Cab and Head fit

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Scotty_, Feb 24, 2020.

1. Scotty_

Scotty_ TDPRI Member

2. bettyseldest

bettyseldest Friend of Leo's

It has two Celestion Vintage 30s in a quality cabinet for less than the price of the speakers. It's a good cabinet if you like the V30 sound. As for it's suitability with your amp what's important is that the power rating is 120w into 8 ohm, or 2 x 60w into 16 ohm. If that works for the amp then it could be the cabinet for you.
    Thomann have a 30 day return period and a 3 year guarantee. I have had nothing but good experiences with them.

3. bettyseldest

There's also a vertical version for a few quid more.

If you want really cheap Marshall do a vertical 2x12 in the Code range, don't know what the speakers are or if it is any good.

4. Scotty_

Scotty_ TDPRI Member

Sorry I know nothing about this aha would it work with the amp?

5. ClashCityTele

ClashCityTele Tele-Afflicted

Link doesn't work. Gets me to Thomann but that's it.
    I'm in UK.

Rowdyman likes this.
  6. VintageSG

VintageSG Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

The Thomann Harley Benton cabinets are well made, fine sounding devices, but, is shipping to Aus viable?

Another thing to consider is the power rating. If you have a 100 Watt capable amp, and it's capable of delivering that 100 Watts of clean, that's one thing. Introduce clipping, peaks and harmonics and you can easily get transients that will exceed that 100 Watts. This may or may not be a problem.

If, like me, you're a fuzz-fiend, beware. Square waves play absolute havoc with speakers. The Thomann with the Celestion Vintage 30 drivers may be 120 Watt capable, and your amp 100 Watt-ish, but lots of square waves will effectively derate those speakers by 50%~66% That's pushing it. It's the rapid acceleration ramp of the wave that does the damage, coupled with the harmonics. Heavy clipping, fuzz, \m/ metal, distortion and octavers with drop tuning may mean the bargain cab goes 'phut!' and maintains an obstinate silence. Know your sound. For an overdriven/fuzzy/distorted sound, derate those drivers!

Laney have a presence in Aus. Their IRT 212 is rated at 160 Watts for example. A second hand cab and drivers to suit may be better. Aim for over-rating the cab by 50% and enjoy getting loud.

7. bettyseldest

I have no experience of running an amp like this, I only run 6, 15 or 18 watt heads into 30, 50 or 100 watt cabinets. Others will comment on the advisability of combining the amp and cab, but here is what the manual has to say;

upload_2020-2-24_11-20-17.png
    upload_2020-2-24_11-21-7.png
    upload_2020-2-24_11-48-20.png

8. bettyseldest

9. ClashCityTele

Thanks. Both working now!?!
    I'm familiar with the cab, nearly bought one.
    Don't know the amp.

10. ClashCityTele

I don't think they are compatible.
    The amp has one 16ohm output; the cab has two (stereo) 16ohm inputs.
    So only one speaker would work with your amp.
    The amp has two parallel 8ohm outputs; the cab has a single mono 8ohm input (L or R) feeding both speaker at once.
    Not sure about only running one output instead of two.
    I have a Bugera 212V-BK with mono 4/16ohm & stereo 8ohm inputs, which would suit your amp better.
    It's based on a Marshall 2x12. Any cab with a back panel like this may be more suitable.
    This is a later version Bugera 212TS:-
    750-212TS_detail1.jpg

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.