BYOC Silver Pony (Klon Clone)

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Tinman46, Jul 25, 2014.

1. Tinman46

Tinman46 Tele-Meister

I just saw the BYOC video for the Silver Pony and I want it! Just about everything on my board is BYOC, except tuner and looper, and I've been waiting for this one. Doesn't seem to be available on their site yet though.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 25, 2014
  2. Tritone

Tritone TDPRI Member

Yeah that demo is pretty incredible. And such a value. I read the kit will be about 80 bucks. Heck, you could buy the kit, a soldering station and all the required tools to build the thing, and it'd still cost way less than a KTR, let alone a used Klon!

3. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Impressively indistinguishable through Youtube. But so is my Klone which is the "corrected" Madbean layout, IIRC. Does anyone know if that correction also corrects the two tone pot values that the BYOC materials mention? Or are those two tone pot values that BYOC mentions a new discovery, leaving an error in the "corrected" Madbean layout. Thanks.

4. Tinman46

Tinman46 Tele-Meister

Just got a message back from BYOC and...

"These will be released late next week or early the following week. Our Canadian distributor might not have them in stock by the time we release in the US, but his shipment will have already been in route for several days."

5. duhvoodooman

duhvoodooman TDPRI Member

6. Greg.Coal

Greg.Coal Tele-Afflicted

The web site says: "The BYOC Silver Pony is based on the silver-era Klon Centaur." What distinguishes that Klon? A friend has the copper colored one. I love it. I only listened to this vid above with small speakers.

Greg

7. duhvoodooman

According to Bill Finnegan, the maker of the Klon pedals, not much of anything other than the plainer enclosure. To quote him from an article in Premier Guitar earlier this year:

“The fact is, under the hood they’re all basically the same. In 1995 I made three small changes: I added a resistor to give the circuit some protection against a static charge delivered to its input—a change that has no sonic effect. I also had the circuit board redesigned with a ground plane for better grounding—again, no sonic effect except the potential for a little less hum. And I added a resistor to give the circuit a very small amount of additional low-mid response—I wanted it to have a little more roundness when used with, say, a Strat into a Super Reverb. I made no other changes.”

8. Garage Dog

Garage Dog TDPRI Member

I am surprised that this pedal has not gained more attention given the price and BYOC reputation for putting together great sounding kits.

9. duhvoodooman

The kit just came out this week, so give it a bit of time. From what I see, the "buzz" is building.

10. waparker4

waparker4 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I like building pedals but the soul food is 60, and I'm like 1 for 4 on kit builds and like 2/3 on mods. :) I think ill skip this one

11. MilwMark

I think part of the idea is that BYOC is communicating cloned then unit in their possession, exactly. So you know you have an exact clone of an actual unit.

12. gtrguru

gtrguru Friend of Leo's

I pulled the trigger on one of these at work today. Never built a pedal before but I can rewire guitars and build cables so I'm not afraid.

I just want to hear a Klon through my rig and I want a good grit boost box. Planning to paint it silver and find a good Centaur image to put on it.

Should be fun!

13. Tinman46

Tinman46 Tele-Meister

Let us know how it goes. I'm still waiting for my Canadian supplier to get them in stock.

14. Scott57

Scott57 Tele-Meister

I hoped to get my kit today but no luck. Maybe tomorrow. I went with the powder-coated enclosure so I could start building right away.

15. duhvoodooman

For those of you considering trying one of these kits, you really only need two things (other than the cost of the kit!): decent soldering skills and the ability to follow detailed written instructions. I'm a moderator at the BYOC forums where we provide a lot of free technical support (the forum mods are all volunteers), and probably 75% of the problems we see are due to poor soldering, so I don't recommend one of these kits if you've never soldered before.

Here are a couple of "gut shots" of the BYOC Silver Pony I built this past weekend. I can knock one of these out in a couple of hours, but I've built hundreds of these kits. It's better to take your time and make sure the work is done carefully and correctly.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

16. dog fart

dog fart Friend of Leo's

Nice work there duhvoodoooman. What do you think of the pedal itself?

17. 11 Gauge

11 Gauge Doctor of Teleocity

FYI, Keith himself @ BYOC has commented on how he "exactly blueprinted" the Silver Pony to his later (SN in the range of 2000s, IIRC) KC, and discussed the differences from the earlier KC (SN "698" IIRC?) traced by Martin Chittum.

Link to thread at BYOC here:

http://byocelectronics.com/board/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=49894

Note - "BYOC Keith" and myself (for those who know me by that name) are NOT the same person. That's just a disclaimer so that I don't get chased down with a lot of questions.

While the discussion might get a bit tech-ish, the more important aspect is that Keith found what appears to be two resistors that were reversed in their placement in the tone circuit. You can get the same response despite the difference, but it will happen at different spots on the dial. The Silver Pony remedies this, and can actually be fitted to any "true Klone" as well, TTBOMK.

Please - bear in mind I'm just the relayer of information.

It is also being worked out as to whether or not there were differences between earlier and later KC's, given the big difference in SN's with the one Martin traced vs. the one that Keith (Vanderhulls - NOT me) traced.

FIVE pages of discussion on BYOC alone (as of right now), with at least two other sites/boards/discussions also involved, or getting involved.

Apparently, the next step is to x-ref the component values against a KTR, since there's no goop (and SMT resistor values are actually pretty easy to confirm).

...We may even (eventually) end up with a sort of "chart" with the differences, at least with "snapshots" at different SN's. Great news for Klone owners.

Again - I have no affil with any of this, and as fun as discussing the KC might be, I don't own either it or a Klone. And NO - that means no Klone that I built, either.

FWIW...

18. gtrguru

gtrguru Friend of Leo's

My kit should arrive friday. Working on the graphics for my water slide decal now. I was instant messaging byoc before I bought the kit with some questions since I've never built a pedal before. They assured me if I can solder cables and guitar electronics (which I can do reasonably well) then I should have no issues.

19. MilwMark

I couldn't resist. I was able to snatch one on another forum. A BYOC pre-built Silver Pony for the cost of a kit sent to me. Klon flipping happens quite fast over there. Anyway, a/b'd against my Chittum based Klone. EXCEEDINGLY similar. Slight differences in tone and feel. The Chittum was a little more high mids. The Pony, a little more low mids. Traded the Chittum one (because it was bigger and I prefer low mids more). And I don't need two Klones. Pony also a hair clearer and let the pickups come through more. But I was really listening so I could be imagining. I couldn't set them precisely the same but darn close. Whether the remaining 5% differences is due to components/tolerances or because Bill make one tiny audio change to the circuit IIRC, and the Chittum is pre-change and the Pony post, I don't know. But thanks for the link; i will read it with interest. FWIW my OD 250 and Rat still edge it for me, but by a smaller gap. The size and top jacks are nice. And the polished silver box with simple graphics looks classy to me.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 5, 2014
  20. duhvoodooman

This mirrors my own experience with the Silver Pony, as well. I also have a Chittum schemo-based clone that I A'B'ed with the SP and found exactly the same thing. The slight difference in EQ response may very well relate directly to the two resistors that BYOC flipped around vs. the Chittum schematic. You can read Keith Vonderhull's comment on that HERE, if you're interested.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.