1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

"BZ-339" Build

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by jamorudd, Mar 28, 2013.

1. jamorudd

jamorudd Tele-Afflicted

Well some of you may have seen the thread chronicling my recent wood scores in the beautiful country of Belize, and my own little debate that followed for what this wood should be put toward. And now, I feel I am finally ready to let the fun begin. The body shape will basically be based on a Gibson ES-339. Taking that, combined with the origin of the wood, is how I concluded on the title "BZ-339". So, here's the plan as it stands now (some specifics are still up in the air for now):

The Body: 2 piece rosewood, heavily chambered body with a (flat) book-matched Ziricote top. Because these are both dark woods, I think I will also depart from the Belize theme a little here and throw in some flamed maple double binding, as well as a thin maple strip down the center of the back. Depending on how adventurous I am feeling, I may also attempt to do maple binding in the f holes.

The Neck: I'm pretty sure I will have enough rosewood to make the neck out of it as well, probably continuing the thin maple strip down the center of it. Ziricote fretboard with maple dots. Angled headstock, 3x3 tuners.

The Rest: I'm not entirely decided on pickups, but I'm leaning toward 2 P 90s. 2 volume, 2 tone, 3 way switch, etc...

This build will likely be pretty slow going at first, as I'm already in a race with the clock on another build that is to be auctioned off for a fund raiser next month, but I'm pretty excited for this so I'm sure I'll make some time for it. I'll at least post some shots of the wood to be used tomorrow, if I don't get to making some saw dust yet...

2. jamorudd

jamorudd Tele-Afflicted

For now, here's a shot to prove I am, in fact, at least making a little progress. You can see the 339 plan ill be using for the body, along with the 335 plan I'm using for the neck, pockets, and such. You can also kind of tell that the 339 is about an inch smaller all the way around, which is why I chose it.

[​IMG]

atowndub7 likes this.
  3. jamorudd

jamorudd Tele-Afflicted

Oh and a HUGE thanks to member LC100 for hooking me up with these PDF's, and also to all of you who offered guidance for this build!

4. jamorudd

jamorudd Tele-Afflicted

Made a little progress today!

First, here's the wood I'll be using. Left to right, rosewood, ziricote, and flamed maple.
    [​IMG]

Today I got started on the main body template, and started getting my body blank ready for glue up.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And finally, here's what I managed to have left over of the rosewood. First I ripped about an inch and a half off the end, which I hope to put to use on the neck. Then I sliced a little over a quarter inch off the top that will prolly be a top on another build some time.

[​IMG]

5. nickhofen

nickhofen Friend of Leo's

I like this colour combination, can you give some info about ziricote wood:?:

6. jamorudd

jamorudd Tele-Afflicted

Yeah, I don't know too much about it. Just that it only grows in Central America, specifically Belize mainly, but also the southern tip of Mexico and Guatemala I think. From what I've heard, it's pretty similar to rosewoods as far as hardness goes, but usually gives a sharper/brighter sound when used on acoustic guitars.

7. jamorudd

jamorudd Tele-Afflicted

Got a little more done this morning, but the pictures I got were blurry. I think I had saw dust on the lens so ill try to get some better shots tomorrow.

Today I glued up the body blank, and got the body roughly cut out on the bandsaw. I also cut some thin strips of maple to be bent and used for binding when the time comes.

That's all I got to today, as the rest of my time was spent working on necks for my 2 other builds.

8. Rich Rice

Rich Rice Poster Extraordinaire

Very nice. ;) Beautiful stock you are working with.

9. jamorudd

jamorudd Tele-Afflicted

Thanks, I think the hardest part so far has been finding the most efficient way to cut everything so as not to waste any of this wood! I still haven't gotten the courage up to cut into the Ziricote. Tomorrow, perhaps...

10. jamorudd

jamorudd Tele-Afflicted

Old pictures and new updates!

Here's a picture of where I left off that I never got uploaded:

[​IMG]

Today I finally got up the courage to cut into the Ziricote. I must say, for such beautiful wood, it is certainly the worst smelling wood I've ever worked with... Anyway, first I chopped the 36" board in half and decided to use this half:

[​IMG]

From there I got to work bookmatching it. Hit it with the table saw first, then finished up the little bit that couldn't reach on the band saw, which revealed this:

[​IMG]

Cleaned that up on the plainer, and I was left these two options. I suppose you can place your vote for which I go with, but I think the correct choice is pretty clear ;)

#1[​IMG]

#2[​IMG]

The only issue with number one is that small not which would need a good dose of CA glue. But it's still my favorite by far!

Also on an impulsive whim today started this little project, my tele-uke V.2:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I wasn't at all pleased with my first attempt at one of these, and I had appropriately sized scraps laying around so figured what the heck. Also to keep it cheep I am just gonna cannibalize the first to reuse the hardware...

Well, th th th that's all folks!

11. wayloncash

wayloncash Tele-Afflicted

this is one of my favorite guitars. and beautiful wood.

Like the mini tele too. pretty cool.

12. jamorudd

jamorudd Tele-Afflicted

Thanks! I just hope I do the guitar justice!

13. Glen Smith

Glen Smith RIP

Number 1.

14. crazydave911

crazydave911 Doctor of Teleocity

Yup ;)

15. Bentley

Bentley Friend of Leo's

Number one..

And if you're wondering about ziricote, you might wanna ask Nosmo. He used it on his second build. He said it was super expensive..

16. jamorudd

jamorudd Tele-Afflicted

I think I recall seeing that build at some point. I'll try and look it up. And yeah, it is pretty expensive. Unless... You bring it back from where it grows natively as a carry-on! That's why the piece I'm using already has a coat of finish on it. Its a loophole that lets you call it a "wood carving" instead of raw lumber when bringing it across the border. All in all, this 1x8x36 piece was only around $20. That compared to the $450 LMI sells an acoustic guitar back/side set of this stuff for, and I'd say I got a bargain! :)

RodeoTex likes this.
  17. LC100

LC100 Tele-Meister

By any chance did you weigh the blank as it sits now? Curious what the difference will be if you decide to chamber it.

One other thing...that drawing *might* have a neck connection joint that could be narrower than you would like (I'm talking a few thousandths here - but still). The drawing was without numbers for a reason and only made as guide. Best bet is to not trim that to size until the neck is finalized and you can shape the cutaways into the neck.

18. jamorudd

jamorudd Tele-Afflicted

I haven't weighed it yet, but I'll make sure I do before I hollow it out. One things for sure: it's HEAVY! ;)

And thanks. My plan is to use the 335 plans from the neck pocket down, so I'll get that all templated up to make sure it all works before I go too much further in that area.

19. LC100

LC100 Tele-Meister

Heh, I bet it is heavy if the chunk I have here is any indication. :p

Probably a good idea to use the 335 for a baseline. I'd still go by what you actually have in hand though. EG: the 339 based plan I sketched was intended for the neck to join at the 19th fret. Whatever your fretboard taper is at that point would (should?) do the trick. Guess I'm saying you can use the one with the numbers but it still might be a good idea to leave the cut away areas that merge into the neck slightly proud and finish trim later for the perfect fit.

Another thought on the weight... It's possible the end of the center block is longer than you need for the scale length. You might be able to shorten it some and lose a tiny bit more weight. Which could be useful for this wood.

20. jamorudd

jamorudd Tele-Afflicted

Thanks, I'll definitely do that for the neck pocket. Better safe than sorry! And I payed the 339 plan on top of the 335 plan and it looked like the center block is about right, but I'll double check for some wiggle room.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.