1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

"BZ-339" Build

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by jamorudd, Mar 28, 2013.

1. jamorudd

jamorudd Tele-Afflicted

This build has been on hold for a couple weeks, mainly because I've been focusing on other projects, but also because after re sawing the ziricote into the two pieces to be book matched for the top, I left them for about a week, then found that they had developed a bit of a cup. I left them to see if the cup would go away naturally, which it has not. I have been debating if I should 1) attempt to bend the cup out by leaving pressure applied; 2) try planing the cup out of it; or 3) leave the cup, and hope the clamping pressure and glue are enough to keep it flat when glued onto the body.

However, I just had a brain wave this afternoon, but want to see if I understand this correctly before I get my hopes up. First, I know that the cup can be caused by differing moisture contents on sides of the board. As seen in the previous pictures, this board came to me with a pretty good layer of finish on it. After cutting the board in half, each half developed a cup with the unfinished side forming the concave side.

So the questions: 1) first, am I correct that the concave side of the cup would be the half that is more dry?

And 2) does it follow that the finish on one side is preventing that side from drying at the same rate, and so, removing the finish could cause the cup to correct itself?

If not, how would you suggest I proceed with this?

Thanks!

2. crazydave911

crazydave911 Doctor of Teleocity

Yep ;) Remove the finish, rub a damp cloth across the new surface then let them sit. It may not correct all of it, but it will get close. Read Rich Rice's reso thread, and see how he corrects from that point. If after this you have only a slight bow, dampen and try again. If it's very slight then, heck with it..........glue that bad boy up ;)

3. jamorudd

jamorudd Tele-Afflicted

Thanks! Glad to know I'm on the right path. ;)

4. ModerneGuy

ModerneGuy Tele-Holic

I had a board - originally one side sealed and the other not, which had developed a cup and after doing a bit of reading on the interwebs tried the "leave on the damp grass in the sun for a while" technique. I just did this the other day and it worked out really well - not perfect but I'm comfortable with planing it flat now or - if I can get it a bit better, clamping it down.

Your builds are looking really good by the way.

5. jamorudd

jamorudd Tele-Afflicted

Well, quick update. Got most of the sealer/finish sanded off, and rubbed some water on, but just to double check, I want to wet the concave side, don't I? I wont be able to do anything with that top for a week or two anyway, so I'm just gonna set it to the side and let it do it's thing, and see where we stand after a few days.

Also got started drilling some of the body out:

[​IMG]

Again, I'm amazed at how hard this rosewood is. The few spots that I drilled in the maple felt like I was drilling pine after working throu all that rosewood! ;)

6. crazydave911

Yup! :)

7. Rich Rice

Rich Rice Poster Extraordinaire

If it will be sitting for a while, I'd suggest wetting it, stacking and stickering it, and weighting it- much better chance it will settle down that way. If you just leave it laying around, it may be worse when you come back to it. You want air movement on all sides of each piece for the board to equalize.

8. jamorudd

jamorudd Tele-Afflicted

Thanks for the info. I'll definitely try to get something rigged up. :)

9. jamorudd

jamorudd Tele-Afflicted

Well I was in a local luthier's (Honest Ron's Guitars) shop last week and asked him if he had any other ideas for flattening these boards out. He gave me a neat little recipe: said clamp the two pieces to a flat piece of plywood, then stick em in the oven on about 180 degrees, let em simmer for about 30 minutes. Then, turn the oven off and slowly let them cool.
    So I did!
    Here's the pre-oven shot:
    [​IMG]

Unfortunately I didn't get a post-oven shot, but I will say the pieces are now in the clamps glued together waiting for me at home! :)
    Now I just hope they stay that way until I get em glued down to the body!

10. jamorudd

jamorudd Tele-Afflicted

Just a wee bit o' progress today. Took the ziricote out of the clamps. It tuned out pretty nice. Still a little cupped but nothing a trip to clamp city won't cure when glue up time comes.

