1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Bzzzz....

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by schmee, Nov 23, 2020.

1. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity

:lol:
    One Of The Best "Trick The Engineers" Pranks! By Les Paul
    "I was always a prankster, and one time at WBBM, I decided I wanted to play a trick on everybody in the control room. So I caught a common house fly, went to one of the main microphones they used on the air, opened up the housing, put the fly inside, and closed it back up. Then I just sat back and watched them go crazy trying to figure out where the buzzing was coming from. The fly would buzz around inside the mic and then rest for a couple of seconds, and the engineers were going nuts trying to find the cause. Watching them trying to identify the problem just struck me as very funny, and they never did figure it out until I finally told them." -Les Paul
    [​IMG]

2. stxrus

stxrus Poster Extraordinaire

Good god that is too funny. I would have loved have experienced that. Better yet, I would liked to have done that on a round table I was forced to work on at a local Community College in the DFW area

schmee likes this.
  3. beanluc

beanluc Tele-Holic

One of my friends removed our French teacher's hubcaps and chucked a couple of marbles inside before putting it back on.

Torren61 likes this.
  4. Stringbanger

Stringbanger Telefied Ad Free Member

Tape a lifeguard whistle (the pea type) under the front of someone’s car, with the blowing part of the whistle facing forward.

I never tried it, but the results could be hilarious.:D

Torren61 likes this.
  5. stxrus

Looking at Les’ hands it’s obvious he was a working/tinkering man as well a great musician

6. Blue Bill

Blue Bill Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Hahaha, great story.

7. 39martind18

39martind18 Friend of Leo's

During the CB craze in the 70s, there was a person who would get on the air with a base station and create havoc by blanketing the channel with electronically generated noise. My rig at the time was, I'm sure, not nearly as elaborate or powerful as his, but it had a fair-sized "foot warmer" to augment the radio's original power. After putting up with his bovine scat, I went and caught a cicada, fired up the rig, agitated the cicada and keyed the mic. I know he heard me, because when I released the mic, there was a moment of silence, and then he said, " What the hell was that?":p:cool:

8. Torren61

Torren61 Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Linemen are notorious (in the electrical line trade) for pulling pranks.

I have personally zip tied thick zip ties around the drive shaft of a truck (made a noise that took them 15 minutes to figure out before climbing under the truck),

put rocks in the hub caps, taped the radio microphone in the keyed position (the two guys in the truck probably shouldn't have been talking smack about the supervisor),

took a forklift and raised up a guy's pickup truck rear end and put cross arm bits under the axle so the wheels LOOKED like they were making contact with the ground but were not (he could not figure out why his truck didn't move in any gear at all),

put a layer of axle grease on the inside of a guy's hardhat headband (pretty funny when he took off his hardhat, lol)

greased a truck's steering wheel (funny look of puzzlement from the driver)

We have a (USED to have) a thing called greasing that is different from the above mentioned pranks. So, sometimes an apprentice will get cocky and he needs to be greased. It was a rain day and everyone was hanging out in the mechanic's shop. It's a very large area. Some of the linemen were telling stories about greasing apprentices. That means pulling down a fellow's pants and underwear and packing a handful of axle grease between their cheeks. Well, this is not usually done without a fight and the more the fight the more the fun.

Anyway, Daryl Tribbel made the mistake of saying "There's not enough of you guys here to grease ME." This was about 1984 or 1985 as I was still an apprentice myself. It took all of five seconds for six linemen to have Daryl in the air, belly up, pants and underwear down with men on his arms and legs and midsection and one with a secure headlock on Daryl. They all look at me and one of them said "Bring that can of grease over here or you're next!"

This was going to happen with or without me. I looked at the bench and saw a container of grease and a container of Go-Jo (hand cleaner) so I grabbed the Go-Jo. Well, Daryl ended up with a handful of Go-Jo in between his cheeks (you're welcome).

They turned him loose and every one of them looked at me and the leader said "You're next!". One should be able to recognize the inevitable. So... I dropped my pants and turned around and bent over. "Aw, you're no fun..." And they left me alone, lol.

Back to Daryl. He tells his mother what happened. She was FURIOUS! She made some calls and that was the end of those kinds of pranks. Those guys didn't hurt anyone and they didn't go any further than just smearing stuff between your cheeks. It was a thing that pretty much ALL of them had been through. It was hazing and it meant they liked you. Or, at least they did until you call your mom.

Another thing that was a tradition is when a guy was going to get married, the guys would get him down and paint his... er... junk and boys with merthiolate. It's very much like iodine but doesn't burn. It dyes the skin a reddish brown though. For days. So, a guy gets "painted" right before his wedding and goes on his honeymoon and his bride discovers he's been painted, lol.

You do that stuff today and you go to prison...

Stringbanger and Fretting out like this.
  9. Fretting out

Fretting out Poster Extraordinaire

You’re one of the few people on here that leave me speechless

Kind of reminds me of pranks that we’d pull in middle school, stuff that if kids did today they’d probably be taken downtown and put on a list

Was all in good fun for the most part, kids are crazy, now full grown linemen.... I don’t know

Last edited: Nov 23, 2020
    Torren61 likes this.
  10. Torren61

Torren61 Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

I can't even take offense at that because it's true... However, that was over thirty years ago.

Fretting out likes this.
  11. stxrus

Someone may or may not have taken a shotgun shell and pushed into a muffler of someone that may or may not have deserved the prank. A few miles down the road there was an explosion and the muffler was toast. The driver thought it was the end of the world

There were others that I may mention later but not now

Fretting out likes this.
  12. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

Great story. Pranksters in the studio ... a nightmare.

Fretting out likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.