1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

BYOC - Marshall BluesBreaker (So good)

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by mjensen, Dec 31, 2019.

1. mjensen

mjensen TDPRI Member

About two years ago, I was given a pedal one of my teachers built. It's a clone of the original Marshall Blues Breaker pedal (You know, the ones from the 90s you sometimes see going for like $450). Only this is a Build Your Own Clone pedal for like $60. They call theirs the British Blues Overdrive.

When I first got it I only kinda liked it. Pretty dark, very low gain. I wasn't really sure what it was for. Being that I was playing a lot of punk at the time, I didnt really love it.

But oh boy now I get it! If you're running an amp with too much headroom and you cant get the full sweetness of that poweramp distortion, throw this thing in and just leave it on at all times. Tone on full (because it's quite dark..even all the way open it's still a little darker than your original signal), volume a little bit above unity gain, and gain about 80%.

What do you get? Well if you close your eyes, you'd swear you were pushing a low wattage version of your amp into beautiful edge of breakup tones. This thing completely removes the need for an attenuator for me.

Now I know the purists are going to say "It's not the same. You're not getting any power amp breakup there". To which I logically agree. However, I gotta say that my ears are having a REAL hard time telling the difference. My sound is full and big and beautiful in my tiny little studio. And when I take it out to jam, I can get very sweet tones without constantly being told to turn down.

I gotta say, I get it now.

2. RottenTheCat

RottenTheCat Tele-Holic

About 15 years ago I built the bluesbreaker clone. I forgot who's online kit it was but it had no enclosure. I stuck it in a Russian big muff enclosure. About a month later I was able to get a real bluesbreaker pedal for not too much money. They were exactly identical. Knob rotation for knob rotation. Tells me that the design is not too finicky. I ended up given The real McCoy to my best friend.

mjensen likes this.
  3. sirbergersworth

sirbergersworth Tele-Holic

I built and use my byoc bluesbreaker. I also love it. One of my favorites. I really like it with a clean boost in front of it also. Katana, Stratoblaster, LPB-1.. I’ve had good luck with all of them.
    Happy New Year.

mjensen likes this.
  4. jimilee

jimilee Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I built one as well. I don’t know what happened to it, but it has the Union Jack covering the top. If you see it, let me know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sirbergersworth likes this.
  5. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

Snouse is pretty close too.

6. LightningPhil

LightningPhil Tele-Meister

Must fire my one up. Have been ignoring pedals for much of the last year.

7. cousinpaul

cousinpaul Friend of Leo's

I've got GGG and Chicago Stompworks clones. May be a matter of settings but I don't find them dark sounding at all. They're my go-to with a strat. Have also tried a lot of the popular mods and always end up reversing them. IMO, the stock pedal is very well thought out

8. ICTRock

ICTRock Tele-Afflicted

I'm definitely in the bluesbreaker camp ... built to spec, they're a little light on overall volume on tap but a wonderful overdrive all the same.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.