Cab Calloway - Insane Betty Boop Animation

Kandinskyesque

Tele-Holic
Thanks for that and inspiring the idea that some Cab Calloway on Spotify might just make these domestic chores all the more pleasant.
(Currently trying to keep up with feeding a 25 year old son isolating with a mysterious virus that nobody will have heard of.)

I love Cab's voice and the animation is surreal. I always get a Weill and Brecht vibe from that combination.

guitar_paul1

Tele-Afflicted
One of my favorite cartoons ever. Not particularly pc, but a cool work of art.

When I was a kid (1950's) there was a local TV show called Uncle Jimmy's Clubhouse and they used to show cartoons. I don't think they paid much attention to the content, but over the course of a couple years my sisters and I saw just about every Betty Boop cartoon. Warped me for life haha.

trapdoor2

Friend of Leo's
Rotoscoping...invented by Max Fleisher himself. That particular cartoon is a masterpiece.

TCM ran several documentaries on the 100th anniversary of Fleisher animation. Included "Cartoon Carnival" and "100th Anniversary of Fleischer Animation" in 2 parts, The Silent Era and "The Sound Era". I DVRd all of them...

Kandinskyesque

Tele-Holic
Xlnt minor key glissandos by that wild man Cab Calloway!

the words "insane animation" in the thread title evaporated any self-restraint I had, so... I re-post this>

If short attention span, jump up to 0:44

Thanks for posting that. I love that song.
I've just recalled an episode of "peak political incorrectness" in 1970s UK. My cub-scout troop had 8 year old me perform that at it local old folks Christmas concert in blackface!
Probably considered abuse of a minor in these more enlightened times.

Flip G

Tele-Holic
One of my favorite cartoons ever. Not particularly pc, but a cool work of art.

When I was a kid (1950's) there was a local TV show called Uncle Jimmy's Clubhouse and they used to show cartoons. I don't think they paid much attention to the content, but over the course of a couple years my sisters and I saw just about every Betty Boop cartoon. Warped me for life haha.

For me it was William "Blackula" Marshall as The King of Cartoons on Pee Wee's Playhouse. I don't think he introduced anything that was made after the mid-thirties. Also, Dave Sanborn's "Night Music" was fantastic for showing early "Soundies," featuring both cartoons and live performances by the likes of Louis Jordan, Duke Ellington, and Gene Krupa. :)

Pee-wee-still-17-Pee-wee-King-1280x720.jpg