BYOC Green Pony

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Paul in Colorado, Jun 26, 2019.

1. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

2. 11 Gauge

11 Gauge Doctor of Teleocity

It's not really a klone, but is an OD820 with some tweaks.

The OD820 is mostly a Tube Screamer with a charge pump and a gain control that blends between clipping and clean, but differs from the Klon in that it doesn't use hard clipping, and as BYOC noted, you don't get the "tone loss" when the gain knob is set somewhere in the middle.

The OD820 also has a "high performance buffer" (which IMO is a poor way to put it - either a buffer "properly performs," or it doesn't).

...Just given that the Green Pony is roughly half the cost of the OD820 could possibly add to the appeal of getting one. It also has the switches for adjusting the bass and clipping characteristics.

Probably the main thing to consider is that the OD820 will sound like a Tube Screamer, for the most part. Even though the Green Pony can have more bass and less midrange emphasis vs. the OD820, it's still going to sound TS-like. If you don't like how TS-based ODs sound, you may not care for how the Green Pony sounds.

3. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

Thanks for that, 11 Gauge! It helps. I have plenty of TS type pedals already, so I may or may not try it. I would like to have something smaller then my BBE Green Screamer, though. Maybe a Silver Pony might be a better way to go for something I don't already have.

4. DrThunder

DrThunder TDPRI Member

I bought one pre-built, its my favorite dirt pedal...its pretty sweet

5. FenderLover

FenderLover Friend of Leo's

Clearly, the 820 is already a better sounding TS in its stock form. Changing a diode or cap could make it less 'TS' too, like any other modded pedal. I would look at it as a better design to start with because most 'good' sounding overdrives sound pretty similar.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.