So I went ahead and cut the top roughly to size and centered it on the 335 plans to lay out the f hole placement and roughed those out with the scroll saw. You can also see a couple of cutoff pieces for a book matched headstock veneer in the background.

[​IMG]

Backside:

[​IMG]

Edit: you can also see the one clamp correcting a little issue from the initial glue-up.

11. crazydave911

That's going to be sooooooo cool :D

12. jamorudd

jamorudd Tele-Afflicted

Thanks! I'm just trying as hard as I can to take it nice and slow so I don't make any stupid mistakes. Lots of pressure when working with woods and stuff like this, at least for me that is...

13. jamorudd

jamorudd Tele-Afflicted

Finally took some time away from my acoustic build to work on this. Because of the slight cup to the boards, I was unable to get a good clamp on the top when I glued it, and so have been unhappy with the glue joint ever since. I ended up splitting the two pieces back apart, then hit them with the jointer again to get a better joint. To make up for the lost width I added a rosewood strip down the middle. I am much happier with it this time around, although I did prefer the top without the rosewood stripe.

[​IMG]

And here it is slightly wetted down.
    [​IMG]

It is worth noting that right now the body stands at about 7.7 pounds even after all the chambering... No worries about neck dive! ;)

14. jamorudd

jamorudd Tele-Afflicted

Made a bit more progress on this today, but I was about out of daylight by the time I took any pics, so sorry they're dark.

First, finally made some decisions for plans for this guitar. Besides the shape, I'm going pretty fender with this. 25.5 scale, no neck angle, flat headstock... Also thinking bind the f holes with white, maple binding on top, round-over on back, strat hard tail bridge, and at least one dog ear P90.

First, hogged out some wood for the neck pocket.

[​IMG]

Then worked on the control cavity.

[​IMG]

Then glued up a maple/rosewood/maple sandwich.

[​IMG]

And lastly, found this long forgotten rosewood FB blank that I cut as a backup for my acoustic build.

[​IMG]

15. DrASATele

DrASATele Poster Extraordinaire

This is coming along great. Love the choice of guitar and wood it's going to be very unique.

What are you doing for a finish?

16. jamorudd

jamorudd Tele-Afflicted

Why thank ya! I'm still unsure on the finish, but I'm leaning toward tru-oil. I haven't been too happy with my sprayed finishes as of late, and I have yet to use tru oil on an electric. But really, it's still pretty up in the air.

17. jim the plumber

jim the plumber Tele-Holic

looking good love the top

18. oldrebel

oldrebel Friend of Leo's

That is looking good. Can't wait to see the finish!!

19. jamorudd

jamorudd Tele-Afflicted

Thanks Jim and oldrebel.

I planed the neck blank down to thickness today, but other than that, this one is pretty much at a stand still until I get some truss rods ordered. But I've got at least 3 other projects going, so not a biggy.

[​IMG]

Also started a thinline tele build today for a friend that will use the other half of this zericote board for the top. Might make a thread for it when it gets a bit farther along if anything comes up on it that hasn't been done and seen a million times before...

20. jamorudd

jamorudd Tele-Afflicted

Finally got back around to this one. Decided to pass on a truss rod since this one will be staying with me.

Glued on a wing on the headstock and cut neck to rough shape.

[​IMG]

Routed that to shape, no pics, but no issues there.

Routed the neck pocket
    [​IMG]

You can also see where I routed the binding channel. I plan on cutting some maple strips for binding next time I can get out to my grandpa's old tools.

Neck should be a perfect fit after I tweak the radii of the neck corners.
    [​IMG]

Then since this body is SOOO heavy, and I plan on leaving the back flat, I at least put a big ol' strat 1/2" round over on the back, so it can have at least some degree of comfort... Surprisingly, though, I quite like the look of the heavy round over on this body.

[​IMG]

Finally, made a maple control cover.
    [​IMG]

RodeoTex likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.