Bypassing Reverb?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Bluey, Jan 14, 2020.

1. Bluey

Bluey Tele-Meister

What would happen if I bypassed the reverb tank send & recieve with a patch cable? 68 Custom PRRI.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2020
  2. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Back in the ‘70’s there was a trend of using such a thing. The reverb control becomes a gain control. There was a little box called the Ice Cube to accomplish the added gain stage that occurs. Some liked the result, some did not. There are Fender amps that ‘rob’ the Reverb circuit drive stage for this purpose...the Super Champ and Princeton Reverb II being two of them.

Bluey likes this.
  3. Bluey

Bluey Tele-Meister

Did a google on Ice Cube seems it may have only been a 470k resistor??? With or without Ice Cube it seems the best results were Deluxe Reverbs & silverface Princetons making them more responsive & driving the front end via reverb foot switch.

4. Wally

Blues, ime it would not matter which BF/SF Reverb amp one used this approach on because they all have the same preamp, all are fixed biased, and all except the Princeton Reverb have a long tail pair phase inverter. They are in essence basically all very similar amps but for the targeted power output.

Bluey likes this.
  5. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

You can also patch out of the reverb tank jack to the Normal channel using that channel for more reverb controls than just a single knob. There's a thread or two about that here on TDPRI.

Bluey likes this.
  6. Bluey

Bluey Tele-Meister

Yeh sorry, I meant I got the impression those who tried this seemed to like it with dripedge amps but blackface looses too much bass & becomes harsh & fizzy.

Wally likes this.
  7. Wally

yes, I understand about reading ‘impressions’ on such things online. The truth of it all is that most drip edge amps are in fact BF circuits that were designed before the SF cosmetics were introduced in April, 1967. The CBS circuit changes took place starting in the summer of 1968, and even the; the circuits were basically the same. One problem with comparisons of unknown amps is that the biasing can make or break an amp’s Sonic output, so I don’t pay much attention to comparisons unless I know who is making the comparison and what they know about the details. My pint is that IF one had a 1969 SF and a 1965 Reverb amp of the same model, one could make the SF sound better than the BF IF the biasing in the BF amp were way off and the SF amp’s biasing were to have been set to yield really good basic sound......OT the other way around. And that is just the biasing.......other variables are important.
    That said, there are a lot of other really good ways to get some overdrive going in such an amp today.....

Bluey likes this.
  8. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

I tried a "mod" that bypassed the tank early on when I started burning my fingers and getting shocked inside amps. I'd read about a mod somewhere and tried it on a SFTR I had then. As I recall that one involved a resister, I didn't like it.
    Tried a lot of those common mods back then and found I really just like a stock old Fender that's tuned up right. New E-caps, bias set half fast close, tubes that work, speaker(s) not crazy loud at one watt. . . .
    Don't use a dirt pedal much anymore but they're a good way of getting some dirt if you can't turn up.

Bluey likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.