lead 1960 straight cab for really cheap. My theory is usually people only have straight cabs when they have a full stack. And when they realize how ridiculous a full stack is, they need to offload the straight cab because most people want a slanted cab for a half stack. The market for straight cabs is usually only people looking to make a full stack. That being the case, if you're willing to use a straight cab for a half stack, you can usually find them for cheap. Personally, I love the straight cab for my half stack. The indents for the top cab's wheels make good places to store picks!

My first 4x12 was a Hartke (and yes, it was a guitar cab and not a bass cab). I think they're discontinued now, but they're loaded with Celestion speakers and sound great. They never seemed all that popular, so if you can find one it might be a cheaper alternative to the Marshall.

A 4x12 is very much an ego thing. A 2x12 is more than enough power, takes up less space and is much easier to transport. If you're ever playing a venue that the 2x12 isn't enough, they will surely have a PA system to mic it up if not have a house Marshall 4x12.

Dismalhead and graybeard65 like this.
  6. nathan5782

nathan5782 TDPRI Member

I've seen a few of those MG cabs locally on craigslist for around $100, why not just upgrade the speakers in one? Throw in some Celestion greenbacks or something.

Dismalhead likes this.
  7. joe_cpwe

joe_cpwe Tele-Holic

Thomman sells Harley Benton 2x12s vertical & horizontal w/ Celestion V30s for less than speakers would cost separate. Good internet reviews.

https://www.thomannmusic.com/harley_benton_g212_vintage.htm

https://www.thomannmusic.com/harley_benton_g212_vintage_vertical.htm

4x12 cabs are everywhere, cheap. MusicGoRound has tons of them...

My 1x12 combos are still loud enough for me so I've not purchased a 2x12. This summer I have some outside gigs coming up so we'll see if I've been shortsighted on that.
    Always used a 4x12 in the old days...but...now I'm too old to drag around a 4x12. I traded my old 4x12 straight across for a PV Classic 30 :)

Dismalhead likes this.
  8. tah1962

tah1962 Tele-Afflicted

in my opinion, if you’re playing any gig a 2x12 is all you would ever need. You’re going to mic it anyway at a large gig.

Dismalhead and Ziggy587 like this.
  9. Ziggy587

Ziggy587 Tele-Meister

The MG cabs aren't the same size as the 1960's, which will affect the sound in same way (good or bad). The ones I've seen don't have caster wheels, though I suppose you could add those if desired. But for $100, plus the cost of 4 casters and 4 Celestion Greenbacks... You could just get a used 1960 for cheaper.

3-Chord-Genius likes this.
  10. graybeard65

graybeard65 Tele-Meister

this is really well put. I’ve gigged 4x12’s and 2x12’s - and they look and sound the part for us as guitar players - but in my experience, they’re serious overkill for 95% of what most of us are doing.

my preference anymore is a 1x12 combo, and even that can be too much for a lot of gigs. One recent fill-in gig had me playing 80’s metal with a drummer that was especially heavy-handed - and I was using a 20 watt 1x12 with the master below half -

it was always my dream to gig full Marshall stacks, and I’ve managed to do it once or twice - and it wasn’t what I’d hoped. That was lots of years ago, and my back was stronger than my brains, but couldn’t compete with my ego -

a street festival about 10 years back had me playing an 18 watt 2x10, and the volume was at about 4, and the sound guy (and another band member) had some really choice words for the volume level -

that all said, if you’re set on a Marshall cab, look for gently used 1960 model cabs, or an older 1936 (2x12) - those will fit the head, and look and sound wonderful. As others have said, the MG line isn’t ideal for a working musician.

they aren’t as wide as the full-sized Marshall heads, but if you can find a Marshall 1965 cab, which is a 4x10, those have a smaller footprint on stage, fit into the trunk nicely, and project really well - but they’re nowhere as common, and folks that have them are reluctant to part with them.

best of luck!! Congrats on the new Marshall head - they have amazing potential!

Dismalhead likes this.
  11. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

Yeah, I think those Marshall MG cabs are tempting for a lot of people who see them and don't realize what they actually are. If I had a cheap amp head I'd have no problem using one of those MG cabs. But for a nice amp like the one the OP is talking about, I would definitely get one of the classic Marshall cabs. That is assuming he really wants a 4X12; the last one I had was a solid birch Peavey 5150, and it sounded awesome, but it weighed 100 pounds and I got rid of it. it wasn't easy to get rid of either, I traded it for an Ibanez Artcore and I think I came out way ahead on that deal. People just don't want to haul those heavy cabinets around anymore.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.