Buzzing your hair, versus shaving bald

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by TheGoodTexan, Jul 13, 2013.

1. babalooga

babalooga Tele-Holic

I just got a buzz on Friday after work. My wife came home and gave me a playful smack across the head and said "too short, way too short". I just got tired of having too fool around with hair. My barber used a 1 1/2 setting and it feels great, especially in the summer heat.

Hey I'm 60 years old and I really don't give a fat rats behind how I look. It's not like I'm trying to attract another mate :lol:. As long as my wife and granddaughter still love me I don't worry about, I never was much to look at to start with :rolleyes:.

2. stnmtthw

stnmtthw Friend of Leo's

Well, I did it...

Got up this morning, broke out the clippers, buzzed it all off, and hit it with the electric razor. And you know what? It looks pretty damn good, and feels better. I just need to wear a hat if I'm in the sun for any amount of time- I didn't realize how white I was under my hair. :D

My wife and my daughter are making Mr. Clean jokes, but I expected that. They just need time to get used to it.

3. stnmtthw

stnmtthw Friend of Leo's

Exactly! That's exactly how I feel today. :cool:

4. Skully

Skully Doctor of Teleocity

It'll even out.

My wife was a little freaked out when I first did it. She approved of it in theory and she likes the results, but I didn't tell her I was going to do it and the change was a shock. My kids, who were pretty young at the time, were perplexed-to-disturbed, but now they can't imagine me with hair.

It can get cold, but the point is that it doesn't have to get that cold for the completely bald person to need a cap for warmth.

5. Slowpoke

Slowpoke Tele-Afflicted

You guys that have just shaved your heads need to be careful. Always wear a hat when out in the sun cos heads really hurt and ache if they get burned. And in winter when its cold you'll need to wear a hat too, because you lose a lot of body heat thru' the top of your head... Trust me, I've been shaving my head for years and I know the perils of not wearing a hat...S:lol:

6. Brad Pittiful

Brad Pittiful Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

you dont lose anymore heat from your head than you do the rest of your body...thats an old wives tale...or in modern day lingo an urban legend

7. Skully

Skully Doctor of Teleocity

Be that as it may, you will feel the cold much more intensely if your bald head is exposed than, say, your legs. Trust me on this. And, while you may not lose more heat through your head, scientists say the face, head and chest are more sensitive to changes in temperature than the rest of the body.

8. adeiderich

adeiderich Tele-Afflicted

Shaved head (if I didn't, I would look like Larry Fine), I use a razor about every other day in the shower. Easy-peazy.

9. Brad Pittiful

Brad Pittiful Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

so true...i remember when i would go to the hair place to get buzzed in the winter...i went in with a warm head and came out with a head that felt the cold

10. Lostinthe50s

Lostinthe50s Tele-Afflicted

Not an old wives tale. You do lose more heat from your head.

11. Ben Bishop

Ben Bishop Tele-Meister

I live where there are lots of older guys with ponytails and bald spots. Sad! Keep it short or slice it off. I'm a #2 guy and the only way I'm sloppy is on the back of the neck but the only way to get it right is to find a good woman. It's so much easier to find a good Tele.

12. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

I shaved my head once but then I looked like an old man.

I do the mohawkadour thing now, very comfortable in the heat and I don't look 60

13. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I'm just angry that this trend came along.

If everyone still wore their hair a little longer, the transplants would be real cheap by now. And the guys would be super proficient at it, like they do Lasik. Maybe the problem is some guys have no good hair at all to work with.

I've got a ton of great hair; just not precisely where it needs to be. I need to break down and get it rearranged and it sounds pretty darned expensive.

If I shaved my head, I'd look like the Skinhead guy in the movie Repo Man. I ain't doing that. And I'm still pissed my Dad made me get a crew cut in fourth grade and much of fifth grade. Why, I could get that haircut, wear a T shirt with a sport jacket and go for the "Sluggo" look. :eek:

14. DuncanAngus

DuncanAngus Tele-Afflicted

About 15 years ago I noticed, to my horror, that I was on my way to a Comb Over. You basically just start parting your hair 2-3 hairs over every day and in a year you've moved 1/2" closer to your ear. A girl I worked with brought in clippers and buzzed me one day at lunch. Never looked back.

I use a #1 and do it myself about every 10 days. I don't want to shave it because that's a lot of maintenance and I don't even like shaving my face, let alone my head. Stubble on your face is OK, not on your head...

15. Maxwell Street

Maxwell Street Friend of Leo's

Sluggo...:lol:

and of course there's...Mr Clean, Mr Clean, Mr Clean...

16. SamClemons

SamClemons Poster Extraordinaire

I will insult a whole, whole, bunch of folks on this board, and this is strictly a personal opinion, but I will tell you what your friends and family probably won't tell you. Good looking movie starts can pull off just about anything, like shaving their heads, and look good, even some women can do, but generally I think men with shaved heads looks....not good and not the best on anyone. Ask your wife, ask your mother, ask your sister for a true opinion...should I shave my head?

17. gandsfjord

gandsfjord Tele-Meister

In temperatures of -4C (25 F), assuming equal layers of clothing all over, 50% of your heat loss goes through the head. According to the Norwegian army.

As my sargeant said: "If your feet are cold, put on a hat".

I guess the blood passes close to the surface on your head compared to rest of body? And a lot of blood passes through the head. The brain is the most expensive organ in the body in terms of oxygen and energy required to run it.

PS. Back to topic: I've been wearing my buzz ever shorter over the past 7-8 years. The day is near when I'll just continue upwards with the razor.
    Also, If you think you look weird, you look weird. If you think you look good, you look good. Reality is controlled by yourself. DS

PPS.
    Nothing worth keeping, would you say?
    [​IMG]
    DS

18. studio

studio Poster Extraordinaire

maybe yer lookin' at the wrong end!

:oops:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.